IGNORED

Beck

Capsaicin

Well, what do you guys think about this man? The only albums I don't listen to fairly frequently are Sea Change and Stereopathetic Soulmanure

I love Beck, i have been with him all the way since Mellow Gold (i saw him live for that tour)

i just wish he was not a scientologist.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never got Mellow Gold, the single was fun but not the style of music I was into at the time. I liked the singles from Odelay better but didn't get the album (or his others) till much later. Here are the ones I enjoy most.

Midnite Vultures

Mutations

Odelay

Modern Change

Guero

I like some material off the others but I guess I haven't listened to them enough to really get into the albums as a whole.

hes obviously a talented guy, but something about his work rings a little hollow. not sure what it is... like its all just an act. a good one, but an act none the less.

plus-

scientologist.

wow really, I though guerolito was putrid. what's your fav remix on there?

BoC one of Broken Drum, the original is a wonderful track anyway. It was just one of those brilliant remixes that sounds so different but is still very sincere to the original at the same time.

Jumped the gun on my statement though, should of put = instead of >. I liked the 8-bit remix of Hell Yes and Octet remix a lot. Guero was good, but some of the lesser tracks were nothing special: just decent loops and cliche breakbeats. Guerolito was just more assorted I guess.

1.one foot in the grave

2.steropathic soul manure

3.mellow gold (steal my body home ftw)

4.(sea change)

first time i heard beck was seeing the beercan video on Acid. oh boy. i then vomited fractals all over my friends drive before having a brief but enlightening conversation with his budgie in the kitchen. good times

wow really, I though guerolito was putrid. what's your fav remix on there?

BoC one of Broken Drum, the original is a wonderful track anyway. It was just one of those brilliant remixes that sounds so different but is still very sincere to the original at the same time.

Jumped the gun on my statement though, should of put = instead of >. I liked the 8-bit remix of Hell Yes and Octet remix a lot. Guero was good, but some of the lesser tracks were nothing special: just decent loops and cliche breakbeats. Guerolito was just more assorted I guess.

ah yes the boc remix, i'd forgotten that was on lito because i had the deluxe edition of geuro and it was on that.

• 1 year later...

i love beck. here are my top 10 favorite beck albums:

10. modern guilt

9. stereopathic soul manure

8. one foot in the grave

7. midnite vultures

6. guero

5. mellow gold

4. the information

3. mutations

2. sea change

1. odelay

modern guilt is a piece of shit. dangermouse laid a fat fucking egg on this record, no surprise. flat shit-awful production that sounds like it's being sprayed out of a garden hose. no stars.

the information is incredible by comparison. might be the best "sounding" record of all of his. no surprise either considering nigel godrich produced it.

odelay is a stunningly accomplished, original album and is truly one of the greatest albums recorded of all time.

i probably listen to mutations on the most because i like to put it in the rotation when i have people over to my house.

sea change is heartbreaking and gorgeous.

i dont listen to stereopathic or one foot in the grave, i dont really have an opinion. they're not my thing. i need more sound from my beck.

midnite vultures was fun when it came out but it just didnt age very well. just kind of a novelty joke album.

geuro is hit and miss. earthquake weather is an amazing track. geurolito might be the shittiest collection of remixes i've ever heard.

that's about it

those two sentences makes me lol so hard so some totally random reason.

but yeah... I actually listened to Modern Guilt for the first time since I bought it. It's very very very "Beck" but yeah.... the mixing of those drums is just really shitty. WTF dangermouse. I thought everyone cums over his shit?

I still prefer listening to The Information over his other albums... just such a great selection of trippy grooves

the information is incredible by comparison. might be the best "sounding" record of all of his. no surprise either considering nigel godrich produced it.

this... godrich is a good man to have in the studio...

question for those who really hate beck b/c he's a Scientologist. Are you really embedded to a different religion or not religious at all?

I ask this mainly b/c I don't really see religion as a buying point of an album really. If i were a scientologist, i wouldn't see his albums as any more appealing. If it's good it's good. Who cares, it's not like he's subliminally trying to convert you or something. Some of you act like he killed your parents or some shit.

• 2 weeks later...

question for those who really hate beck b/c he's a Scientologist. Are you really embedded to a different religion or not religious at all?

I ask this mainly b/c I don't really see religion as a buying point of an album really. If i were a scientologist, i wouldn't see his albums as any more appealing. If it's good it's good. Who cares, it's not like he's subliminally trying to convert you or something. Some of you act like he killed your parents or some shit.

I hear that, man. The only time a musician's religion affects me one way or another is if it comes off prominantly in their lyrics. With Beck, it doesn't at all. So I don't give a fuck what his religious beliefs are.

His lyrics are so cryptic. Occasionally there are images that suggest he's talking about Scientology in certain songs. "Volcano" for instance.

It really doesn't have any effect on my opinion of his music whatsoever, though part of the appeal can be that impenetrable spaced out spiritual feel to his music. If you really dig deep into the lyrics sometimes you notice he's talking about some very big topics. Sea Change really shows this off. I feel like it's much more than a "breakup album."

I don't know, I'm growing obsessed with this dude. I like everything he's done, and I'm even starting to come around on Modern Guilt which has a few great songs on it ("Modern Guilt"). The production is extremely minimal compared to most of his other stuff

Sorry if my writing comes off in an irritating way, I'm seriously in love with this stuff in a way I haven't felt about any music for some time.

Midnite Vultures is my favorite, though everything could be called that at any given time. I personally believe it's a modern day masterpiece.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIu2D4pFVio

FUCK

To me Beck is a true musical genius. I've used that word many times but it's almost incomprehensible the greatness he's created over the years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hYE-8xgXMk

A song like this is an example of how Beck's albums are packed so full of great pieces of music and songwriting that it's almost impossible to keep track of all of them at once.

It's easy to overlook this stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDvblyctblU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQS9_ei66Co

• 7 years later...

listening right now to Colors... we lost him... :(

every new album he puts out i keep expecting he gets back to his stoner folk like in mellow gold but i guess it is time to stop dreaming...

R.I.P. (return if possible)

is this nostalgia or is this truly a fucking great song???

well i'll give it some more tries, but since mellow gold is my favorite album it's just natural that i don't dig this album that much... i mean some songs are catchy but it's too electro pop, but not in an experimental way like midnite vultures...

Archived