8. one foot in the grave

7. midnite vultures

6. guero

5. mellow gold

4. the information

3. mutations

2. sea change

1. odelay

modern guilt is a piece of shit. dangermouse laid a fat fucking egg on this record, no surprise. flat shit-awful production that sounds like it's being sprayed out of a garden hose. no stars.

the information is incredible by comparison. might be the best "sounding" record of all of his. no surprise either considering nigel godrich produced it.

odelay is a stunningly accomplished, original album and is truly one of the greatest albums recorded of all time.

i probably listen to mutations on the most because i like to put it in the rotation when i have people over to my house.

sea change is heartbreaking and gorgeous.

i dont listen to stereopathic or one foot in the grave, i dont really have an opinion. they're not my thing. i need more sound from my beck.

midnite vultures was fun when it came out but it just didnt age very well. just kind of a novelty joke album.

geuro is hit and miss. earthquake weather is an amazing track. geurolito might be the shittiest collection of remixes i've ever heard.

that's about it

Guest bitroast

i love beck.

that's about it

hehe i agree with a lot of this. except modern guilt isn't that bad. the production does take up a big part of the album but i've really warmed to it. if you still disagree, check out the acoustic take of the album. soul of a man, totally crappy song on the album really shines without dangermouses production. also, orphans. whole things worth checking out.

i love beck. here are my top 10 favorite beck albums:

10. modern guilt

9. stereopathic soul manure

8. one foot in the grave

7. midnite vultures

6. guero

5. mellow gold

4. the information

3. mutations

2. sea change

1. odelay

modern guilt is a piece of shit. dangermouse laid a fat fucking egg on this record, no surprise. flat shit-awful production that sounds like it's being sprayed out of a garden hose. no stars.

the information is incredible by comparison. might be the best "sounding" record of all of his. no surprise either considering nigel godrich produced it.

odelay is a stunningly accomplished, original album and is truly one of the greatest albums recorded of all time.

i probably listen to mutations on the most because i like to put it in the rotation when i have people over to my house.

sea change is heartbreaking and gorgeous.

i dont listen to stereopathic or one foot in the grave, i dont really have an opinion. they're not my thing. i need more sound from my beck.

midnite vultures was fun when it came out but it just didnt age very well. just kind of a novelty joke album.

geuro is hit and miss. earthquake weather is an amazing track. geurolito might be the shittiest collection of remixes i've ever heard.

that's about it

I love beck too so I'll also do one of these things:

Sea Change > Guero > Odelay > The Information > Modern Guilt > Mellow Gold > Midnite Vultures

I haven't heard his earliest albums - pre mellow gold so i won't include them. For some reason, I completely passed over Mutations and still don't know what it sounds like. So that's not rated either. I have to check that out.

i liked "The Information" but always saw it as - a lighter version of Guero. Which I love every song on. It's a very "Pop"-ish album - moreso than anything else he's done I think. As for Odelay, I like it almost as much as Guero - but only slightly - also a perfect album to me.

I do think Modern Guilt is great. But then again, I like Danger Mouse. However, it just seems to have a lower lasting impression on me than alot of his albums before it. I heard some of the acoustic versions of it - and that's fantastic and you should definately check it out if you want a Non-dangermouse produced version of the album. Mellow Gold also has a low lasting impression on me for some reason. I enjoy it while it's on, but I don't really remember it all that well.

I think Sea Change is Beck's best album because it's has his best written songs. The music is perfect, the lyrics are great, the production - fantastic (also Nigel Godrich). It's like the perfect album. Probably in my general top 5 albums EVER.

I have to agree with Midnite Vultures - it was really kinda novel to me.. I still like it just less than any other Beck album I've heard.

Guest Sir Winston
i love beck.

that's about it

Now I dont know if this is a joke as in 'Heartland Feeling' there is this line at the end of the chorus, or am I being a MASSIVE geek and just get my coat?

Guest bitroast
i love beck.

that's about it

Now I dont know if this is a joke as in 'Heartland Feeling' there is this line at the end of the chorus, or am I being a MASSIVE geek and just get my coat?

haha i didn't realise this :) that song is definitely one of the highlights from that cassette.

Guest Sir Winston

Yeah it is a patchy release but then pretty much all the early cassettes were, I am amazed Mellow Gold was as together as it was listening to Stereopathetic.

i love beck. one foot in the grave is my favorite album at the moment. i buddy of mine just picked up the 2xlp reissue of that album, and i would reccomend it highly. the second record is pretty much all previously unreleased shit. i'm realy into the rugged acoustic weirdo kinda stuff from back in the day. you can find a lot of really interesting old demo tapes on soulseek (fresh meat, old slabs... banjo story)

yup. love beck

how the fuck can you people be rating fucking "guero" above the amazing "midnight vultures"? fred mcgriff and homestar runner specifically.

I just prefer Guero's Pop/Folk-Rock sound over the Funk/Classic Rock sound of Midnite Vulture.

• 1 month later...

Odelay and Mellow are my faves too, and I guess the most important of his albums too. Sea Change is good and a nice change up, but honestly it kind of puts me to sleep when I first heard it all the way through.

Guerolito > Guero. Guero proved that the Dust Brothers never improved their production skills beyond some clever looping.

Beck was, to his defense, raised as a scientologist. Still have no idea how a talented and seemingly intelligent person wouldn't figure out his religion is a bad sci-fi script, but oh well.

Beck was, to his defense, raised as a scientologist. Still have no idea how a talented and seemingly intelligent person wouldn't figure out his religion is a bad sci-fi script, but oh well.

Here's what he has to say about it

Beck has been involved in Scientology for most of his life; his wife is also a second-generation Scientologist. Marissa and her twin brother, Giovanni, were delivered by Beck's mother, Bibbe.[68] Beck publicly acknowledged his affiliation with the controversial Church of Scientology for the first time in an interview published in The New York Times Magazine on March 6, 2005. Further confirmation came in an interview with the Irish Sunday Tribune's i Magazine on June 11, 2005, where he was quoted as saying, "Yeah, I'm a Scientologist. My father has been a Scientologist for about 35 years, so I grew up in and around it." When questioned by the interviewer about Scientology's core beliefs, he replied:

What it actually is is just sort of, uh, you know, I think it's about philosophy and sort of, uh, all these kinds of, you know, ideals that are common to a lot of religions....There's nothing fantastical...just a real deep grassroots concerted effort for humanitarian causes. I don't know if you know the stuff they have. It's unbelievable the stuff they are doing. Education...they have free centres all over the place for poor kids. They have the number one drug rehabilitation programme in the entire world (called Narconon). It has a 90-something percent success rate...When you look at the actual facts and not what's conjured in people's minds that's all bullshit to me because I've actually seen stuff first hand.

I find it odd that he doesn't give a clear answer about the core beliefs, and quickly jumps to the charity stuff

And a bad sci-fi scripted religion? That's totally up Beck's alley

Anyway... *plays Loser*

ow yeahhh

Archived