IGNORED

Spree killing at Ft. Hood, TX

joshuatxuk

Suspect's name is Malik Nadal Hasan, and he is a mental health professional and US Army officer. There are reports/rumors he might be a recent Muslim convert and was upset at deploying overseas.

Great, another media shitstorm ahead. :facepalm:

i heard that he was shot, but lived... currently in the hospital?

Yeah, there was (unsuprisingly) a lot mistakes in the early reports. He's guarded, on ventilation at a hospital. He's the only perpentrator and all who were questioned otherwise have been released. Total death toll is 13, mostly younger enlisted troops, but also including a 62 year old who had survived a heart attack last month and recently returned to work as a physician assistant.

If someone is susceptible to extremism and also practices Islam, then it's only a matter of time before they 'justify' in their minds that it's their duty to go insane and kill everyone for Allah. Sad but true.

Also just found out he was apparently yelling, "Allahu akbar" (God is great) while shooting everyone. And continued to shoot the wounded on the ground to make sure they died. It's another horrible tragedy fueled by religion.

I can feel the dreadful core of this story even before it comes out. I've worked in psychiatry for 11 years and have had several close psychiatrist friends. I saw a lot of anger problems, substance abuse (one of my best suppliers was a psychiatrist), extramarital affairs, and just general unhappiness--yet, they would bend over backward and make someone's life 100x better in the office and hospital. It was always a question of who heals the healer?

So, this guy's 2nd generation so he was born and raised American but that makes fuck all difference--ask my Desi Indian friends who got flipped off on the highway after 9/11. I know this guy was getting shit from both the white side and the Arab side. He's been on duty for the entirety of the Iraqi/Afghan situation listening to horrible stories and seeing maimed soldiers all day long. He was set to deploy and I would not blame him for freaking out. Anyone with any Arab descent in their appearance and is colluding with the U.S. like translators are the first to get fucking tagged.

Can you imagine a Japanese Army physician working for us during WWII? (well, we wouldn't have allowed it). The term "cognitive dissonance" doesn't even begin to cover it. He was 39 and unmarried and confessed to his Imam that he was lonely but never liked the women he tried to connect with. He had a profile on a Muslim "match.com" thing but he reported that it wasn't going very well.

I mean, you could not make a bigger cauldron of fucking risk factors than this guy. We got: no pussy, a job that has the highest suicide rate second only to dentists, identity crisis, social vs. religious vs. occupational crises i.e. "where do I fit?" Thing is, he's savvy as fuck because he knows to keep all this on lock until the right time. His job is to identify people just like him (!) "the bank manager robs the bank", etc.

So, that's my take so far. Will be interesting if he wakes up. As always, war is hell.

what a beautiful piece of fiction, heh.

If someone is susceptible to extremism and also practices Islam, then it's only a matter of time before they 'justify' in their minds that it's their duty to go insane and kill everyone for Allah. Sad but true.

Ah the experts speak.

Archived