IGNORED

Phone Upgrade Time

Tessier Ashpool

nokia 5800.

the iphone killer.

I actually have the precursor version of this phone the 5610 - which is a slider and it's pretty awesome.

If you don't mind a 3.2mp cam + is actually a music phone so it's semi tailored that way. Has radio / mp3 playback.

My only tiff with it is the 2.5mm jack (as opposed to 3.5mm). The 5800 looks awesome though - and it fixes that 2.5mm problem. I would totally get it except I actually like button keys as opposed to touch screen dialing.

However that's not to say i'm not tempted.

That's another thing - it seems the US pays the highest for cell phone plans...

yes, they pay the highest, get the shittiest services, and get the worst phones.

you know there's a problem when carriers market a phone to customers by claiming "Voicemail" and "Text Messaging" are features

How long is left on your AT&T contract? If you're dying to get a smart phone on another carrier like a Pre or Blackberry, you could reduce your mothly rate to the min plan they have which is $29.99 a mo. And just let it sit there, then sign up for whoever you want. This is what I did when I switched to Helio a couple of years ago, funny now I'm back at AT&T but oh well.

cant you guys in the states buy a phone off-contract? like, in a store? you pay more for the phone itself, but you can pick your favorite carrier then...

the majority of mobile phones in the US use CDMA standard, which means that you can't just buy a phone and go with any carrier you choose....at least not as easily as you can on GSM networks because GSM networks have SIM cards.

How long is left on your AT&T contract? If you're dying to get a smart phone on another carrier like a Pre or Blackberry, you could reduce your mothly rate to the min plan they have which is $29.99 a mo. And just let it sit there, then sign up for whoever you want. This is what I did when I switched to Helio a couple of years ago, funny now I'm back at AT&T but oh well.

Ahh, I got until March 2010 - My monthly minute plan is already at the lowest (with an extra 5 bucks for text messaging). Really, I text WAY more than I talk, so I've got like 2 bazillion rollover minutes.

The smartphone thing is what I'd call, for myself, a "luxury item." Not necessary, something I REALLY WANT but can't really afford. I guess I could just *gasp* wait until March and then sign up w/someone else - though, I'm not sure I wouldn't get gouged on prices with another carrier just as bad.

Archived