IGNORED

IBM creates computer simulation of cat's brain

Guest A/D

http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/28842.wss#release

IBM announced this week that it has a computer system that can simulate the thinking power of a cat's brain with 1 billion neurons and 10 trillion synapses. At just 4.5 percent of a human brain, the computer can sense, perceive, act, interact and process ideas without consuming a lot energy.

apologies if jazz! pretty vague, but fascinating read!

. . and it's funded by DARPA! yayyyyy

That's not difficult. I could program that with Flash Actionscript on a ten year old Celeron PC.

Mainly it sleeps and sometimes wakes up for food. And farts here and there.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Sounds amazing. I don't think the understanding of the brain is really complete enough for them to really rebuild it piece by piece... it doesn't explain where the biological information is coming from.

Some more information here:

http://modha.org/

I'm probably stating the obvious here but it's not exactly a simulation of a cat's brain. It's an attempt to create brain-like behaviour on a huge schale. Their combination of hardware an software research has made it possible to have the same amount of neurons and synapses as a cat's brain. But the models they use are still at an early stage because neuroscience has a lot more ground to cover. But this will certainly help neuroscience a lot.

They also say:

"If the current trends in supercomputing continue, it seems that human-scale simulations will be possible in the not too distant future."

top500figP3.JPG

Scary.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

4114059907_b2b67e34f7.jpg

I don't get it... a duder with tie die hair survived after the right half his skull was shot off?

I refuse to believe a cats brain can be simulated, a dolphin... hell a human maybe, but cats are just too amazingly bewildering to be simulated with da zeros and ones

Guest ezkerraldean

does anyone know that Harry Ramsden's restaurant just across the road from Cribbs Causeway? it's on a road called Catbrain Hill. wtf

Archived