IGNORED

Adam Curtis blog

perunamuusi

if you don't know documentary maker Adam Curtis then you don't know anything worth knowing and you should immediately watch the trap, century of self, power of nightmares, the mayfair set etc.

reading this Afghanistan stuff (which is interspersed with some brilliant film footage) is great, not only because the more you dig into the history of the West's relationship to Afghanistan, the stranger and more complicated it gets but also because it sounds like he's speaking it to you in your mind ears.

the 12 minute film of mountaineer Peter Boardman's first hand account of his near fatal expedition to climb a peak in the Hindu Kush called Koh-i-Khaaik, at the end of part one, is worth making a thread for alone. (and it has some bonus Analogue Synth Goodness)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/afghanistan

rostowandjohnson.jpg

recordstore.jpg

poppies.jpg

Adam Curtis is fucking excellent. Love his documentaries, had a couple of cool segments on Newswipe which were also good.

Cheers LUDD. I love you, deeply.

(deeply)

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

his documentaries make me feel stupid, depressed and more intelligent. i'll give this a look when i get more time

• 3 years later...

p015xft4.jpg

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/posts/YOU-THINK-YOU-ARE-A-CONSUMER-BUT-MAYBE-YOU-HAVE-BEEN-CONSUMED

One of the guiding beliefs of our consuming age is that we are all free and independent individuals. That we can choose to do pretty much what we want, and if we can't then it's bad.

But at the same time, co-existing alongside this, there is a completely different, parallel universe where we all seem meekly to do what those in power tell us to do. Ever since the economic crisis in 2008, millions of people have accepted cuts in all sorts of things - from real wages and living standards to benefits and hospital care - without any real opposition.

The cuts may be right, or they may be stupid - but the astonishing thing is how no-one really challenges them.

Archived