IGNORED

Animal Collective

Guest AOOproductions

Guest AOOproductions

I don't get it. Do I need to be drunk and blasting the music at a heinous level to understand it or something. I mean, everyone i talk to yells at me when i call them noise... and I guess they aren't... plus Pitchfork is absolutely bananas about them, so thats just one more reason not to like them as far as im concerned. they gave their last album a 9.6 and rated it the 14th best album of the decade... sure their hasn't been a vast amount of musical statements these last 10 years... but c'mon now pitchfork. 14th best of decade?

Post good songs please that could possibly change my mind.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest southside jim

I don't get it. Do I need to be drunk and blasting the music at a heinous level to understand it or something. I mean, everyone i talk to yells at me when i call them noise... and I guess they aren't... plus Pitchfork is absolutely bananas about them, so thats just one more reason not to like them as far as im concerned. they gave their last album a 9.6 and rated it the 14th best album of the decade... sure their hasn't been a vast amount of musical statements these last 10 years... but c'mon now pitchfork. 14th best of decade?

Post good songs please that could possibly change my mind.

gonna have to straight-up agree with you on this one...got loads of friends that love AC, i can't get myself through any of their songs..

Guest AOOproductions

dude we have like three animal collective threads already

including an anti-animal collective thread

And I don't spend my time surfing through WATTM threads online.

I don't get AC, there it is. If you want, post a video to get me into it

THE END

if you keep listening, it will click at some point on some level. they have so much going on on most of their stuff it does get very noisy and abstract but usually there are great melodies. sometimes buried and sometimes right up front. they seem to be a very polarizing band and their fanatic fans will jump down your throat the second you say anything other than praising every second of everything they have ever done. they do change it up a lot but most of their stuff is very much recognizable as ac.

if you do like a challenge, they certainly provide it, but if you are convinced they arent good, instead of listening to find the good aspects of their music, you will focus on the bad and then give up. personally, i think its worth it when you find your break though, if you do, because they are and have been making some of the most interesting and forward pushing music in the last few years.

:facepalm: Just listen to Spirit They've Gone Spirit They've Vanished. Most people who listen to AC don't even know about that album and if they do don't own it. This is just a generalization but from what I've seen holds true in many cases. That is their best work imo and really is just the flat out truth....

Its like Clouddeads Ten that album was made at a special time in their lives and will never be recreated, this stands true for that album I just mentioned. Take my word for it and do yourself a favor and listen to that album with an open mind.

I do really like Merryweather Post Pavillion, and agree that is an important album of the last decade. But I can completely understand why anyone would find these guys pretty hard to stomache. I'm not sure I could listen to any of their other albums start to finish. Much of their earlier material sounds like random repetitive jamming that's been thrown together and is for the most part really irritating to hear (not to everyone, clearly, but definitely for me). It sounds like they've got a better grasp on what they're doing now, and they've definitely come up with a sound pretty unique to themselves which I can appreciate. Even with the stuff they've done that to me sounds downright horrible, I can at least appreciate the fact that they've always been doing their own thing.

animal collective is numbingly repetitive and all of their stupid rhythms and melodies are just tribal hippie cliches. boring music IMHO. even in the songs that i do like, for every cool melody there is an aggravating sound to match. it's like everything they do is Ventolin except they are totally unaware about how grating they sound.

I saw them once and spent more time worrying about how much my back hurt from standing for so long than listening to their jam-wanks.

I also read that they use tons of electronics but dont sync or quantize so they can sound more human. it just makes them sound sloppy. ALSO, i cant listen to them on headphones for more than 20 minutes. whereas, even clark is easier to listen to on phones.

on one hand, it's hopeful that "experimental" is popular these days. on the other, its irritating because its just hippies who want psychedelia they cant comprehend.

i'm just mad because i have a research paper due

animal collective is numbingly repetitive and all of their stupid rhythms and melodies are just tribal hippie cliches. boring music IMHO. even in the songs that i do like, for every cool melody there is an aggravating sound to match. it's like everything they do is Ventolin except they are totally unaware about how grating they sound.

I saw them once and spent more time worrying about how much my back hurt from standing for so long than listening to their jam-wanks.

I also read that they use tons of electronics but dont sync or quantize so they can sound more human. it just makes them sound sloppy. ALSO, i cant listen to them on headphones for more than 20 minutes. whereas, even clark is easier to listen to on phones.

on one hand, it's hopeful that "experimental" is popular these days. on the other, its irritating because its just hippies who want psychedelia they cant comprehend.

i'm just mad because i have a research paper due

all of your opinions are wrong

and down down the terlit it goes...

i used to hate these guys with a passion but i can not get enough of them in recent months. its really weird. they are def a love/hate band. and i have done both.

Guest AOOproductions

hmmm i like some of the passion i see here. I shall give it another go. Although from what I've read, their newest album has the most "audible melody" of anything so far. So I will have to keep this in mind I suppose. No time to try and like these guys now though, to much work to do before the semester ends.

hmmm i like some of the passion i see here. I shall give it another go. Although from what I've read, their newest album has the most "audible melody" of anything so far. So I will have to keep this in mind I suppose. No time to try and like these guys now though, to much work to do before the semester ends.

an interesting thing about music is that not everyone likes the same things. i know this may come as a shock to you but i can assure you its true.

if i were you, i'd start with their new ep and works backwards. or start with feels. but the merriweather album and new fall be kind ep are probably the most easily accessible

in fairness, i was hooked on "my girls" and "summertime clothes" when I first heard them. I still like that second song, but "my girls" hasnt aged well because with repeated listens i've realized I only like small bits of it, like the chorus. I feel like when I listen to AC most of my time is spent waiting for things to happen.

summertime clothes is unusually good. If I heard anything else as succinct and melodic as it I might like them more. but I've listened to the last 3 LPs and the strawberry jam EP, and I just don't see them being worth my time anymore.

one thing that fuels my frustration with them is how zealous animal collective fans are. at least if they weren't so hyped, I might not find it so hard to like them.

basically the only place ive ever heard of animal collective is this place. a few of the people ive met here at uni like them but really in british real life no-one gives a shit about them. as far as ive seen anyway.

one thing that fuels my frustration with them is how zealous animal collective fans are. at least if they weren't so hyped, I might not find it so hard to like them.

this is very true. if you want a laugh go check out the collected animals message boards. pure insanity.

Archived