IGNORED

Mars

data

Guest abusivegeorge

i know gays and they, for the most part, told me they didn't know of false colour imaging. and i ignored those that did know of it, educated swine.

Oh man I was totally thinking of the Jews, what an idiot. :facepalm: .

Guest mrcopyandpaste

is that second picture Endurance crater or Victoria crater? the Opportunity rover went to it

it's the victoria crater, here's some rover tracks:

m09_39541780.jpg

now i see that and im like 'hey man leave mars the fuck alone'

anyone else?

Guest Conor74

That's it. I'm moving to Mars.

Enjoy.

Saw a documentary series a couple of years back called Life on Mars and they're about 30 years behind. Flares and moustaches and the Bay City Rollers still really big there.

That's it. I'm moving to Mars.

Enjoy.

Saw a documentary series a couple of years back called Life on Mars and they're about 30 years behind. Flares and moustaches and the Bay City Rollers still really big there.

They've just got their first McDonalds though, that's a sign of progression.

Guest ezkerraldean

What's going on in this photo? Is the satellites hair getting in the way or something?

dust devil (little mars tornado) tracks, etched onto the surface. there's also a nice little fresh crater in there.

the rovers have both seen actual dust devils from the ground too. pretty awesome shit

Guest ezkerraldean

is there a point to false colour imaging?

yep, it can bring out compositional differences and shit like that, or just enhance colour differences that would otherwise go unnoticed to the naked eye. it also takes a suprising amount of effort to make such a complex camera take pictures that represent what the human eye would see.

I'm fascinated by Mars, seriously. I'm in love with the idea of terraforming it -

MarsTransitionV.jpg

That's an artists impression of stages of terraforming Mars. Of course it's all speculative but I think that would be human engineering used to a positive end for a change (on such a massive scale I mean). If we could pull of a spectacle like that, it would be the single most positive thing the human race has ever done.

But of course we won't. We're doomed to fail as we circle the drain and the rings get ever smaller and smaller.

This is something that has always pissed me off. I always want to see stuff as it would look if i was just looking at it in real life. Fair enough if they want exagerate colours for the scientific angle etc but what's the point otherwise?

Also, does anyone have any rover video footage? It doesn't seem like their is any.

yep, it can bring out compositional differences and shit like that, or just enhance colour differences that would otherwise go unnoticed to the naked eye. it also takes a suprising amount of effort to make such a complex camera take pictures that represent what the human eye would see.

My iphone takes pictures that the human eye would see

Seriously, what do you mean?

Guest ezkerraldean

My iphone takes pictures that the human eye would see

Seriously, what do you mean?

meh, i don't know the ins and outs of photography in any way. but the two rovers carry on them little colour plates stuck to their outsides so the camera can repeatedly refer to them for calibration.

these things 456cal.jpg from here

i guess since the cameras on space probes are uber-cameras designed to pick up shit that people can't see and probably detect wavelengths we can't see, so calibration must be more difficult. completely different light levels and atmospheric conditions on mars might play a part too

Archived