IGNORED

CHICAGO in february

Guest reyde_espana

Guest reyde_espana

hello, all. I'm going to be in CHICAGO :yeah: sometime in february and would like some help finding some Concerts to attend- ALL GENRES :music:

and/OR

local haunts, artist shows, pizza palaces, pubs, favorite Beers, :beer: etc.

Guest reyde_espana

all sounding good...

more more more!!! :yeah:

i appreciate the suggestions...

i really would like to live it up for a couple of days...

see some good shows... eat the best food...

would certainly make up for a very crappy year :wacko:

Go to Ditka's and get a steak. Also, get ahold of some deep dish pizza. Lou Malnati's, Due's, Gino's East or Giordanos. Also, stop by Millenium Park, Go to the top of the Sears (now Willis) Tower and check out the museums (Field Museum, Art Institute and Museum of Science and Industry, Adler Planetarium, Shed Aquarium, etc). If you have time, go to Lou Mitchell's for breakfast (it's 3 or 4 blocks from the Sears Tower) and go for a ride on the ferris wheel at Navy Pier (preferably on a clear day... Either way you WILL freeze your dick off). If you like seafood, go to Bob Chin's. If you can, try to hunt down a bakery that sells Swedish Flop cake and eat that shit. Don't forget to get a Chicago Style Hotdog (just about anywhere with a Vienna Beef logo will do).

If you do half of this shit you'll have a dope time.

The Original Uno's Pizza ftw, although Gino's east is wicked, as is the ambiance there. The Shed Aquarium is a sight to behold, really. I love that place. Also, if at all possible, and the day is fairly clear, take some LSD and got to the top of the sears tower. Fuck that blew my mind 10 years ago... fuck time flies... Keep an eye open for shitty looking hole in the wall restaurants, as they are often times like jewels embedded in commercialized shit.

Willis Tower. :wink:

NEVER!!!! Sears 4 lyfe. Also, try and stay away from the 35th & state, 41st & federal area. Although I think it's not as bad as it used to be, the projects that used to be there when I was runnin there to get shit were the closest things to hell on earth I have encountered. They tore 'em down in '04 but still....

The Original Uno's Pizza ftw, although Gino's east is wicked, as is the ambiance there. The Shed Aquarium is a sight to behold, really. I love that place. Also, if at all possible, and the day is fairly clear, take some LSD and got to the top of the sears tower. Fuck that blew my mind 10 years ago... fuck time flies... Keep an eye open for shitty looking hole in the wall restaurants, as they are often times like jewels embedded in commercialized shit.

Hell ya, the original Unos is sooo good. Check The Field Museum, and aquarium as others have mentioned as well!

I hesitated saying the original UNOs only because if someone makes a mistake it's a big one. But yes, the original UNOs is the bomb.

It's also totally true about "holeinthewall" eateries. Because I grew up in Chicago, I have a certain senibility that the shittier a place looks, the better their food is. It's mostly true... but only really in the Chi.

Guest reyde_espana

yyyessss yyessssss....

me and wife are going for our anniversary... we were thinking about going to Topolobampo and dropping some serious cash...

aside from that i think we will be feasting on hot dogs and pizza....

for site seeing well go the museums (my wifes a art history major) and as suggested the aquarium...

the top of the Sears tower seems corny and cool...

IN TERMS OF PIZZA AND HOT DOGS WERE PRETTY CONFUSED

we hate the Unos chain... but we keep hearing that the original is something different... Lou Malnati's is also on our radar... we dont really wanna spend an hour in line so were hoping someone will suggest the best no fuss deep dish

Guest reyde_espana

seems Hot Dougs is the dog mecca

and Burts Place seems to be the up and coming pizzeria

it also seems theres some good public transportation...

seems Hot Dougs is the dog mecca

and Burts Place seems to be the up and coming pizzeria

it also seems theres some good public transportation...

Any roadside hot dog stand will do. I mean if there's a place that you would consider calling a "hot dog mecca" I immediately suggest you walk a block or 2 down the road and buy from someone selling on the street. Please someone back me up on this. I remember going to this Mexican joint that looked just terrible on the outside, and the inside didn't help my confidence, but I'll be damned I've never had better and AUTHENTIC Mexican food in my life. I tried a cow tongue taco on a whim and I almost came in my pants.

Regarding Burts Place, I haven't been.

Decent public transpo yes, although I haven't ridden on it in years. When I was just up there I took a cab to and from union station to my place of destination.

What really sucks about your Chicago trip is the time of year. I mean February in Chicago SUCKS. I mean unless you guys get record warm weather or something, you aren't going to want to go exploring too much. It's just going to be too goddamn cold. Where are you staying exactly?

It depends on what kind of food you want, too, and where you're staying, since some places will be easier to get to from certain areas.

Top three places I think you would like: One of my favorites in the city is Avec. They always have fresh, well-prepared and surprising combinations of ingredients. It's relaxed but cool, and the service is low-key and pleasant. A similar vibe, but with more home-style food and snout-to-tail charcuterie, is mado (BYOB). Another BYOB with home-made pasta and Italian-style three-course fare (you can choose which courses you want, or get them all) is Terragusto.

There are two quirky, awesome and amazing meat-centered places up north, Hot Doug's, the 'encased meat emporium' that serves the craziest dressed-up hot dogs you could think of, with a smile, a cheesily-decorated room and a line around the block; and Kuma's Corner, where you can get ridiculously huge, over-topped but well-thought-out burgers while drinking great beer and listening to heavy metal.

My favorite Chicago deep dish pizza is Pizzeria Uno. But we also have some really great Neapolitan-style pizza at Coalfire, Spacca Napoli and Pizza D.O.C.

Going to Burt's woudl be fun, although it's a bit out of the city, and YOU MUST CALL YOUR ORDER IN AHEAD or they will not serve you. They are totally weird like that, and can be rude if you don't follow the rules. Burt's beard is fucking EPIC.

There's a few great Thai places right around where I live, notably Spoon Thai and Sticky Rice.

Three delicious but different Italian spots are Mia Francesca (swanky), La Bocca Della Verita (low-key, neighborhood joint) and Trattoria Roma (feels authentic).

you never heard of great lake? It was voted best pizza in the country by GQ mag. It sounds good too.

I forgot about bayless. Id check his place too.

Great Lake sounds awesome and looks fucking amazing!

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=great+lake+pizza+chicago&m=text

No offence but I don't see what the point of going to Chicago and getting brick-oven-style pizza is.

If you are living there, sure, brick oven can be nice from time to time. But you can get a decent slice of brick-oven za in just about any major city in the US.

If you are going to Chicago to visit, get a motherfucking deep dish pizza...

deepdish.jpg

h4k4674c96d4e21c.jpg

chicago-pizza.jpg

you never heard of great lake? It was voted best pizza in the country by GQ mag. It sounds good too.

i think i remember that article. wanted to punch the fucker who wrote it so hard in the face though. cheese pizza this, cheese pizza that. well at least a few new haven spots made it on the list. but i pretty much disagreed with everything he had to say about pizza.

Guest reyde_espana

i think i remember that article. wanted to punch the fucker who wrote it so hard in the face though. cheese pizza this, cheese pizza that. well at least a few new haven spots made it on the list. but i pretty much disagreed with everything he had to say about pizza.

yyeaahhh... depbating and everything... i like the passion

im going to chicago to check the city out... im from Puerto Rico... and my wifes wants to continue her studies in the Art Institute

so we reeeaalllllyyy wanna check the scene out...

if anybody wants to tour guide us for a day we would really appreciate it! :beer:

Archived