IGNORED

bands that are mega hyped

Alzado

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Sprigg

I always hear Opeth is the shit when it comes to more technical and clean metal.

I absolutely love Opeth. Them ,and Between the Buried and Me (occasionally some Behold the Arctopus) are the only metal bands I can even stomach anymore.

Check out Opeth's 'Blackwater Park' album, it's easily their best.

Guest Greg Reason

reiterating beatles, u2, muse, rem, etc.

The Beatles? You can't be serious. They're the most important band in history. Whether you like them or don't like them has no pertinence in recognizing what they did not just for music but also for major cultural shift.

Putting them in the same bag as U2, Muse etc is a joke. It's like comparing Da Vinci to your friends daughter because they both use paint

I absolutely love Opeth. Them ,and Between the Buried and Me (occasionally some Behold the Arctopus) are the only metal bands I can even stomach anymore.

I think Still Life is better. But Meshuggah slay the lot of them.

Guest ansgaria

I always hear Opeth is the shit when it comes to more technical and clean metal.

'Blackwater Park' might just be the most essential metal album of this world. I adore Opeth in so many ways, more than I can ever adore Meshuggah. I love those guys as well, but they're not nearly as inspiring as Opeth.

Guest Greg Reason

'Blackwater Park' might just be the most essential metal album of this world. I adore Opeth in so many ways, more than I can ever adore Meshuggah. I love those guys as well, but they're not nearly as inspiring as Opeth.

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion so I won't go on a rampage

but I strongly disagree. I find Opeth - while excellent and flawlessly executed - to be pretty standard stuff. Very traditional elements recombined in a nice way that is great fun but not really breaking any new ground or doing anything that hasn't been done before.

Meshuggah, on the other hand, practically invented their own genre. Other metal bands still haven't caught up with them, they still sound as fresh and unique now as they did back in 1994 on None and they make me wanna jump up and down every time I hear them. I just don't get that with Opeth. I love em but they just don't make me excited like Meshuggah do.

Guest ansgaria

Everyone's entitled to their own opinion so I won't go on a rampage

but I strongly disagree. I find Opeth - while excellent and flawlessly executed - to be pretty standard stuff. Very traditional elements recombined in a nice way that is great fun but not really breaking any new ground or doing anything that hasn't been done before.

Meshuggah, on the other hand, practically invented their own genre. Other metal bands still haven't caught up with them, they still sound as fresh and unique now as they did back in 1994 on None and they make me wanna jump up and down every time I hear them. I just don't get that with Opeth. I love em but they just don't make me excited like Meshuggah do.

True, true. I respect both bands immensely, but for entirely different reasons. I'd say I respect Meshuggah for their technicality, unique indeed as you put it, but I must admit from time to time I get bored with listening to a Meshuggah record, especially 'obZen', which seems to be a bit repetitive. Like, "Oh, here comes another polyrhymtic section... and another one... and another one..." in almost the same context (if that makes sense).

Not that you're necessarily stating that music has to be groundbreaking to be good, but it's only a tiny, tiny amount of artists that does that these days. Opeth has a sense of beauty that I can't find in Meshuggah, but I wouldn't go look for it; it's just not in Meshuggah's 'nature'. There's just something that clings better with Opeth I guess.

'Spasm' off the 'Nothing' record is some of the best metal shit ever though, not even Opeth can top that sort of technicality and musical madness.

Guest cuntainer

reiterating beatles, u2, muse, rem, etc.

The Beatles? You can't be serious. They're the most important band in history. Whether you like them or don't like them has no pertinence in recognizing what they did not just for music but also for major cultural shift.

Putting them in the same bag as U2, Muse etc is a joke. It's like comparing Da Vinci to your friends daughter because they both use paint

I think Still Life is better. But Meshuggah slay the lot of them.

i can be serious...

they might have had a big influence in chart music, but i've never been interested in chart music, i dont care about marketability, so if anything, they have helped make music worse for me, so why would i appreciate them?

although i dont mind some lennon tunes.

would you argue the same point if i said lou reed or velvet underground i wonder?

and mentioning them with in the same sentence as other bands didnt imply that i thought they were all the same in the way you're suggesting, but conversely, if i had a friend who had a daughter who used paint, which i assume she makes art with, it wouldn't be absurd to compare her to da vinci since they both make/made art, art is art, you can compare anything to anything else, no opinion is absolute and we are all individuals, who's to say what is better or worse? not that i would ever compare a friends daughter to da vinci.

i recognize everything as equal, everything has influence on everything else, no matter how small, and i couldn't care less that i was discrediting the most "popular" band of a certain period.

Guest cuntainer

yeah but dude beatles had an impact that just cannot be ignored. they're not "hyped" in the traditional sense but rather immensely respected for their impact on music. they changed everything and triggered a cultural phenomena that went way beyond music. I would seriously bet that 98% of western musicians in modern times were influenced by the beatles in a major way.

so regardless of whether or not you like them, they aren't mega-hyped in the same way AC or radiohead are because they existed as an entitity that expanded beyond just their collective musical output.

i will agree that no matter how much i dislike them,

i cannot deny that they have directly and indirectly influenced the music i like the most,

but the same can be said for just about anything.

it's obviously impossible to know a different reality,

but if the beatles never existed it is possible there would be more music i liked, but the opposite is also possible,

that's why i don't care for the kind of argument you've raised,

and i still think they were and still are overrated and over hyped, obviously it's just my opinion.

but hey who am i to judge when radiohead are one of my fav bands... though i did get into them around 2005,

not knowing who they were and how hyped they were,

i was just going through some of my sisters collection and she had hail to the thief.

...i'm sure hitler and/or nixon and/or reagan and/or one of the bush's has had an influence on music i like a lot, but i dont like any of them. (or respect them)

Archived