IGNORED

bands that are mega hyped

Alzado

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it seems like everybody and their brother loves Grizzly Bear. i can't get into their albums at all. I have the same experience with Animal Collective.

:cisfor:

Same here! Also...

battles

sigur ros

lady gaga (wtf? seriously?)

arcade fire

kings of leon

tom waits

+ a zillion more

beach house

I used to agree, but I really like their new album, Teen Dream

Beach House for me too.

Phoenix

Air

Phoenix are great!

Vampire Weekend = :wtf:

agreed

battles

sigur ros

lady gaga (wtf? seriously?)

arcade fire

kings of leon

tom waits

+ a zillion more

i love sigur ros and tom waits. i can't get into arcade fire at all.

m83

agreed

Deerhunter.

agreed

Soooo many.

I will be controversial here and start with BoC. Sure some of their stuff is mindblowingly good, but for me at least half of every album is padded out with filler.

The Strokes

Vampire Weekend

Kings of Leon

The Killers (classic first album, bit dodgy ever since and getting worse)

Just for starters.

Vampire Weekend = :wtf:

This. Serious WTF.

Of course there are tons of others, but some already mentioned I also don't get/hate:

Lady Gaga (seems even people with respectable taste listen to her...seriously?)

Arcade Fire (their first album made me want to kill babies)

Kings of Leon (ew, from what I've heard)

M83 (what I've heard is fucking crap)

The Killers (can't stand their overproduced insincere sound since the first song I ever heard)

The Strokes (yeah WTF is the big deal?)

Others mentioned I like:

Grizzly Bear: first time I ever heard Veckatimest it was a complete snooze-fest except for 'Two Weeks' which I'd already heard and prompted me to get the album. The second spin was only mildly more interesting. However with the 3rd, songs began to stand out and next thing you know there are five or six 5-star songs on the album. There are still a few duds though, unfortunately. On the other hand, I've tried listening to Yellow House a few times and still find it very boring.

Animal Collective: I like MWPP quite a bit but can't get into their older stuff. They always seemed "weird for the sake of being weird" to me. I tried Strawberry Jam two weeks ago and it was rather painful.

whenever people seem to be universally going nuts over something, I'm usually pretty pumped to hear it. if it's bringing everybody else so much joy, i want to share the experience. so in that way, it's kind of disappointing when i can't get my head around the album or band.

animal collective makes pretty shitty noise music. their recent stuff is better, but what they accomplish in style i feel they lack in depth. their music just doesn't sit well with a ton of listens.

whenever people seem to be universally going nuts over something, I'm usually pretty pumped to hear it. if it's bringing everybody else so much joy, i want to share the experience. so in that way, it's kind of disappointing when i can't get my head around the album or band.

Yeah the problem with that is that hype often leads to disappointment. Especially if the album/band being hyped isn't necessarily in a genre you normally like, then you hear it, and you don't like it. Surprise surprise. :wink: I generally don't get excited about hyped stuff unless it's in line with my tastes. Then I get :w00t: at the thought of something potentially awesome.

I agree with most of the ones in here, especially Grizzly Bear and Beach House. I don't get all the hype for The Knife/Fever Ray. Cool tracks but I can't stand the singer's voice.

PHISH

Rolling Stones

The Eagles

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Oasis

Rihanna

Kanye West

Nickelback

Every group that cannot perform well live, but over produces their recordings, tricking you to think they are capable of such lavish performances, only to totally fail live.

*edit, especially when it comes to guitar solos

Grizzly Bear & Animal Collective are always the first that come to mind,though I do like a few Animal Collective tracks...

The Arcade Fire

Deerhunter / Atlas Sound

The Mars Volta (but I've never really sat down and gave them a chance)

Wolfmother

PHISH

Rolling Stones

The Eagles

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Oasis

Rihanna

Kanye West

Nickelback

Every group that cannot perform well live, but over produces their recordings, tricking you to think they are capable of such lavish performances, only to totally fail live.

*edit, especially when it comes to guitar solos

ditto!

Archived