IGNORED

bands that are mega hyped

Alzado

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i just wanted to say that i agree with pretty much every post 90s band people haven mentioned in here

tool, deerhunter, feverray, the knife, animal collective, U2, radiohead, any Eno (excluding his cluster collaborations) goldfrapp, crystal casltes, and most others mentioned in here

but i'd like to take the time to include overhyped electronic acts as well:

burial, bassnectar, flying lotus, Caspa, Rusko, Kode 9, glitchmob, Girltalk, Ryoksopp, Chromeo, boards of canada ( :emotawesomepm9: ), Black moth super rainbow

well out of the entire genre of dubstep i feel like caspa and rusko are possibly the worst perpetrators in the scene. they have contributed nothing of value. unless making dubstep embarrassing on a whole new level has value to it.

Kode 9 on the other hand contributed a lot and i like some of his music but hes just really fucking overhyped.

this thread seems designed for me to exercise my hate gland so i think ill take a break for a while

well out of the entire genre of dubstep i feel like caspa and rusko are possibly the worst perpetrators in the scene. they have contributed nothing of value. unless making dubstep embarrassing on a whole new level has value to it.

Kode 9 on the other hand contributed a lot and i like some of his music but hes just really fucking overhyped.

this thread seems designed for me to exercise my hate gland so i think ill take a break for a while

oddly enough what you said about caspa and rusko makes me want to listen to them at least once... car-crash effect

Guest uptowndevil

Black moth super rainbow

you are fucking INSANE!

i wouldn't go as far to say that caspa's contributed nothing of value. i think he has a few gems amidst all the rubble.

i enjoy this one especially:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g95w9jk-IgM

plus you have to feel kind of bad for him because he contracted HIV from his best friend Telly.

i really enjoyed BMSR then a week later i realized all the songs were in the same key with the same detuned synths and the same everything else.

their collab with (someone electronic????) was a bit better because i enjoy their overall vibe, but on repeated listens it's just the same shit rehashed..

i think the reason i hate it is because it's an amalgamation of 2 things that rub me very much the wrong way, BOC influenced/inspired 'lo-fi vibes' and bad (weird oversimplified campfire headphase esque happy hippy folk guitar) representations of what i think makes psychedelic rock as a genre good. it only uses the cheesy hippy elements that make me cringe

Guest uptowndevil

i think the reason i hate it is because it's an amalgamation of 2 things that rub me very much the wrong way, BOC influenced/inspired 'lo-fi vibes' and bad (weird oversimplified campfire headphase esque happy hippy folk guitar) representations of what i think makes psychedelic rock as a genre good. it only uses the cheesy hippy elements that make me cringe

i don't understand this trend of people forcing all downtempo electronic music under a boards of canada lens. that's like assuming ever four to the floor electronic track is techno as soon as you hear the beat. the tones that each group crafts couldn't be less similar, not to mention the percussive aspects, arrangement, layering, sampling use, etc.

the simple fact to me is that you don't like the music, and that's totally fine. there's always going to be issues when people's tastes and opinions are invited to be expressed as fact.

For all the people who said the Knife, they are completely harmless. There is no air of douchebaggery like Animal Collective or Arcade Fire, like they have a fucking "important message about life" to get across in their limited musical minds. The Knife aren't the great band on the planet, and their synth chops are sometimes a little embarrassing, but they're easy listening.

Also whoever the fuck said the Clash hasn't really absorbed how perfect a pop song Rock the Casbah is. I'm playing that at my funeral.

The Knife has a preditable formula but I don't understand the hate either. That said I don't know why Fever Ray is considered a different project, it sounds exactly the same.

And I'll take some blame for going down the Tool tangent. I think they pwn 90s Metallica, not the early stuff and most of the 80s singles. "One" is the among the most brutal masterpieces of all time.

Kode9's Spaceape collab was good, but his production is pretty lame in general. He runs a great label and that seems to overshine his mediocre remixes and singles.

i don't understand this trend of people forcing all downtempo electronic music under a boards of canada lens. that's like assuming ever four to the floor electronic track is techno as soon as you hear the beat. the tones that each group crafts couldn't be less similar, not to mention the percussive aspects, arrangement, layering, sampling use, etc.

if you can't see that Black moth super rainbow is directly influenced by the lofi downtempo aesthetics of boards of canada i dont know what to tell you. its pretty obvious to me how big of an influence BOC has had in general (rock music, pop music especially, Broadcast and Focus Group may not exsist if it wasnt for BOC opening the door on library music esque evocative tunes) and its not just down tempo hiphopish electronic music, it is a very specific tailored sound

Guest Super lurker ultra V12

burial and four tet are ok but forgettable

Off the top of my head Pelican, Isis, Boris, Baroness, Kylesa, Neurosis, Godflesh, Melvins. Plenty of decent sludge and metalcore, black metal, drone, etc. now.

yep, i was gonna suggest pretty much all of these bands. also cult of luna and knut are pretty decent. i think part of the reason i'm not really into tool anymore is that their releases are a bit too samey, in terms of sound design/production. actually that's a problem i have with a lot of modern progressive rock/metal, it's all too clean and overproduced.

cheers, will check them out.

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Panda Bear. To be fair, I didn't get past the first four songs, but it seemed so substanceless to me that I was actually kind of disturbed... though maybe that's a sign that it's worth giving another listen since it's weird to be effected that much by music. I'm of the camp that really liked Merriwether Post Pavilion but can't get into anything else AC's done. But I'll admit it's culminated into something pretty awesome.

Fever Ray/The Knife --no significant sonic difference between the two projects from what I've heard, and anytime I hear it I just want to listen to Bjork instead. Their image is interesting, but not much sticks out to me about the music itself. If they didn't have that over-the-top theatric shtick going for them I don't think anyone would be paying attention.

Archived