IGNORED

London Olympics: Police will have powers to enter private homes and seize posters

chaosmachine

When i say science is politicized, i mean that scientists themselves cannot agree on who or what is right, without any input from corporations.

If you limit AI through programmer's inputs, you might as well not even bother. It won't be true AI, it will be constrained by human input variables, which will not take into account all variables, and will not be able to decide which is the most efficient path.

So if I want to have my drug orgies in public that's cool? Awesome. What if other people living in my neighbourhood object to it? What's gonna happen?

Who decides what a sexual disorder is? You didn't answer that one.

Shift in resources - again, the earth is a closed system. You can't get something for nothing. So if you're shifting resources to biodegradable plastics, some other area of production of goods will suffer from a lack of resources.

So if I don't want to contribute technologically, artistically, don't want to contribute to research, sports, child care and just want to smoke weed and play video games, I will still get all my resource needs taken care of?

Awesome. Sign me up.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've said this before bread but i think you should stop making your points assuming people don't understand the principle behind the Venus project. everyone gets it. it's just that 1) it doesn't seem viable or any time soon and 2) the logic behind it isn't sound. we all see you just repeating over and over the ideas that haven't convinced anyone but a few zeitgeist fans.

this idea that we can all in the world live in abundance is unjustified, and this assumption that if we lived in abundance then all abhorrent behavior would cease to exist is nothing more than that; an assumption.

what are your solutions for a better world?

The earth is a closed system.

uh... no, there's that thing called the sun.

I was hinting at this when emphasising the harnessing of energy from the sun, as well other renewable energy sources

I don't have an answer obviously no one does, but i would like to see a significant turn towards local self sufficiency and sustainable growth. within the same paradigm of capitalism, I think if we shift the very concept economic growth to mean something else we can change a lot. I think at some point a lot of people will move away from big cities into the country, much like in the industrial revolution people left farms to go work in the cities.

the whole corporate fuckfest that the world has turned into one day will have to end. my hopes are that the internet will become aware and save us all with its superior judgement :P

So if I don't want to contribute technologically, artistically, don't want to contribute to research, sports, child care and just want to smoke weed and play video games, I will still get all my resource needs taken care of?

Awesome. Sign me up.

In light of this new evidence, I am now 100% behind the Venus Project.

Guest Rambo

I dont claim to be an expert on the venus project but i definitely like some of the ideas. I'm findig it hard to imagine a future where machine automation isn't going to become a serious problem. It's weird because we've got ourselves in the situation where things that should be great are seen as problems. Take what has happened with music, video, documents, photos etc - in a sense we have completely eliminated scarcity when it comes to these things and this should be celebrated, it should be great, we should be fucking patting ourselves on the backs and saying well done you have eliminated scarcity in this range of goods! It's an achievment not to be sniffed at. But no, we have to try and crowbar this great achievment so it fits into this old system we are stuck with. It's like if the entire floor of a country was covered with gold, so we just put blindfolds on and pretended it wasnt so i could swap you my gold for your bananas.

oh and going back to machine automation, that's going to be another thing that should be absolutely fucking brilliant but instead will be a problem.

i mean, yeah, take what happened with manufacturing: in the early 20th century people always, always thought we could use solar energy to have stuff like keyboards.

now we know this is far from the truth.

so idk, maybe we should start thinking about the future for our grandchildren.

the grass is always greener on greener pastures, folks.

Archived