IGNORED

London Olympics: Police will have powers to enter private homes and seize posters

chaosmachine

no surprise here, we saw the same thing in vancouver, but only after a few autonomists broke some store-front windows. police state is starting show is true colors, protecting the commodity of the wealthy--globalization sucks, as does fascism--expect global resistance. anticapitalists unite!!

Been a lot of new regs in the few days since i was last drunken hir. But seriously if you're gonna dupe why so parodiculously.

no offence if you are a real person, i'm really just talking to an alternate universe of possibly.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If a nationwide shootout with the police wasn't horrendous enough, the army would be called in within about 3 minutes. It'd actually just be a mass genocide of US citizens.

lol I can already see people trying to shoot down fighter jets with assault rifles... priceless...

You're right. We should just sit back and let repressive regimes bulldoze :emotawesomepm9:

I don't see you taking arms against your shit government either.

Guest we_kill_soapscum

i tried to rise up against the oppressive regime in the US but my artillery wasn't deadly enough

KrisBlasterblue.jpg

EAT VAPOR FASCIST PRICKS!

I saw a really cool educational film that had a bunch of english people that hated some leader and they all wore masks together. I think i remember a subway too.

yeah but they all had a predilection for saying the word "bollocks" in the context of "oh that's just completely wrong"....which is just bollocks

The article posted is not detailed enough or specific on the issues regarding law and order at the Olympics in London.. however, nothing surprises me at all if the law were to work on the side of big corporations looking to maintain profits at the games. Looking at the bigger picture of all of this, isn't the Olympics just completely irrelevant to society any way? Countries competing for silly medals and recognition - shouldn't we be working together on problems in the world? I just see grand sporting events like this as a big waste of time, and a huge distraction from many, many problems in the world that require solutions.

Guest Gary C

I doubt they could enforce something like that very strictly. I'm guessing it will be mostly targeting bootleggers and other small operations trying to cash in on the huge amount of visitors to the area..

My rational judgement concurs with this.

I can only assume they plan on cutting down the unofficial merchandise because I can already visualise just how fucking crazy London is going to be. It's bad enough now, but it'll be x2012 :emotawesomepm9:

It's still a little sad that crazy fuckers and drug-dealers can't cash in by selling printed t-shirts, but then they're crazy sex-slave raping fuckers and hold you at gun point drug-dealers so fuck 'em actually.

Guest we_kill_soapscum

i dont think the olympics is so totally pointless. there IS something to be said for the kind of 'fuck politics we're here to ____' unity that gets created. i know for a fact half my friends wouldn't even know Jamaica was a country if it wasn't for Mr. Bolt.

i dont think the olympics is so totally pointless. there IS something to be said for the kind of 'fuck politics we're here to ____' unity that gets created. i know for a fact half my friends wouldn't even know Jamaica was a country if it wasn't for Mr. Bolt.

But.. but... JAMAICA WE HAVE A BOBSLED TEAM

But.. but... JAMAICA WE HAVE A BOBSLED TEAM

:emotawesomepm9:

patriotism holds the whole world back from working together, and things like the Olympics/sports in general breeds patriotism to it's fullest - the thing that people can not consider (because most are not conditioned to think this way) is that we are all human and are part of the same planet (unfortunately schools don't perpetuate this). Patriotism distorts this fact and the differences between nations are nothing but trivial. It's pointless and a waste of time and resources competing for differential advantage over one another in such an expensive sport when we can be improving things that require our immediate concern. It's great to realise the human body is capable of running a 100 metre race in 9 seconds, but doesn't the discovery of a cure for cancer/harnessing renewable energy/scientific discoveries for the benefit of all absolutely trump something like "yipee I beat the world record in javelin throwing"! I realise it will be very difficult to persuade people to adopt this world view but it seems very obvious.

patriotism holds the whole world back from working together, and things like the Olympics/sports in general breeds patriotism to it's fullest - the thing that people can not consider (because most are not conditioned to think this way) is that we are all human and are part of the same planet (unfortunately schools don't perpetuate this). Patriotism distorts this fact and the differences between nations are nothing but trivial. It's pointless and a waste of time and resources competing for differential advantage over one another in such an expensive sport when we can be improving things that require our immediate concern. It's great to realise the human body is capable of running a 100 metre race in 9 seconds, but doesn't the discovery of a cure for cancer/harnessing renewable energy/scientific discoveries for the benefit of all absolutely trump something like "yipee I beat the world record in javelin throwing"! I realise it will be very difficult to persuade people to adopt this world view but it seems very obvious.

i've never considered the olympics to be about patriotism, more about finding the best of the best from the world to celebrate human achievement in athletics (except maybe curling.) the spirit of the olympics has never seemed, in my experience, to be "awwww shit we won the gold in ice skating! we're the bomb! our country is best!", but more of a celebratory kind of atmosphere.

and i thought i was cynical.

also, the guy running a 100 metre race in 9 seconds probably isn't the same guy that, given more time, would be developing cures for anything.

by that rationale, we're all wasting time on a messageboard instead of perfecting cold fusion.

shit, i'd better get to work.

i've never considered the olympics to be about patriotism, more about finding the best of the best from the world to celebrate human achievement in athletics (except maybe curling.) the spirit of the olympics has never seemed, in my experience, to be "awwww shit we won the gold in ice skating! we're the bomb! our country is best!", but more of a celebratory kind of atmosphere.

I know full well that my point of view on the Olympics being about patriotism is subjective, and many will disagree but you can't hide from the fact that people are devoting their support for one team to win in this grand event. What's the point in the medals if the press in their own countries aren't going to brag about them? What's the point in the finale at the end of the event when the winning country is announced with the most gold medals? It's all situated around a love for one country rather than an emphasis on humanity as a whole. I can guarantee you that you will not hear someone say this to you, possibly ever in your life as it becomes a "social norm" to support something like the olympics. Just because something becomes traditionally reinforced in society, it does not necessarily mean it is right.

also, the guy running a 100 metre race in 9 seconds probably isn't the same guy that, given more time, would be developing cures for anything.

by that rationale, we're all wasting time on a messageboard instead of perfecting cold fusion.

The difference between communicating on a messageboard and hosting a huge event like the olympics (which is costing A LOT of money) is that much more time/resources/money and effort goes into the Olympics (which I believe to be wasteful) compared to me moving my fingers over a keyboard thinking about what to say on the internet.

I try and communicate these ideas (which are in my responses in this thread) to the public on a daily basis. Not only that, I am also part of a worldwide organisation which advocates a social direction beneficial to humanity as a whole - but I'll save that for another time..

Guest inteeliguntdesign

The article posted is not detailed enough or specific on the issues regarding law and order at the Olympics in London...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/jul/21/olympics2012-civil-liberties

But civil rights campaigners are worried about several clauses in the London Olympic Games and Games Act 2006. Section 19(4) could cover protest placards, they said, as it read: "The regulations may apply in respect of advertising of any kind including in particular – (a) advertising of a non-commercial nature, and (b) announcements or notices of any kind."

Section 22 allows a "constable or enforcement officer" to "enter land or premises" where they believe such an advert is being shown or produced. It allows for materials to be destroyed, and for the use of "reasonable force". The power to force entry requires a court warrant. Causing still further concern is a section granting the powers to an enforcement officer appointed by Olympic Delivery Authority.

i hate these kinds of things, and i'd like to brush them aside as scaremongering, but then of course i'd like to think that, as that makes me feel better. OH WHAT CAN I DO???

Guest Great Maker ShaiHulud

If a nationwide shootout with the police wasn't horrendous enough, the army would be called in within about 3 minutes. It'd actually just be a mass genocide of US citizens.

lol I can already see people trying to shoot down fighter jets with assault rifles... priceless...

Posse Comitatus, babe.

that is, if your'e talking about the US...

Archived