IGNORED

J Dilla Donut Shop!

Alzado

Guest ms-dos

the whole concept of the 'j dilla estate' creeps me out a little bit

afaik, it's helping to pay off his medical bills and get his family out of massive debt.

Guest Backson

Are they still cashing in on his legacy? Or am I too bitter viewing it this way? I mean, I like Stones Throw, but come on!

I'm sure its what he would have wanted.

wouldn't you?

By all accounts the bullshit with his estate has been sorted out, and the proceeds of his work are now going where they belong (to his mum & family). There are a couple of links about it on the stones throw website though I can't be arsed to find them.

I've always liked stones throw but I have a ton of respect for pb wolf & co. for handling everything with his family's best interests in mind.

stonesthrow right now is trying to co-opt old dark synth pop music they just put out a compilation called 'minimal wave'

kind of cool they are giving this type of music like Esplendor Geometrico this type of exposure but i also have to question their motives, big labels that make a lot of money sometimes do questionable things.

By all accounts the bullshit with his estate has been sorted out

i've heard otherwise, but i guess they could be rumors

By all accounts the bullshit with his estate has been sorted out

i've heard otherwise, but i guess they could be rumors

you've compelled me to check my sources

http://www.stonesthrow.com/news/2010/01/jdilla-news-reorganized-estate-foundation-website-upcoming-projects

http://www.stonesthrow.com/news/2009/01/the-battle-for-j-dilla-s-legacy

stonesthrow right now is trying to co-opt old dark synth pop music they just put out a compilation called 'minimal wave'

kind of cool they are giving this type of music like Esplendor Geometrico this type of exposure but i also have to question their motives, big labels that make a lot of money sometimes do questionable things.

I don't think you could really call Stones Throw a big label. Also if you know anything about the history of the label and it's offshoot 'Now-Again Records' they're all about celebrating artists and music that have been forgotten or are underappreciated. I don't think there's anything sinister about what they're doing.

from Stonesthrow.com:

"The Minimal Waves Tapes fits neatly into Stones Throw Records' own tradition of compiling or reissuing the independent music of the past which influences the independent music we make today - 60s funk (The Funky 16 Corners), early 80s hip-hop (The Third Unheard) and West Coast Electro/Rap (Arabian Prince's Innovative Life) to name a few. "

I don't think you could really call Stones Throw a big label. Also if you know anything about the history of the label and it's offshoot 'Now-Again Records' they're all about celebrating artists and music that have been forgotten or are underappreciated. I don't think there's anything sinister about what they're doing.

from Stonesthrow.com:

"The Minimal Waves Tapes fits neatly into Stones Throw Records' own tradition of compiling or reissuing the independent music of the past which influences the independent music we make today - 60s funk (The Funky 16 Corners), early 80s hip-hop (The Third Unheard) and West Coast Electro/Rap (Arabian Prince's Innovative Life) to name a few. "

Yep, they're definitely in it for the love of music. PB Wolf really could be releasing stuff by more marketable artists and probably making a lot more money, but he only puts out things that he's truly into as opposed to strictly what will sell.

Archived