Sign in to follow this  
halisray

old albums

There are some true BoC aficionados here. It astounds me how people are so interested in there old-never-released-music, and all the nooks and crannies that go with it. Bordering on cultish.

A question. Do you think all of their unreleased tunes will ever see an official release? As in a way it seems to create a lot of interest and if they did release it then it would dispel a myth which seems to serve them well.

Well, in brief, there has been talk of older unreleased material possibly seeing the light of day, but nothing concrete just yet. I personally wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

And you raise an interesting point: IF BoC did release any of the material supposedly from those EPs that nobody outside of HS has, would they 'keep the myth alive' by acknowledging the materials' sources? OR, does the possibility that none of the pre-Twoism releases actually exist as EPs (DIY effort or not) preclude their ever seeing the light of day due to the fact it would 'dispel the mythos' the band has cultivated from it's earliest days?

How upset some fans might be if all that was ever released from the unreleased material was stuff readily available on the Old Tunes cassettes! I would be in the camp of enjoying properly mastered releases in lush packaging, so I personally wouldn't be annoyed by this, but I could see how some fans could be, desperately wishing to hear "Wouldn't You Like To Be Free?" in it's entirety and never getting the chance to.

Thanks for the sane reply Joyrex. I must admit I sometimes think twice about posting on the BoC forum as I don't think I have earned my BoC stripes just to go wading in. I am a fan of the music but a lot of the myths and whatnot goes over my head.

Do you think they engineer a lot of it (the myths or whatever you want to call it) or are they just so nonplussed that it gets engineered by the fans?

Edited by beerwolf

There are some true BoC aficionados here. It astounds me how people are so interested in there old-never-released-music, and all the nooks and crannies that go with it. Bordering on cultish.

A question. Do you think all of their unreleased tunes will ever see an official release? As in a way it seems to create a lot of interest and if they did release it then it would dispel a myth which seems to serve them well.

Well, in brief, there has been talk of older unreleased material possibly seeing the light of day, but nothing concrete just yet. I personally wouldn't hold my breath waiting.

And you raise an interesting point: IF BoC did release any of the material supposedly from those EPs that nobody outside of HS has, would they 'keep the myth alive' by acknowledging the materials' sources? OR, does the possibility that none of the pre-Twoism releases actually exist as EPs (DIY effort or not) preclude their ever seeing the light of day due to the fact it would 'dispel the mythos' the band has cultivated from it's earliest days?

How upset some fans might be if all that was ever released from the unreleased material was stuff readily available on the Old Tunes cassettes! I would be in the camp of enjoying properly mastered releases in lush packaging, so I personally wouldn't be annoyed by this, but I could see how some fans could be, desperately wishing to hear "Wouldn't You Like To Be Free?" in it's entirety and never getting the chance to.

Thanks for the sane reply Joyrex. I must admit I sometimes think twice about posting on the BoC forum as I don't think I have earned my BoC stripes just to go wading in. I am a fan of the music but a lot of the myths and whatnot goes over my head.

Do you think they engineer a lot of it (the myths or whatever you want to call it) or are they just so nonplussed that it gets engineered by the fans?

Here's my take on it: I think initially the band did present a mythos about themselves, and it got out of hand, so they dialed it back (when the incessant demand for the pre-Twoism stuff was probably driving them batty), and inadvertently (or purposely) created MORE mystique and demand for their older material and info about the band's history (basically, they created a monster that has been loosed upon themselves they can no longer control). Then again, this may not be a bad thing, as it keeps the aura of mystery surrounding their early days intact, and is self-serving to keep the band's fanbase engaged. If that's the case, then any fan-fueled speculation, rumour, etc. only adds to it and basically makes it's own gravy now, to coin a phrase.

Here's my take on it: I think initially the band did present a mythos about themselves, and it got out of hand, so they dialed it back (when the incessant demand for the pre-Twoism stuff was probably driving them batty), and inadvertently (or purposely) created MORE mystique and demand for their older material and info about the band's history (basically, they created a monster that has been loosed upon themselves they can no longer control). Then again, this may not be a bad thing, as it keeps the aura of mystery surrounding their early days intact, and is self-serving to keep the band's fanbase engaged. If that's the case, then any fan-fueled speculation, rumour, etc. only adds to it and basically makes it's own gravy now, to coin a phrase.

'...is self-serving to keep the band's fanbase engaged'

I def believe this to be the case. And I actually admire them for it. Very clever indeed.

Peter Grant managed Led Zeppelin in a similar way back in the 70's, not that I was around at the the time! (Just what I read lol.)

Thanks for answering my questions.

Edited by beerwolf

although they claim not to in interviews, I think they actively maintain the mythos surrounding both their work and themselves. if they truly did not care about such things, they wouldn't be so cloistered. the reclusiveness is a deliberate effort at fueling anticipation. why do I think so? if silence was nothing more than mere silence, they wouldn't do (or allow) some of the other strange things that they do (or allow to be done on their behalves). for example, the whole faux red moon secret message thing on the music70 site a few years back. there's no explanation for that other than stoking fans' interest. if they wanted to send a private message to friends, they would send an e-mail or pick up the phone, not put a cryptic message on their website for all of us to contemplate. same thing with all the hebrew messages on their myspace page. why if not to stir us into wondering what the messages mean and what the boys are up to?

if they truly did not care about massaging the interest of their fan base, they would either maintain a true silence without the occasional oddity or they would provide us with the occasional "still in the studio folks, hold your horses."

I love BoC myths :flower:

Edit* Been awhile since I heard these. Sound pretty amateurish compared to everything post Twoism.

Circle's nothing special, and Wouldn't You Like to be Free sounds right out of Old Tunes Vol. 1, but I don't think Duffy sounds amateurish. Fits right in with BOC Maxima.

AFX created a mythos. Autechre, Squarepusher, BOC, Vsnares... name them, they all created a mythos. It's part of the business.

WARP should have been wise and accept the deal years ago, nowadays the sales will be a fragment of what they would have been. With the decline/end of the physical sale, each year that artist don't release archive material (from Neil Young to BOC), it's around 25% less sales each year they pass on. The future is really bleak for archival-type releases, the industry knows that.

Guest username7410

The future is really bleak for archival-type releases, the industry knows that.

The future is bleak for any release. I don't see how an archival release makes a difference. Every artists has fans clamoring for material, new or old.

Guest tht tne

The future is bleak for any release. I don't see how an archival release makes a difference. Every artists has fans clamoring for material, new or old.

at this rate i would rather hear old unreleased boc than new unreleased boc

maybe my track 38 is different but it sounds nothing like what you're describing.

this one? http://irdial.hyperreal.org/the%20conet%20project/disc%202/tcp_d2_15_5_dashes_irdial.mp3

oh right, you mean track 38 overall. I was looking at all the track 38s on each individual disc. sorry for the mix up there, matey. yes they do sound quite similar, they're even slurred a little bit like in the song.

AFX created a mythos. Autechre, Squarepusher, BOC, Vsnares... name them, they all created a mythos. It's part of the business.

WARP should have been wise and accept the deal years ago, nowadays the sales will be a fragment of what they would have been. With the decline/end of the physical sale, each year that artist don't release archive material (from Neil Young to BOC), it's around 25% less sales each year they pass on. The future is really bleak for archival-type releases, the industry knows that.

Nobody said 'creating a mythos' wasn't - Aphex with the whole "I create my own hardware" tale and "lost an MP3 player on a plane" (which Richard never actually said - it was a rumour that became "truth" over time) did it, so did numerous other artists. The point is, unlike other artists, they never claimed (and went as far as showing tracklistings and covers) of releases that may not actually exist in order to establish and perpetuate that mythos. Offhand remarks in interviews by Aphex are nowhere near as deliberate as actual information published on a webpage by someone closely associated with the band.

Also, I think WARP realizes that regular physical sales are falling flat, and that's why they've been offering "premium" releases like the last few Autechre releases, and digital downloads with others as an incentive to buy the physical product and not pirate it without paying anything.

What? There's never been more "best of" and "Greatest Hits" albums as of late... perhaps not with our genre of artists though...

What a utterly ignorant statement; not hearing neither and the quality of each, how would you know your preference?

Guest tht tne

What a utterly ignorant statement; not hearing neither and the quality of each, how would you know your preference?

whoa, no need to call names

whoa, no need to call names

I didn't call you anything; I merely said your statement was ignorant based on the lack of knowledge of what unreleased old or new BoC sounds like. It wasn't an insult.

Chillax dudes. Life is too short to argue about nothingness like this. Wait.

Guest cult fiction

Aphex with the whole "I create my own hardware" tale and "lost an MP3 player on a plane" (which Richard never actually said - it was a rumour that became "truth" over time) did it, so did numerous other artists.

Off-topic, but he did say he lost an mp3 player:

http://www.aphextwin.nu/learn/100771194880071.shtml

Unless that interviewer is filled with lies(entirely possible)...

that really was the first thing I thought of when I saw that posted in the other thread

focus on their current output.

this made me lol harder than anything else in this thread....current output LOL

^^ man why was I so nuts, I must have been tired

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a remastered release of BOC Maxima. I wish I had some higher quality mp3s. They could throw in some bonus tracks at the end too.

And maybe cut M9, that's a pretty useless song.

av-1989.jpg

"my anus is bleeding!"

Shit Yea it is! Although I believe at this point he is saying, "Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!"

Anyways, Re-release BOC Maxima and throw in some bonus tracks.

Ha, or make everyone cry and release a full version of Trails/Time Apple/Gann.