IGNORED

old albums

halisray

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Edit* Been awhile since I heard these. Sound pretty amateurish compared to everything post Twoism.

Circle's nothing special, and Wouldn't You Like to be Free sounds right out of Old Tunes Vol. 1, but I don't think Duffy sounds amateurish. Fits right in with BOC Maxima.

Here's my take on it: I think initially the band did present a mythos about themselves, and it got out of hand, so they dialed it back (when the incessant demand for the pre-Twoism stuff was probably driving them batty), and inadvertently (or purposely) created MORE mystique and demand for their older material and info about the band's history (basically, they created a monster that has been loosed upon themselves they can no longer control). Then again, this may not be a bad thing, as it keeps the aura of mystery surrounding their early days intact, and is self-serving to keep the band's fanbase engaged. If that's the case, then any fan-fueled speculation, rumour, etc. only adds to it and basically makes it's own gravy now, to coin a phrase.

AFX created a mythos. Autechre, Squarepusher, BOC, Vsnares... name them, they all created a mythos. It's part of the business.

WARP should have been wise and accept the deal years ago, nowadays the sales will be a fragment of what they would have been. With the decline/end of the physical sale, each year that artist don't release archive material (from Neil Young to BOC), it's around 25% less sales each year they pass on. The future is really bleak for archival-type releases, the industry knows that.

Guest username7410

The future is really bleak for archival-type releases, the industry knows that.

The future is bleak for any release. I don't see how an archival release makes a difference. Every artists has fans clamoring for material, new or old.

Guest tht tne

The future is bleak for any release. I don't see how an archival release makes a difference. Every artists has fans clamoring for material, new or old.

at this rate i would rather hear old unreleased boc than new unreleased boc

Here's my take on it: I think initially the band did present a mythos about themselves, and it got out of hand, so they dialed it back (when the incessant demand for the pre-Twoism stuff was probably driving them batty), and inadvertently (or purposely) created MORE mystique and demand for their older material and info about the band's history (basically, they created a monster that has been loosed upon themselves they can no longer control). Then again, this may not be a bad thing, as it keeps the aura of mystery surrounding their early days intact, and is self-serving to keep the band's fanbase engaged. If that's the case, then any fan-fueled speculation, rumour, etc. only adds to it and basically makes it's own gravy now, to coin a phrase.

AFX created a mythos. Autechre, Squarepusher, BOC, Vsnares... name them, they all created a mythos. It's part of the business.

WARP should have been wise and accept the deal years ago, nowadays the sales will be a fragment of what they would have been. With the decline/end of the physical sale, each year that artist don't release archive material (from Neil Young to BOC), it's around 25% less sales each year they pass on. The future is really bleak for archival-type releases, the industry knows that.

Nobody said 'creating a mythos' wasn't - Aphex with the whole "I create my own hardware" tale and "lost an MP3 player on a plane" (which Richard never actually said - it was a rumour that became "truth" over time) did it, so did numerous other artists. The point is, unlike other artists, they never claimed (and went as far as showing tracklistings and covers) of releases that may not actually exist in order to establish and perpetuate that mythos. Offhand remarks in interviews by Aphex are nowhere near as deliberate as actual information published on a webpage by someone closely associated with the band.

Also, I think WARP realizes that regular physical sales are falling flat, and that's why they've been offering "premium" releases like the last few Autechre releases, and digital downloads with others as an incentive to buy the physical product and not pirate it without paying anything.

What? There's never been more "best of" and "Greatest Hits" albums as of late... perhaps not with our genre of artists though...

What a utterly ignorant statement; not hearing neither and the quality of each, how would you know your preference?

Guest tht tne

What a utterly ignorant statement; not hearing neither and the quality of each, how would you know your preference?

whoa, no need to call names

whoa, no need to call names

I didn't call you anything; I merely said your statement was ignorant based on the lack of knowledge of what unreleased old or new BoC sounds like. It wasn't an insult.

Guest cult fiction

Aphex with the whole "I create my own hardware" tale and "lost an MP3 player on a plane" (which Richard never actually said - it was a rumour that became "truth" over time) did it, so did numerous other artists.

Off-topic, but he did say he lost an mp3 player:

http://www.aphextwin.nu/learn/100771194880071.shtml

Unless that interviewer is filled with lies(entirely possible)...

Honestly, I wouldn't mind a remastered release of BOC Maxima. I wish I had some higher quality mp3s. They could throw in some bonus tracks at the end too.

And maybe cut M9, that's a pretty useless song.

av-1989.jpg

"my anus is bleeding!"

Shit Yea it is! Although I believe at this point he is saying, "Yaaaaaaaaaaaaay!"

Anyways, Re-release BOC Maxima and throw in some bonus tracks.

Ha, or make everyone cry and release a full version of Trails/Time Apple/Gann.

Archived