IGNORED

John Coltrane

splesh

how in the hell was there not a thread for him before? (in b4 cracks about "jazz"/"jazzband" &c.)

This guy was fucking amazing. What a soloist he was. And pretty well everything he ever recorded is astounding.

• 7 months later...
Guest Hanratty

Africa/Brass Sessions has been getting me hooked on Coltrane. (also Albert Ayler, Alice Coltrane) A Love Supreme is great too, obviously, but still new to me.

Guest Greg Reason

Trane was the greatest musician in history imo. I'm fuckin obsessed with most of his catalog, especially his Atlantic and Impulse stuff. He also did some really nice stuff for Prestige, and his time as part of Thelonius Monk's group (and of course, Miles Davis group) was stunning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_ywkpVJ624

Guest Hanratty

A love supreme was my introduction to jazz

i always seem to take an obscure path into new genres. I had heard lots of lesser known names in jazz before checking out Coltrane, Miles, Davis, Thelonius Monk, etc. probably because of mp3 blogs.

Guest ruiagnelo

i always seem to take an obscure path into new genres. I had heard lots of lesser known names in jazz before checking out Coltrane, Miles, Davis, Thelonius Monk, etc. probably because of mp3 blogs.

i am conscious that there is a lot more to jazz than simply coltrane, miles or ornette coleman.

but there is also much more to idm than simply aphex, boc or squarepusher.

i keep slowly exploring the field.

i find it funny when jazz aficionados proudly say that jazz isn't just about miles or coltrane.

from all the people talking proudly about their knowledge, these are pretty annoying

edit: the comment isn't at all related to you, Hanratty. just a thought :smile:

Guest Hanratty

i am conscious that there is a lot more to jazz than simply coltrane, miles or ornette coleman.

but there is also much more to idm than simply aphex, boc or squarepusher.

i keep slowly exploring the field.

i find it funny when jazz aficionados proudly say that jazz isn't just about miles or coltrane.

from all the people talking proudly about their knowledge, these are pretty annoying

edit: the comment isn't at all related to you, Hanratty. just a thought :smile:

i agree with you, but, i do think that some people with knowledge of jazz/composition/music theory/improvisation probably can appreciate someone like Coltrane more than other people. i am not one of those people. i have limited knowledge of music outside of 808s and 303s.

Guest ruiagnelo

i agree with you, but, i do think that some people with knowledge of jazz/composition/music theory/improvisation probably can appreciate someone like Coltrane more than other people. i am not one of those people. i have limited knowledge of music outside of 808s and 303s.

i know what you mean.

and i am all about idms, technoes and ambients as a matter of fact.

but i do love some jazz and noticed there is an almost infinite number of releases worth checking out, so i am taking it easy.

first coltrane, miles, coleman and eddie harris. lets wait and see what is coming in the future.

electronic music first, always.

My first Coltrane album was Interstellar Space.

albumcoverJohnColtrane-InterstellarSpace.jpg?1199359904

I had heard a lot of his other stuff prior (like Blue Train and A Love Supreme).

I actually was really into this when I first moved to NYC, at the end of college. I used to listen to it really loud on headphones.

It is pretty far out there. Intense stuff. I can still get into it.

I love how there are parts in the recording where you can tell, just by listening, that he is moving closer to and away from the microphone. I imagine him completely lost in his performance and almost thrashing side to side and forwards and backwards as he plays, possessed.

He is really getting his demons out on it.

I wouldn't doubt if recording that album was practically the final thing that killed him.

In a way, it does sound like space travel to me: traveling at high speeds, exploring the unknown, the lack of oxygen, claustrophobia, fear, anxiety, wonder, transcendence, euphoria.

Every time I hear the sleigh bells at the beginning of each track I feel like I'm falling under a spell.

Some people trash it, even fans. I think it is amazing.

I love all of his stuff.

He is about as close as a human comes to being a musical god.

ps

jazz

Archived