IGNORED

How To Destroy Angels

oscillik

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OMG , is he gonna do a Yoko ono - John Lennon type of thing?

YES , fucking horrible idea.

Last year, Nine Inch Nails played their final show as a touring entity, and mastermind Trent Reznor married former West Indian Girl frontwoman Mariqueen Maandig. Now, Reznor and Maandig have formed the group How to Destroy Angels. They'll release a self-titled, six-song EP this summer.

Guest Lube Saibot

Someone more knowing please explain what exactly she's doing in the clip. Pulling on some rubber strand to mangle the sound? What synth is that?? :blink:

Guest margaret thatcher

it's don't think it's too difficult to build a synth. i build a noise generator from bits from maplin and used it on a few of my recordings.

edit: have to admit, my sister does electronic engineering at uni so she helped me quite a lot.

obviously a synth is more tricky but it's not impossible - i remember reading that the joy division/new order guys built their synths from scratch in the late 70s.

Edited by margaret thatcher

Someone more knowing please explain what exactly she's doing in the clip. Pulling on some rubber strand to mangle the sound? What synth is that?? :blink:

it just looks like a ribbon controller to me :unsure:

Guest Lube Saibot

I thought the same at first but then i noticed it's elastic and bends along as she pulls her finger down.

Trent claims that he created some customs synth with Aticus Ross back when they did Year Zero. (I think this claim is bullshit - RDJ like)

I'm saying this because the synths in Ghosts and The Slip were "ordinary-sounding" + they didn't use any of these "custom synths" on the live tour.

But what the hell do i know , I'm not a MM

Guest Greg Reason

Same synth he used on Sunspots for that bendy guitar-like lead synth. Used it on a few other NINs also, can't remember the name of the synth right now but he was raving about it in interviews at the time

OR...

It's just a loose bit of moulding on the case and she's pretending it affects the music in order to generate interest/debate :cisfor:

yeah...ribbon controllers, as far as i know, are usually used as an alternative to a mod wheel. i've never used one though, so it could be entirely plausible that you could assign it to control the pitch...but i think it'd be silly to do that as you wouldn't have accuracy with hitting the right notes.

then again, how accurate is a theramin?

answer: very accurate if you know how to use one properly, of course.

Guest Lube Saibot

Same synth he used on Sunspots for that bendy guitar-like lead synth. Used it on a few other NINs also, can't remember the name of the synth right now but he was raving about it in interviews at the time

Do try. :flower:

OR...

It's just a loose bit of moulding on the case and she's pretending it affects the music in order to generate interest/debate :cisfor:

you can see markings above the band thingie where the finger is supposed to go.

Guest margaret thatcher

then again, how accurate is a theramin?

answer: very accurate if you know how to use one properly, of course.

i saw the juan maclean live, they used a theremin through an autotune. easily the coolest thing you can do with autotune.