karmakramer

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Ricky Downtown

the ironic thing is that bp is supposed to be the green one

http://www.bp.com/sectionbodycopy.do?categoryId=2311&contentId=7060022

zomg oilmageddon kekeke!!!1!!1!one1one1

HOUSTON, April 30 (Reuters) - The U.S. Coast Guard said Friday it was responding to another oil drilling rig accident near Morgan City, Louisiana.

The "mobile inland drilling unit" overturned in the Charenton navigational channel south of U.S. Highway 90 at Morgan City. (Reporting by Bruce Nichols)

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N30137052.htm

what the fuck!!!

Guest Super lurker ultra V12

Okay , i'm probably the Greenists member on this forums , and i hate this as much as you do.

But please , don't feed the alarmists , don't feed the yellow media.

Don't you find it weird that this happens at the same time there is a big debate over oil and offshore oil drilling , etc ,etc.?

YO BOXING DAY I KNOW YOU SAY YOURE THE GREENIST MEMBER ON THE FORUM BUT IM JUST NOT SEEING IT EVIDENCED IN YOUR TYPEFACE AND THATS A REAL PROBLEM FOR REACHING KEY DEMOGRAPHICS. WHAT IM GOING TO DO HERE IS RECCOMEND YOU A NICE ENTRY LEVEL FONT/COLOR PACKAGE THAT FITS WHAT YOURE TRYING TO EXPRESS

NOW ID RECCOMEND SOMETHING GREEN LIKE A NICE DEEP EMERALD OR KENTUCKY BLUEGRASS THAT REALLY SHOWS WHERE YOU STAND ON THE UV SPECTRUM

NOW IF YOURE STRAPPED FOR PENCES AND CAN STAND TO WAIT A LITTLE WHILE WERE HAVING A SALE ON A NICE BABYSHIT GREEN FOR A FASHIONABLY CONTEMPTABLE POSTING STYLE

IF YOU FEEL LIKE ADDING A FEW OPTIONS ID ALSO LIKE TO SUGGEST THE ITALICS PACKAGE WHICH HAS A BIT MORE CLASS AND IS A BIT MORE PERSUASIVE THAN BOLD AND UNDERLINE BUT HAS A TOUCH MORE CLASS THAN STRIKETHROUGH

AS FAR AS FONTS GO ARIAL BLACK IS REALLY IN RIGHT NOW WITH THE REACTIONARIES BUT IF YOU WANT SOMETHING THAT REALLY SET YOU APART I CAN CALL A GUY I KNOW WHO JUST GOT A NEW SHIPMENT OF CENTURY GOTHIC, BUT YOURE TRYING TO GO FOR THAT NICE CONDESCENDING GREENPEACE ACTIVIST STYLE SO IF I MAY, I SUGGEST A TIMELESS BOOK ANTIQUA

ANYWAYS LOOK OVER YOUR OPTIONS AND LET ME KNOW YOUR DECISION, THE EXTRAS MAY BE SPENDY, YOU REALLY CANT AFFORD TO TYPE IN A NORMAL SIZE AND FONT LIKE A TOOL WITH OPINIONS LIKE THOSE

RECOMMEND

loopcurrent.jpg

There is no going back to the old status quo. You CAN'T clean it all up. The biological system and the economy that is built upon it are irrevocably (in human lifetimes) damaged. What the fuck do you do when that fundamental support system is gone?

I keep thinking this is on the scale of a Chernobyl. Maybe even worse on a global scale.

The Tiber oilfield is adeepwater offshore oilfield in the Gulf of Mexico, discovered by BP in September 2009. Described as a "giant" find,[2] it is estimated to contain 4 to 6 billion barrels (640×10^6 to 950×10^6 m3) of oil in place[3], although BP states it is too early to be sure of the size[2] - a "huge" field is usually considered to contain 250 million barrels (40×10^6 m3). It required the drilling of a 10,685-metre (35,056 ft) deep well under 1,260 metres (4,130 ft) of water,[4] making it one of the deepest wells drilled at the time of discovery[4] (the drilling rig's owner states "the deepest ever".[5])

Tiber was initially drilled by Transocean's 5th generation dynamic positioned semi-submersible oil rig Deepwater Horizon,[5] Exploratory drilling commenced around March 2009, slightly delayed from the planned date of September 2008.[12] Much of the deeper gulf reserves are buried under salt accumulations thousands of feet thick, which present a problem for seismic exploration. BP had previously developed exploration techniques to bypass this difficulty.[3]

The field was announced on September 2, 2009,[4] and BP shares rose 3.7% on the news.[13]

Nice. Now we know how much oil might be down there if they can't cap this shit. That would take over 200yrs at a rate of 50,000 barrels per day to empty (on the low estimate of 4 billion barrels).

Well this is looking even worse then first thought... FUCK!!!! This could seriously fuck up the global economy...

Experts: Oil May Be Leaking at Rate of 25,000 Barrels a Day in Gulf (5 times more than currently suspected)

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...160623498.html

Gulf of Mexico oil gush 'could increase 10 times'

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/gu...0501-u0gb.html

Possible 2.1 Million Barrels Per Day + Toxic Gas Clouds

"How bad it could get from that, you will have a tremendous volume of oil that is going to be offgassing on the coast. Depending on how much wind is there, and how those gases build up, that's a significant health concern," he said.

http://blog.al.com/live/2010/04/deep...cret_memo.html

One quart of motor oil can pollute 250,000 gallons of water

http://www.mass.gov/dep/water/resources/oilspill.htm

Fishermen rushed to scoop up shrimp

An oil spill that threatened to eclipse even the infamous Exxon Valdez disaster spread out of control with a faint sheen washing ashore along the Gulf Coast Thursday night as fishermen rushed to scoop up shrimp and crews spread floating barriers around marshes.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2010/...n6444311.shtml

Food shortages incoming

In January

Credo Mutwa apparently just now said half the worlds population wont see 2011 at a gathering where I'm attending.

Some delegates have walked out because he didn't want to give an acceptable explanation, he just said " it's no asteroid, comet, plague, ... just OIL"

I'm moving to the mountains! See you guys there, just make sure you clarify you're from watmm or I might shoot you.

Guest Super lurker ultra V12

if they're not going to stop the leak and all that oil starts following the gulf stream most of the atlantic ocean and northern seas will be contaminated as well

Food shortages incoming

In January

Credo Mutwa apparently just now said half the worlds population wont see 2011 at a gathering where I'm attending.

Some delegates have walked out because he didn't want to give an acceptable explanation, he just said " it's no asteroid, comet, plague, ... just OIL"

I'm moving to the mountains! See you guys there, just make sure you clarify you're from watmm or I might shoot you.

lol Credo Mutwa - David Icke swears by his predictions...

So the southern coast is going to be destroyed for the next few hundred years. Let's just take that all in...

Now the bigger worry is that when, not if, but when the hurricanes come and blow all that water further inland, everything that gets saturated is probably going to die, then they'll dry out, but still have that light crust of dry oil, like an oil rag.

Then one day, when things get a bit dry down there during the summer, a bolt of lightning will strike an oil-rich area and set it ablaze. And with all the flammable oil everywhere and the oil vapors and the dead, dried out plant life, it'll quickly gain strength until it becomes powerful enough to create its own weather system to keep feeding itself and spread even further. An unstoppable hellfire.

That is a worst-case scenario, though. It can get worse, I think. Toxic winds...

Yeah, I'm thinking that maybe the people down south near the coast should probably sell their houses there and move up north, like right now, while things are cheaper and nobody knows how bad it is going to get. Because once the full scope of this disaster hits everybody, it's not going to be pretty.

LOL

honestly no one knows how bad this is... I mean its already really bad, but how much worse... is really up in the air. BP basically created a man made, oil spewing volcano at the bottom of the ocean. Nothing the government can do to magically fix that... everyone is scratching their heads on how to deal with this. The media is barely covering it too, funny how when there was those 29 coal worker deaths the media was all over it 24/7, but when 11 oil workers die and it causes this! you don't get nearly as much coverage.

fuck it. it'll sort itself out.

yeah...

oilspillmay1.jpg

But the enormously sad truth is, the day-to-day weather reports may not matter much. Nor does the map. A spill on this apparent scale has the potential over time to devastate the entire Gulf coast — beaches, fisheries, human livelihoods, bird species — from Mexico to the west coast of Florida. We may be well into hurricane season by the time they get the leak capped, which could compound the damage in ways hard to imagine.

http://blogs.ajc.com/jay-bookman-blog/2010/05/01/the-nightmare-in-the-gulf-just-gets-more-and-more-grim/?cxntfid=blogs_jay_bookman_blog

good job guys. still think contemporary civilization is sustainable? you know when a simple human-error fucks up an entire ecosystem that you're playing with too much. but wait, they see it as business as usual, so it's super srs for the world economy n' stuff. nvm.

^ yep... pretty fucking depressing...

What we have here is a situation of trying to close the barn door after the horses are out. What we are looking at is the very initial stages of a disaster unprecented in human history imo. We have placed our short-term needs ahead of our long-term survival. We have thrown caution to the wind in an attempt to satisfy our selfish wants.

Found this for those who think this will "fix itself" :

"The area being poisoned:

1.) Produces the largest total seafood landings in the lower 48 states.

2.) Is a vital wintering or resting spot for more than 70 percent of the nation’s migratory waterfowl, a place where hunters usually lead the nation in duck harvest.

3.) Produces more catches of redfish and spotted sea-trout (speckled trout), tuna, wahoo, amberjack, snapper and other top sports species than any other states. The daily limit on specks is 25, and reds is 5. In a typical year Louisiana sportsmen catch a 9 million specks and 2.4 million reds.

4.) It produces 50 percent of the nation’s wild shrimp crop, 35 percent of its blue claw crabs and 40 percent of its oysters.

5.) Researchers say 90 percent of all the marine species in the Gulf of Mexico depend on coastal estuaries at some point in their lives, and most of those estuaries are in Louisiana.

6.) All 110 species of neo-tropical songbirds use the coast, about 50 nesting here, and the last week of April through the first week of May is the peak migration, when about 25 million birds a day are coming across the Gulf, many using Louisiana for their first landfall.

7.) Some 410 species of fish and wildlife – from whales and manatees, tuna and tarpon to ducks, geese and flounder – are imperiled by this spill, according to the state Department of Wildlife and Fisheries."

Imagine if your house was on the coast... people were saying you could already smell the oil some 90 miles out...

I've lived on an island all my life, and I don't know how devastated I would be if it's beaches and wildlife was destroyed in one quick swoop. Everything you knew and loved growing up, gone.

I live about 2hr15 from the coast I guess, 90-100mi from it all. I haven't smelled oil just yet, but I'm sure it'll be soon.

What's particularly horrible about all this is the lack of media coverage. This has been going on for over a week now, and I am just starting to see substantial news coverage on it all. I guess Goldman Sachs hearings are more important than one of the most damaging things we humans have ever done to the Earth, no joke. :shuriken:

Archived