IGNORED

Onra - Long Distance

Guest Backson

Loving this album. It leaked a while back but I plan on buying it whenever it comes out. Very steeped in 80s soul and R&B.

High Hopes is the fucking jam.

Guest blicero

ahhh... plz stop citing dilla for every new instrumental hip-hop wonky broken beat, etc artist

Guest Backson

i have heard very little Dilla, and don't talk about him often, but thought of him when I heard hee beats.

To be more precise, I could say he has a vibe somewhere between 80's electrofunk and early 90s hip-hop.

(i think he's a Dilla fan though. I've seen pictures of him in Dilla shirts, and his album features a guy from Slum Village)

Guest Stoppit

I've got Tribute and Chinoiseries, which are very good (especially Chinoiseries) so I'll check this new one out..although it sounds a bit more ...generic.

Anyone who likes this might want to check Paul White; his album 'The Strange Dreams Of Paul White' is excellent.

Guest Adam

I saw him live last summer. Was pretty boring actually. But I really dig chinoseries, though sometimes it feels like he's copying Dilla a bit...

Guest blicero

I like Onra, and I'm sure that he is a fan of Dilla, as are most hip-hop producers... but i get sick of everyone interjecting a dilla reference when mentioning any new music that involves chopped samples, etc.

If you want to make a comparison, mention dâm funk, or someone more relevant to this style.

i have heard very little Dilla

yeah, exactly. that doesn't help.

/bitchfest

But you're right... it gets tiresome to hear this comparison endlessly. And lot of times its disproportionate, but it just can't be denied.

I mean, did you listen to those two tracks back to back? Same drum pattern with an almost identical bassline.

Guest blicero

Maybe I should start every electronic music thread here with, "... it's like aphex twin ..."

An excellent point. Now lets not derail this thread anymore.

I haven't heard this yet, but I just listened to the track with T3 and it was pretty cool. T3 is the bomb.

Guest blicero

Yes, this record is good. I like this new boogie revival trend. Some of the best synth work comes from this genre.

Guest Backson
i have heard very little Dilla

yeah, exactly. that doesn't help.

Oh, you went there!

ps, should I get this or his Vietnam sampling album?

• 2 months later...
Guest Backson

I had a vision last night

That I need to play this album to my cat

because she is a hip hop cat

But my order is taking fucking forever!

Guest Makinami

Chinoiseries was great and unique. Long Distance is plain generic, following the fad. Dissapointed.

Guest Backson

oh boy, I'm listening now.

I like Sitting Back and a couple of others so far.

I don't listen to alot of hip hop, so this is refreshing.

Archived