IGNORED

mom knocked drink over

oscillik

i'm not being optimistic about this (since when am i ever optimistic?)

all over the fucking computer desk, and inside my computer's case. i've striped it down and i'm hoping the damage is minimal.

:cry:

was the computer on?

the drives will probably be fine.

yes it was on, but i'm jobless. the computer was bought when i wasn't, and it cost me over almost £1000 to build. there's no way that i can replace damaged parts.

laptop or desktop?

if laptop, good advice here: http://lifehacker.com/5440670/how-to-save-your-laptop-from-spills

it's a desktop :( an Antec case with a nice big fan vent on the top, just right for pouring drinks down like a drunken bastard would like :(

Submerge the components in alcohol (at least 90%) and let sit for 5-10 minutes then dry. I brought back a few mp3 players this way and my brother's phone. Never tried it on computer components though.

Guest EleminoP

Hoodie spilled fucking citrus soda on my fucking Waldorf Blofeld. It's ok though.

I spilled tea on one of my external hard drives. Just left it out to dry for a week, then turned it on. Works fine.

I vomited into my first casio,cleaned it out with water, and the fucker worked like a charm.

Sorry about the compy oscillik...good luck with it!

Submerge the components in alcohol (at least 90%) and let sit for 5-10 minutes then dry. I brought back a few mp3 players this way and my brother's phone. Never tried it on computer components though.

ooooooh, that would be so scary but it squares with the chemistry I know. I would want laboratory grade ethanol though--I would be afraid of using anything else since it would likely be cut with water. Assuming it's the good stuff, it would displace any water anywhere and evaporate rapidly without hangin' round the circuits. I wonder if other solvents would work..... :trashbear:

isopropyl alcohol should work fine!

ok, after stripping the machine down immediately after the spillage and leaving it alone all night, i've spent the past hour or so putting it back together. notable and panic inducing pink blotches were on the graphics card (due to it being apple and blackcurrant fruit juice) but it seems to boot up fine and from what i can see, it still works.

keyboard and mousemat are fucked though, so i'm gonna have to order a new one direct from Razer (since ebuyer aren't selling them anymore)

panic over, i hope. :unsure:

Guest Space Coyote

from a comment on the article in the link

"Alcohol presents it's own problems as it is a solvent for many adhesives in there that are waterproof."

Assuming that person knows what he's talking about it might be best not to try this on a laptop.

Archived