IGNORED

madlib v. j dilla?

Alzado

66 members have voted

1. 1. who comes correct?

• Madlib
    • J Dilla

Lord knows I got nothing but love for you blicero, but you might not be the only hip-hop fan on here.

anyways, we all know the correct answer is prince paul.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest blicero

Lord knows I got nothing but love for you blicero, but you might not be the only hip-hop fan on here.

anyways, we all know the correct answer is prince paul.

I know that, but threads like these draw out all the IDM fans who "think" they know hip hop.

also, i don't like these comparison threads.

They are both amazing producers who have given us loads of good music. Do we have to play favorites?

I don't like Donuts

this is now burned into my brain forever.

Dear Jesus,

Please stop all of the senseless hip hop threads from being created on WATMM. If I wanted to discuss hip hop, I'd go to a forum where hip hop fans go. I really don't see the point of discussing hip hop with a group of afx/ae/boc/idm fans.

This is a Music Discussion board. Why can't we talk about hip hop? The recent hip hop threads have probably been my favorite threads on this board. Is there a reason why fans of "idm" shouldn't be allowed to share and expand their knowledge of hip hop? From what I understand, hip hop is a major foundation for practically all the electronic music we have today, especially afx/ae/boc. If we are so ignorant, please drop some knowledge on us and set us straight. I'm all ears. Are our general opinions on hip hop that cringe worthy? And if they are, please spell out our ignorance.

If you don't want to read about hip hop on watmm, don't open the threads.

Guest blicero
Is there a reason why fans of "idm" shouldn't be allowed to share and expand their knowledge of hip hop?

No, not if they are also genuine fans of genuine hip hop.

If you don't want to read about hip hop on watmm, don't open the threads.

quoted for truth. but it's hard to resist when my favorite producer is in the tittle.

this isn't "who's the greatest of all time, madlib or dilla?" just wondering who people prefer between two artists that worked together, inspired each other, and are often written about within the same paragraph. they have similar sounds, but with distinct stylistic differences. i think that's a fair and interesting question.

also, whenever blicero starts acting like a whiny hiphop snob, i immediately think

henry-louis-gates-jr2.jpg

this isn't "who's the greatest of all time, madlib or dilla?" just wondering who people prefer between two artists that worked together, inspired each other, and are often written about within the same paragraph. they have similar sounds, but with distinct stylistic differences. i think that's a fair and interesting question.

also, whenever blicero starts acting like a whiny hiphop snob, i immediately think

henry-louis-gates-jr2.jpg

How is Henry Louis Gates, Jr, a snob?

How is Henry Louis Gates, Jr, a snob?

he's not. he's just what i imagine somebody with the title Professor of Hip Hop might look like.

Guest Greg Reason

P.S. aphex twin v. autechre?

Mahaha well that one's easy at least, ae kick the shit outta afx from fifty paces

Guest blicero
he's just what i imagine somebody with the title Professor of Hip Hop might look like.

(ahem)

the professor:

largepropic.jpg

the teacher:

krs_one_pic_03.jpg

Guest blicero

i love madlib, but being prolific isn't really a plus in my book. he's realeased way more mediocre shit than dilla ever did.

if i play all madlib songs on my ipod, i skip a lot. not so much with dilla.

i love madlib, but being prolific isn't really a plus in my book. he's realeased way more mediocre shit than dilla ever did.

that's a fair point. but when he's got it goin on, he's spectacular. The instrumentals for both Quasimoto albums and Madvillainy are fucking from another planet amazing. More recently, I really liked the In Search of Stoney Jackson instrumental tracks that were released within the last 6 months.

It's probably not a coincidence that my favorite (mostly) Dilla album is Common's Like Water For Chocolate, which one could argue is some of his most smoked out abstract material, the one most similar to madlib in my opinion.

Guest Greg Reason

Ruff Draft is pretty damn smoked too, but in a more angular, acid trippin manner than Like Water, which is smooth and drifting.

Exactly. I love Madlib but sometimes I wonder if he knows what his best stuff is. I've read a few stories about Madlib having beats on tapes, for his personal enjoyment, that he had no plans to release. Someone, usually Peanut Butter Wolf, would hear them and try to convince Madlib to do something with them. It was only because Peanut Butter Wolf asked him about them that we got a large portion of the material that finally made up 'The Unseen' and 'Madvillainy'.

it might not always equate with genius, but it's amazing that someone can stay constantly inspired. although, when you're stoned, everything you do sounds like gold to you. so he probably just keeps going and going.

i think j dilla perfected his sound, while madlib is always kinda blunted, but madlib is way more eclectic—he did a broken beat album ffs, not to mention all the ynq work. had to go with madlib—i like dilla just as much for reasons i don't care quite as much about.

Archived