66 members have voted

1. 1. who comes correct?

• Madlib
    • J Dilla

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 years later...

madlib- easily, to answer this old thread.

new madvillain out this year

I'll believe it when I see it.

lol. I wish this would happen. There's been 4 tracks that have leaked in one from or the other, but DOOM needs to get his shit together.

madlib recently became my favorite living musician

same.

this poll stinks

Agree its like sayin michael jackson vs prince, so boycotting the poll, especially as dilla's career was cut short the whole poll is kinda distasteful their work both compliments the other, & they wouldn't exist with out each other ( fade out sunrise )

Like them both alot as well so tough to say.

I like Dilla at his peak more than I like Madlib at his peak thus far (he's still alive tho - so that's unfair).

But for entire body of work - I'd say Madlib - mostly impressed because he puts out so much and pretty much ALL of it is quality.

this poll stinks

Agree its like sayin michael jackson vs prince, so boycotting the poll, especially as dilla's career was cut short the whole poll is kinda distasteful their work both compliments the other, & they wouldn't exist with out each other ( fade out sunrise )

Michael Jackson, easily.

It's funny that somebody wrote Jaylib in first posts yet Jaylib has separately done instrumentals. For me the answer is bipolar: Madlib at large, for the attitude and all, and Dilla at a singular moment, some hit you can pick.

Glad WATMM chose Madlib, because he's an outsider, sort of uncompromising figure. You can hear how Dilla was part of the process and heavily influenced mainstream hip-hop of today, for no good usually. I can't put Madlib in that great line of Premier, Pete Rock, Dilla etc. He's usually doing it so wrong nobody could mimic him. It's also known from his mate Questlove that Dilla literally was losing sleep over Madlib's stuff, like Lootpack, worrying he couldn't compete.

i've personally never understood the appeal of j-dilla. i never enjoyed any of his music- just seemed like soul beats to me. madlib however i've always enjoyed his stuff though he has an "anything goes" mentality which often lacks a quality control (like the dj rels stuff)

I gotta go with Madlib, surely J Dilla had some great beats, and is without a doubt a legend as well, but Madlib has TONS of releases with a lot more variety in sound overall while still having his personal touch to them. Yes, I know J Dilla met his untimely death and otherwise would have had more releases under his belt but still Madlib cranks out quality beats at a rate thats just insane...

Also IMO Beat Konducta Vol 1-2: Movie Scenes > Donuts

i've personally never understood the appeal of j-dilla. i never enjoyed any of his music- just seemed like soul beats to me. madlib however i've always enjoyed his stuff though he has an "anything goes" mentality which often lacks a quality control (like the dj rels stuff)

Soul beats? You mean Donuts or what? Because Dilla was anything but soul, he was really minimal and soul is typically excessive

http://youtu.be/SP3g8X1LilY

Can one of you guys recommend me one Madlib album and one J Dilla album?

I recommend you wholeassedly my 1h mixes on the subjects

Madlib

Dilla

Keep in mind that's not even close to anthology, i missed some milestones due to technical reasons.

Archived