Alzado

66 members have voted

1. 1. who comes correct?

• Madlib
    • J Dilla

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

J Dilla was the man and had super fire beats... But I have to go with Madlib on this one. I think J Dilla has always been more skilled at production and mixing, but Madlib just has this flair that J Dilla doesn't. I connect with the music more. I think I've always favored Madlib. I told that to one of my friends one time and he snapped "Man you got it all wrong!"

Madlib comes so correct.

Guest Enter a new display name

dilla's dead so clearly madlib won that one...

Yeah, I'm sure Madlib would win if they fought right now.

madlib is better than great, greatest and stuff

but dilla made donuts. come on.

it's like

madlib might make something like that someday, and maybe i haven't heard all his stuff

but it's still like comparing a deep mushroom trip to true nirvana through spiritual enlightenment

in my opinion. seriously, i don't completely believe that. but it's sort of how i view it.

Madlib's perhaps more inventive, or at least more leftfield, Dilla always seemed more focused. Like, Dilla was still business to some degree, like any classic producer, whereas Madlib really just wakes up, gets blazed, makes beats every day.

Yeah, for sure. Dilla does seem more focused. But he also seems more standard. He had a strong penchant for the gangster cliches. Dilla has a lot more chain swingin, whip drivin, weed smokin, gat toting... which is cool, which is cool... but I don't relate to that as much as Madlib's spaced out vibe.

Agreed, that's why I prefer him. Take Madvilliany for instance, that just wouldn't sound as epic with Dilla instead. Most of his stuff isn't as strange or fascinating as Madlib's either, especially upon repeated listens.

I love Dilla but this one's a no brainer for me, gotta go with Madlib. The dude is scarily prolific and his beats are so eclectic and out there. The current Medecine Show series is really showcasing his awesome and eclectic taste and it's just amazing how many projects he has taken on over the years. From the early years with Lootpack, to the brilliant weirdness of Quasimoto, to his collabs with MF Doom, paying homage on Shades of Blue, the spaced out jazz weirdness of Yesterday's New Quintet, his awesome Beat Konducta series...holy fuck! This guy is just the best.

Guest blicero

Dear Jesus,

Please stop all of the senseless hip hop threads from being created on WATMM. If I wanted to discuss hip hop, I'd go to a forum where hip hop fans go. I really don't see the point of discussing hip hop with a group of afx/ae/boc/idm fans.

Thanks -d

P.S. aphex twin v. autechre?

P.P.S. kittens v. puppies?

Archived