IGNORED

Those who Torrented "The Hurt Locker"

Boxing Day

Because they will sue your arse.

Voltage Pictures and the US Copyright Group are teaming up to sue "tens of thousands" of P2P users who downloaded the film The Hurt Locker illegally. A lawyer from the group confirmed the studio's plans to the Hollywood Reporter Wednesday, noting that the scope of this lawsuit is much more far-reaching than the copyright group's past pursuits.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still can't see how I can be judged just because the IP is mine? e.g. my car is stolen and the theif hits an old man, then runs away, and I'm blamed as it's my car. I mean how does the law work here - explain please. Anyway good for me I didn't find the film good enough to dl, after reading about it and watching the trailer. Is it worth watching though?

I still can't see how I can be judged just because the IP is mine? e.g. my car is stolen and the theif hits an old man, then runs away, and I'm blamed as it's my car. I mean how does the law work here - explain please. Anyway good for me I didn't find the film good enough to dl, after reading about it and watching the trailer. Is it worth watching though?

They're only suing americans, don't worry my viking brother. It is worth seeing.

you can't afaik. you live in a good country as far as copyright laws are concerned.

Guest ms-dos

i was going to download this for my mom and send it to her on a DVD-R

good thing i never go through with my favors

Guest Z_B_Z

i torrented this like a year ago. hopefully thats too far back. god what bullshit... how can my isp legally give out private info without my knowledge?

Guest Z_B_Z

apparently the film has been downloaded about ten million times. how do they decide who to sue? "tens of thousands" out of ten million isnt that much.. maybe if the thing actually played in a theater around here i wouldnt have downloaded it. that film had zero distribution, and they bitch about it only making 16 million. put it in enough fucking theaters so people can actually see it! fuck this film and its production company.

When I used to work in an auto-shop the MPAA or something e-mailed the owner of the shop accusing employees of downloading movies illegally from our shop as determined through the IP. We had a wireless network for customers to use while they waited. So my boss replies asking when it had happened etc... Turns out this movie was downloaded on a Sunday (when we weren't open) so it wasn't anyone at our actual shop. Someone had to have driven/walked up and sat outside to use our internet and pirate movies. I also ask the question: where's the proof?

Guest Z_B_Z

these people dont give a shit about proof they just want their fucking money. i guess the ip is enough.. but yeah, there so much grey area in this kind of thing

Guest Z_B_Z

so in other words theyre just scaring people into settling because they know they cant go through with a successful suit? how would you go about suing "tens of thousands" of people?

ip won't hold up in court without the most fucking expensive lawyers prosecuting.

er who exactly do you think is suing people?

hint: it's not bubbles from trailer park boys.

ok theyre expensive lawyers. has anything ever been attempted on this scale before?

there have been two successful prosecutions, both in the US

there have been lots of cases bullied settled on the courtroom steps

Guest Z_B_Z

so if ten thousand people told the lawyers to go fuck themselves, would there be ten thousand dropped lawsuits? or would they go ahead with it?

also, what if the ip owner never actually downloaded anything and it was a situation like the one described earlier in the thread?

ip won't hold up in court without the most fucking expensive lawyers prosecuting.

er who exactly do you think is suing people?

hint: it's not bubbles from trailer park boys.

that's what I'm saying. if these guys didn't have the cash to buy the most expensive lawyers, then they'd have no chance. it's sort of ironic, that they have the cash to get good lawyers in order to sue people for making them lose money.

Isn't America grand?

Archived