IGNORED

Those who Torrented "The Hurt Locker"

Boxing Day

Guest Z_B_Z

FUCKING DOUCHE BAG. saw this on boingboing

Original email from Boing Boing reader Nicholas in Toronto follows.

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Friday, May 14, 2010 6:21 PM

To: Nicolas Chartier

Subject: Hurt Locker lawsuit

Dear Mr. Chartier,

I have recently become aware of Voltage Pictures' intention to sue thousands of people who are suspected of having used BitTorrent to download films produced by your company.

I wish to register my disagreement with these tactics, and would like you to know that as a result of these actions I am boycotting your films. The majority of the people you are suing were not seeking to make money from their downloads, and will be financially devastated by a lawsuit or settlement. While it is completely understandable that Voltage Pictures wishes to defend its intellectual property, this is an inhumane way of doing so.

Until Voltage Pictures publicly states that it will not pursue lawsuits for downloading its films, I will not view, rent or buy any films produced wholly or in part by your company. I will urge my friends and family to take the same actions. I do not wish for the money I spend on entertainment to be used against otherwise good people.

Thank you for your time.

response-

Date: May 15, 2010 2:30:30 AM PDT

To: [redacted]@[redacted].com

Subject: RE: Hurt Locker lawsuit

Hi Nicholas, please feel free to leave your house open every time you go out and please tell your family to do so, please invite people in the streets to come in and take things from you, not to make money out of it by reselling it but just to use it for themselves and help themselves. If you think it's normal they take my work for free, I'm sure you will give away all your furniture and possessions and your family will do the same. I can also send you my bank account information since apparently you work for free and your family too so since you have so much money you should give it away... I actually like to pay my employees, my family, my bank for their work and like to get paid for my work. I'm glad you're a moron who believes stealing is right. I hope your family and your kids end up in jail one day for stealing so maybe they can be taught the difference. Until then, keep being stupid, you're doing that very well. And please do not download, rent, or pay for my movies, I actually like smart and more important HONEST people to watch my films.

best regards,

Nicolas Chartier

Voltage Pictures, LLC

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

But i heard Uwe Boll sucks.

lol, i don't know what to say.

there are people who are obsessed with him and check out every new film.

these people are very similar to people who periodically flagellate themselves while praying.

boll is so bad he'll make your nose bleed. and yet, i kinda like him more than michael bay.

Boll's just incompetent, innit, we can all relate to that in some ways, but Bay's just a calculating cynic.

edit: I've suspected TWC of throttling my connection, but things have been a lot better for the last 6 months.

• 2 weeks later...
We recently reported that Voltage Pictures has filed a lawsuit against the many fans who downloaded "The Hurt Locker" illegally online. The film that won six Oscars, including Best Picture, earned only $17 million in US theaters. Many believe that the suit is a way to make more money.

The company is seeking $1,500 from each defendant in order to settle the suit, making it one of the biggest lawsuits against individuals in history. Voltage warns that people don't pay up, they will be taken to court where they will have to pay ten times that amount ($15,000).

Voltage already has a very large list of names (as many as 5,000) and is still going through the many IP addresses to figure out the rest. The lawsuit is expected to go into effect this week.

Read more: http://worstpreviews.com/headline.php?id=17882&count=0#ixzz0phW1T3Dj

Guest Babar

The Cable/DSL modem itself has a unique MAC address, which is registered with the ISP (this is how they enable/disable your account: by granting/denying access to the MAC address of your modem).

Are you sure ? Don't they use the login+password in order to disable an account ? Mac adresses are easy to change. I'm sure i could change my modem's mac address (it runs on linux).

FUCKING DOUCHE BAG. saw this on boingboing

Original email from Boing Boing reader Nicholas in Toronto follows.

Hi Nicholas, please feel free to leave your house open every time you go out and please tell your family to do so, please invite people in the streets to come in and take things from you, not to make money out of it by reselling it but just to use it for themselves and help themselves. If you think it's normal they take my work for free, I'm sure you will give away all your furniture and possessions and your family will do the same. I can also send you my bank account information since apparently you work for free and your family too so since you have so much money you should give it away... I actually like to pay my employees, my family, my bank for their work and like to get paid for my work. I'm glad you're a moron who believes stealing is right. I hope your family and your kids end up in jail one day for stealing so maybe they can be taught the difference. Until then, keep being stupid, you're doing that very well. And please do not download, rent, or pay for my movies, I actually like smart and more important HONEST people to watch my films.

best regards,

Nicolas Chartier

Voltage Pictures, LLC

this guy is a cunt. Downloading movies doesn't equal stealing them : if a guy'd come into my house and declare :"wow this is some very comfy house you have", i'd say, "go ahead, copy it if you like it".

Are you sure ? Don't they use the login+password in order to disable an account ? Mac adresses are easy to change. I'm sure i could change my modem's mac address (it runs on linux).

I worked for America's 3rd largest ISP for 2 years.

If you changed your MAC address, you wouldn't be able to get online. The CMTS would refuse to give you a proper modem config file (you'll get one called "disabled.bin"). Without a proper config file, you can't talk to the DHCP server and get an IP address. The same thing happens when you don't pay your bill on time. The cable company will take your MAC off the whitelist, and your modem will become disabled (pretty flashing lights!).

if a guy'd come into my house and declare :"wow this is some very comfy house you have", i'd say, "go ahead, copy it if you like it".

well that's a silly comparison.

i don't think mr. chartier is necessarily wrong - his production company produced the hurt locker, and is suing people who torrented it.

but i definitely do think he doesn't comprehend the revenue in rentals, including netflix, amazon and itunes online rentals/streams for some reason. getting a weird feeling the lawsuit won't pan out the way he'd like.

I want to know what the settlement deals are that theyre offering. If its whatever you'd pay for a DVD, maybe a little more that reasonable. But charging massive amounts for it is idiotic.

I have it and haven't even watched it yet, cause I'm really not arsed.

Guest Drahken

Yea the root of the issue isn't so much that they are trying to stop piracy of their content as much as the extreme levels of accountability they hold individuals to. They try and hold an individual responsible for the losses of an entire network of sharers. It is unreasonable to assess an individual's seeding of a movie as being worth thousands of dollars under the premise that a sharer deprived them of sales when they are going after a whole network of sharers simultaneously.

Guest tronicphace

lot of groupthink in this thread...although i'm not surprised nobody in this forum is willing to stand up for what's right. ever thought about the importance of the rule of law or paying for a product rather than stealing it?

i have friends and family that are artists and musicians that are struggling, and a little respect for copyright law can go a long way in helping these kind of people be able to make a buck

terrible waste of a movie anyway, and again, just fear bullshit. fuck those faggots and their faggoty movie.

no it's not man it's an american classic 'real' war movie following in the tradition of Deer Hunter and full metal jacket!!!@#!#

Guest Dirty Protest

lot of groupthink in this thread...although i'm not surprised nobody in this forum is willing to stand up for what's right. ever thought about the importance of the rule of law or paying for a product rather than stealing it?

i have friends and family that are artists and musicians that are struggling, and a little respect for copyright law can go a long way in helping these kind of people be able to make a buck

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009/apr/21/study-finds-pirates-buy-more-music

I think I remember reading that you have a point about movie downloads tho.

Why doesn't the production company suggest a settlement in which each sued person HAS to buy a copy of The Hurt Locker on Blu-Ray or DVD from their website, and call it even?

If they're talking about tens of thousands of people, the company will get massive scrilla without seeming like such pricks.

What bothers me is how impersonal the whole thing is. After I torrented Transformers 2, Dreamworks flew Michael Bay out in person to sodomize me.

that wasn't dreamworks - he paid for that out of his own pocket.

I'll usually buy CD's of any small artist I like, off independent labels and whatnot. I think most people do.

Archived