IGNORED

weeee.. bank card theft.

chaosmachine

I just went to Starbucks and my debit card wouldn't work.

Turns out someone cloned my bank card and took out $484 ($300, $180, and $4 in ATM fees..) in Montreal yesterday, so the bank locked my account.

I lent my mom my card and she used it to take money out at a convenience store ATM, which are notorious for being money laundering, card skimming scam machines... so I'm pretty sure that's where it got skimmed.

Now I have to go get a new card and change my PIN. I was even using a 5 digit PIN.

:rolleyes:

Guest uptown devil

can you get the $484 back?

a few years ago someone stole my phone and used 900 minutes in less than 3 days. people suck

can you get the $484 back?

a few years ago someone stole my phone and used 900 minutes in less than 3 days. people suck

yeah, they are supposed to credit it back to my account in a few days.

Sorry to hear; hope it gets cleared soon.

Back in '06 or so, someone skimmed my card and proceeded to make about 100 individual transactions, each for $24, at the same supermarket chain up the entire west coast of the States, and since I was on vacation I didn't notice this until I was pretty far in the hole. I eventually got all the money back, but it took the bank a few weeks of internal investigation before it got cleared.

Looks like it got skimmed at a gas station, back when I used to use the card for its stated purpose as a "check card." Yeah, I don't do that anymore.

Thats bit shit, but a lesson learn huh? Well hopefully for your mother anyway.

When you say skimmed, you mean like a card copying device on the ATM? Thats why I ALWAYS cover the pad with my hand when entering my pin.

When you say skimmed, you mean like a card copying device on the ATM? Thats why I ALWAYS cover the pad with my hand when entering my pin.

yeah. it's easy for them to rig the pinpad, too.

Guest Gary C

Whilst I was in America my card was hacked too. Whilst in Utah I had allegedly been buying children's clothing from a store in New York.

I'm pretty sure the clone occurred as I paid for my drinks at a bar.

Sounds like a shitty day.

I'm personally very leary of those grey ATMs (like the Triton machines, etc). I've never had my card copied thankfully but I have had those machines simply not give me money and still take it out of my account

Guest Gary C

I'm inclined to believe that as my bank details were bounded about through phone-lines and servers the information was captured at some point and quickly used elsewhere.

I'm generally quite good at hiding my pin. I rarely use my card actually. I prefer to get cash from ATM's. And I always check unfamiliar ATM's for suspicious scanning add-ons.

yeah. it's easy for them to rig the pinpad, too.

Guess so. But in a country so small all the atms are in shops or obvious places. Its hard to bug em without other people seeing. But I do recall it happening before.

looks like it was a massive breach. i went into the bank, and they already had a stack of dead cards, folded in half, on the desk. and it'd only been open an hour. the lady beside me was there for the same reason.

then i went into starbucks, and they said no cards from my bank were working, and they though the bank branch was down... but, of course, my brand new card worked fine.

[youtubehd]6Zq1oIq87pY[/youtubehd]

Surprise at 1:34.

The only surprise I got at 1:34 was my B.I. going up to 200 when I saw that hot chick on the video...

Guest Gary C

Or even better he has a personalized debit card with a picture of batcock on it and shows the newscaster :emotawesomepm9:

Joel Silver called.

Archived