IGNORED

Digital Projection in movie theatres

J3FF3R00

I was looking at showtimes on Fandango and it looks like all of the screen at the Regal Cinemas in Union Square, NYC have converted to Digital Projection.

For the layman, this means it is no longer shown on film.

What the fuckin fuck!?!?!?!?

I hate it when I go to a movie and find out it is a DLP or DP or whatever when it starts. It feels like I'm just watching a DVD on a big screen. Essentially, that is all it is.

Someone share in my rage.

This fuckin blows!!!

it's pretty awesome. especially when most of the films are shot digitally. dlp ftw, tbh.

Sorry but that is bullshit.

DLP is crap. You have been convinced by the man that it is better. Even when it is a digital->film transfer it is better because of the subtractive light/color process (white light separated into colors).

With film, the blacks are actually black because it is a shadow from the light stopping at the film cell. The color is also richer.

With DLP, additive light/color (crap), the blacks are not actually pure black because it is projecting light that is closest to black, hence not an actual shadow = milky blacks.

It is cheaper for the studios to switch to DLP. It is not actually better quality and may never be.

Fuck it.

it's pretty awesome. especially when most of the films are shot digitally. dlp ftw, tbh.

DLP is crap. You have been convinced by the man that it is better. Even when it is a digital->film transfer it is better because of the subtractive light/color process (white light separated into colors).

With film, the blacks are actually black because it is a shadow from the light stopping at the film cell. The color is also richer.

With DLP, additive light/color (crap), the blacks are not actually pure black because it is projecting light that is closest to black, hence not an actual shadow = milky blacks.

It is cheaper for the studios to switch to DLP. It is not actually better quality and may never be.

Fuck it.

yeah pretty much what i learned from a visit to technicolor

however even though digital isnt yet as good as film it definitely will be within 10 years. The color might be a bit different but then again there are pretty huge variations in color just based on the brand of film or chips used in your camera. Film as a medium has pretty much peaked as far as image quality goes, but digital has a huge potential to completely crush film in its range of colors/tones and image quality as technology advances.

There will definitely always be film loyalists though, it just looks really damn good and ages well (aesthetically)

This is bullshit , people conform with any cunt-cutting-cheap technology (MP3 is the prime example of that) Hollywood decides to use in order to save money and give themselves multi-million dollar bonuses.

I'm just watching a BLUERAY on a big screen. Essentially, that is all it is.

Someone share in my boner.

This fuckin rocks!!!

i saw parnassus in film and i almost cried, horrible sound, sounded like mono, and lots and lots of black stains on the image, you might want to blame other than the film, but when i go digital i don't have to take that kind of shit.

edit: fuck colors on their temperature hole

Film does get scratched and dusty the more its played though... But yes the resolution and blacks/color are technically better on film currently... but not for much longer

Fuck it.

all projection is additive, so this explanation is not helpful - neither is your subjective opinion unless you did a side by side comparison

all projection is additive, so this explanation is not helpful - neither is your subjective opinion unless you did a side by side comparison

How is all projection additive?

Guest Babar

projecting light that is closest to black

How is all projection additive?

I mean blocking light is the same as not projecting it (in the case of DLP by turning a mirror)

Some people have said film projection has worse contrast in order to avoid flicker; that at least makes sense.

I was going to post a picture of an old man complaining but instead I stumbled into this and thought it was worth posting

My 11 year old is complaining of dark green vaginal discharge.

........what?

My 10 year old son complains of the same thing.

Hmmm

Tell your 10 year old son to start fucking girls who actually shower then :)

Archived