07 Half Light I

08 Half Light II (No Celebration)

09 Suburban War

10 Month of May

11 Wasted Hours

12 Deep Blue

13 We Used to Wait

14 Sprawl I (Flatland)

15 Sprawl II (Mountains Beyond Mountains)

16 The Suburbs (Continued)

Guest Benedict Cumberbatch

hhm i was going to preorder but the shipping is $5 and the popup isnt https (it may be not worth the risk amitright?) so... guess i'll pick it up locally

Mmm I wonder how this one will sound? First one was a classic. Second one was rather forgettable and bit bland, though No Cars Go hit all the right spots.

I will be paying attention....

the first 2 tracks are out there for listening. radio rips at least but probably proper mp3 now.

the single and title track is quite poppy. a happy piano sound. a little falsetto. neon bible was quite dark.

month of may is very different for them. reminds me of adam ant or something. can't place it.

Watched them live at Reading festival in a small(ish!) tent, it might of been the first time they played the UK? Not sure. But it was after the first album and the place was rammed.

Got to say they tore the place apart, one of the best live performances I have seen. Yet they seem to get bad reviews for gigs whenever I read about them in the press?

Good band.

That was the third one dude, and it wasn't forgettable. No Cars go is better on their first album anyway.

this is basically their heat/night argument. lets not get into it

on a few listens. the suburbs is a great single. month of may sounds like a b-side. not so keen on it. suburbs i really like. very poppy

• 3 weeks later...

love the surburbs single. played it way too much

the other songs that just got played on radio i didnt care that much for

• 1 month later...

bump!

i had no idea this was coming, let alone that it'd been out for a week. watmm, you are slacking.

gonna listen to it shortly.

The album has received positive reviews from critics. Writing for the BBC, Mike Diver wrote, "The Suburbs is [Arcade Fire's] most thrillingly engrossing chapter yet; a complex, captivating work that, several cycles down the line, retains the magic and mystery of that first tentative encounter." Referring to the critically acclaimed 1997 Radiohead album, Diver went on to say, "You could call it their OK Computer. But it’s arguably better than that." Rob Sheffield, in Rolling Stone, awarded the album four out of five stars and described The Suburbs as "their fantastic third album". Having awarded the album four and a half stars out of five, David Marchese's review in Spin describes the album as, "Radiant with apocalyptic tension and grasping to sustain real bonds, [it] extends hungrily outward, recalling the dystopic miasma of William Gibson's sci-fi novels and Sonic Youth's guitar odysseys. Desperate to elude its own corrosive dread, it keeps moving, asking, looking, and making the promise that hope isn't just another spiritual cul-de-sac."

NME's reviewer, Emily Mackay, awarded the album a score of 9 out of 10 and said, "They've judged their moment perfectly, and this deserves to be their 'Automatic for the People'; an album that combines mass accessibility with much greater ambition. Pretty much perfect, in other words – and despite their best efforts, listening to it feels just like coming home."

Guest blakeboogie

This is really good, more mainstream that previous records. First two tracks are my favourites on first listen.

Radiant with apocalyptic tension and grasping to sustain real bonds, [it] extends hungrily outward, recalling the dystopic miasma of William Gibson's sci-fi novels and Sonic Youth's guitar odysseys. Desperate to elude its own corrosive dread, it keeps moving, asking, looking, and making the promise that hope isn't just another spiritual cul-de-sac.

jesus fucking christ

Archived