IGNORED

2010: the year we make etc etc

BCM

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/28/object_2010_kq/

experts say it's more likely to be the booster stage from a previous interplanetary mission in the past (rather than an alien spacecraft).

what interplanetary missions of the past? we haven't been on any...do they mean the likes of Voyager etc? surely they haven't got big boosters on them or anthing - they're just little-ish satellite type things aren't they?

ALIENS IS COMING

Guest analogue wings

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05/28/object_2010_kq/

experts say it's more likely to be the booster stage from a previous interplanetary mission in the past (rather than an alien spacecraft).

what interplanetary missions of the past? we haven't been on any...do they mean the likes of Voyager etc? surely they haven't got big boosters on them or anthing - they're just little-ish satellite type things aren't they?

ALIENS IS COMING

well if you dont understand how satellitey things get into space and you cant be fucked learning because hurr durr knowledge is bad, theres only one possible answer

jeebuz

palin_wink.jpg

I understand how they get into space of course, but this thing is approaching from far away, surely the rockets and boosters used to put the thing in space just fall into orbit (and eventually back to earth) very quickly. I meant that Voyager and the likes don't have big boosters attached to them once they're in space and on their way...

yeah, but all those boosters are jettisoned really quickly after it breaks out of earth's gravity - it literally does just coast to Pluto or wherever with no more boosting apart from perhaps slingshotting around a planet for a speed boost.

Guest Coalbucket PI

Yeah but I thought all the big propulsion stages shouldn't have gone really far into space, as BCM says? If you know so much about it just explain

Edit: yeah what he said

Guest analogue wings

fuck if i know. depends on exactly where each stage gets dropped whether its gonna fall back to earth, go into orbit, or continue in a straight line. a return mission would need to carry its booster stages all the way to the other body where they might or might not escape the gravitational pull of said body after jettison. you might have missions that hang on to a booster stage for a course change or something.

internet has not been very helpful on this, but i have learned that the Baikonur Cosmodrome is extremely IDM

289030799_f2a50e5327.jpg

jsc2003e31965.jpg

didnt we have an actual NASA person on wattum at one stage?

*prepares for impending doom*

*calls Will Smith*

Guest sirch

well, I for one would like to take this opportunity to welcome our new alien overlords.

same. but they won't be over Lorders. ;)

fucking aliens are worse that BoC. Get it over with, already...

this guy has some serious flesh eating (alien) ants in is pants... lol

Guest sirch

i change said pants, and they wreak of Genius! ......... LA ppl, i could sell you said pants... for like some health shake shit.. PM me.

Archived