IGNORED

working out

YEK

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Rabid

its a bunch of crap that running is bad for the knees. Sorry. Everyone has a knew theory, Maybe Ill get proved wrong. You just have to take it easy and treat your injuries and educate yourself.

Running is addictive and easy to do. Two things that make it a winner. You have to like working out or you are doomed. Find something you could do everyday. Something u look forward to.

Running is a waste of time for losing fat. Swim, cycle, jump rope if possible - all better options.

Eat less/better. Run more. Weight training is not your friend if youre fat, well light weight training is but not heavy weight.

Um that's like 66.6% absolutely wrong lol

i'm definitely going to take in all this information. the fact is, i used to be 170 at 6'1" , now i'm 245, and this all changed when i started taking a bunch of meds at least 5 years ago or so. i talked to someone about this and they said that yeah, i'm overweight because of the meds but i can be overweight and healthy... i dunno, i've been doing cardio, i think i'm going to try and cut out sugars here and there. great responses here

how's that Rabid? Explain? Its all calorie burning. Its just what works for you. Id love to swim but its not that convenient. Who does that everyday? It has to be almost everyday. So exercise should be fun and simple.

its a bunch of crap that running is bad for the knees. Sorry. Everyone has a knew theory, Maybe Ill get proved wrong. You just have to take it easy and treat your injuries and educate yourself.

Running is addictive and easy to do. Two things that make it a winner. You have to like working out or you are doomed. Find something you could do everyday. Something u look forward to.

Running is a waste of time for losing fat. Swim, cycle, jump rope if possible - all better options.

Eat less/better. Run more. Weight training is not your friend if youre fat, well light weight training is but not heavy weight.

Care to explain?

Running burns more calories per minute than biking. and its not running thats bad for you, it's running on pavement.

Yeah, I wish I had access to a dirt or grass track that I could run on without shoes or in socks at least.

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

Drink lots of water, eat lots of fiber, muscle training, cardio, stop drinking, dont get stressed about shit, cut out refined sugars, audition to be a male dancer as many times until you can get the job

So all I have to do to look perfect is be perfect? IT'S SO EASY!

indeed

Interval Training

"They say that slow and steady wins the race. But the cardiovascular key to fat burning is using interval training workouts - workouts that alternate high-intensity levels with lower-intensity effort. As I mentioned earlier, that formula keeps your body burning calories long after you've stopped working out."

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

... all the gym pools I've experienced haven't been that bad at all

at least before I pooped in their soup

Guest Rabid

how's that Rabid? Explain? Its all calorie burning. Its just what works for you. Id love to swim but its not that convenient. Who does that everyday? It has to be almost everyday. So exercise should be fun and simple.

I actually agree, especially with the bold part. If running works then do it, but for most fat people it's just plain torture. And it's too inefficient when you have a ~100 lb. load on your back in the form of fat, not to mention the strain that places on your joints. My offered alternative of cycling is more manageable and also quite convenient.

Care to explain?

Ok. Well "run more" should say "do more cardio". And as far as weight training goes, muscle makes up a large fraction of your metabolism - by increasing your muscle mass you increase your long term calorie consumption. So, I don't know where you got the idea that weight training isn't good for fat people. They just have to start with low weights and progress upwards like everyone else. It helps if they have a good routine too. I haven't used stronglifts but many former fatties sweat by it so I'd go with that. I've heard of other routines like p90x but after looking into what exercises they give you, they seem like borderline scams.

Do what you want to do. Cause keeping going is what is important. Doesn't matter what is the best. Make it fun so you keep doin it.

Guest soundbwoy

NO BULLSHIT APPROACH

There is only one rule = Calories in vs. Calories out

That is it.

To lose weight you MUST be in a Calorie deficit.

You can create a MUCH GREATER CALORIE DEFICIT THROUGH DIETING than you can through exercise

Cardio, time-wise, burns less calories than you would expect, and Weight Training even less.

On top of this, low-intensity exercise such as jogging will stimulate your appetite.

USING EXERCISE AS AN EXCUSE TO EAT MORE WILL FUCK UP YOUR WEIGHT LOSS EFFORTS

WHAT TO DO

If you're really fucking fat, you can drop your calories super-super low. If you ever want to get truly lean, or lose the bulk of that weight, unless you DRASTICALLY reduce the shit out of your daily intake, your body won't be using the fat for energy.

Say you're eating 3,500 calories a day

Someone might tell you some great bullshit about reducing your calorie intake by 500 calories a day.

Now you are eating 3,000 calories a day

But if you're daily expenditure is 2,200 calories

YOU ARE STILL GETTING FATTER

JUST SLOWER

By low, we're talking 1,500-2,000

WEIGHT TRAINING IS FUCKING IMPORTANT ON A DECENT DEFICIT

People chatting shit about bulking up even further if you're fat and workout can jog on

If you're on a calorie deficit you are NOT GOING TO BE CREATING HUGE AMOUNTS OF MUSCLE MASS

And as for unfounded fears about creating muscle MASS

Lifting light does fuck all

It doesn't TONE

Lifting heavy creates strength. Actually pushing your body is the only way to give it a stimulus to do something

FOR MASS - 8-12 reps

FOR STRENGTH - about 6 reps before failure

TO DO ABSOLUTELY SHIT ALL AND LOOK LIKE A PUSSY - 1000+ reps of 2kg

WHY LIFT WEIGHTS?

On a deficit your body will use fat stores for energy. It will also be prone to use muscle glycogen. You want to PRESERVE LEAN MASS. Working out will limit the loss of lean mass. If you simply diet super hard, your body won't just be eating fat but also muscle, which will reduce your metabolism. THIS IS FUCKING IMPORTANT

BULLSHIT ABOUT METABOLISM AND MUSCLES

Weight training on a diet is TO PRESERVE LEAN, MUSCLE MASS. It is not to boost your metabolism. BECAUSE IT DOESN'T. Adding even shit loads of muscle will only increase your daily expenditure something shit like 6 calories. The extra 100 calories bullshit was a huge miscalculation between lean mass and muscle. Your liver will probably contribute more calorie-wise.

CARDIO

High-intensity (intervals etc) - promotes muscle growth, raises metabolism, fat-burning post-workout. You do this shit for like 15 minutes.

Low-intensity - you do this shit for like 60 minutes. Too much more and you face burning your own muscles (catabolism) especially if you're on a hard deficit

Super-low, walking etc. - Burns more fat percentage-wise. But takes more time.

THERE IS NO MAGIC FUCKING CARDIO. Intervals MAY WELL RAISE YOUR METABOLISM a lot but jogging for 60 minutes will burn more calories at the time. So basically if you remember it's simply calories in vs. out, which you do is fairly inconsequential.

YOU DON'T NECESSARILY HAVE TO DO CARDIO

If you do WEIGHTS and a hard deficit YOU WILL LOSE THE WEIGHT ANYWAY

DIET CREATES A BIGGER DEFICIT THAN CARDIO EVER COULD

But healthwise, obviously cardiovascular health is desireable. Just don't overdo it.

DIET, NUTRITION ETC.

EAT LESS THAN YOUR BMR

STOP EATING SO MUCH

EAT LESS FOR FUCKS SAKE

WITHOUT A DEFICIT NOTHING WILL CHANGE

WHAT YOU EAT IS NOT AS IMPORTANT AS HOW MUCH

BUT

Suggestions:

If you can, eat healthily. Vegetables, because they'll keep you full (if you're on a deficit, this will stop you going crazy)

EAT PROTEIN - the thermic effect of protein means that in fact, although FSA says protein is about 4 calories, it has been recently shown to be 3.2, due to the thermic effect of food. Look it up if you're interested. Benefits of protein are that they are satisfying, and on a deficit, you will want sufficient protein to limit catabolism (eating your muscles)

FAT - is FINE. The fucking pile of fail fat is bad government bullshit needs to go. Excess of anything is bad. Plenty of cultures eat MASSIVE AMOUNTS OF FAT and stay lean with no heart disease. Simply because they're not EATING OVER THEIR DAILY CALORIC EXPENDITURE. Trans fats, as they are unnatural, are the only fats you really need to avoid. If you start boying off fat, you'll be replacing it with sugar and carbs, which AREN'T SATISFYING. You'll end up eating more. Fat is fucking useful for keeping you satisfied. And, like protein, there are ESSENTIAL ACIDS. Your body NEEDS fat. Your body NEEDS protein. WHAT DOES YOUR BODY NOT REALLY NEED

CARBS

Despite the government's shitty food pyramid of shit lots of carbs, carbs are IN REALITY INESSENTIAL. Your body will burn fat in the absence of carbs. But your brain works on carbs. But even if you don't eat any, your body, by the COMPLETELY NATURAL process of ketosis, will create carbs to feed your brain. BEFORE WE COULD DRIVE TO SUPERMARKETS IN A CAR WE HAD TO HUNT FOR A FOOD. KETOSIS WAS ABSOLUTELY STANDARD

But i'm not promoting ketosis.

Carb's are fine.

BUT THE GOVERNMENTS FIGURES ARE OFF. GET SHIT WITH NUTRITION, NOT RICE, BREAD etc. Eat MORE fat and MORE protein!!!! On workout days etc, eat more carbs for energy.

STUBBORN FAT and HOW TO MAKE THE CALORIE DEFICIT

Hint: NOT BY EATING 8 SHITTY SMALL UNSATISFYING MEALS A DAY PROMPTING YOU TO EAT ALL THE TIME

YOU MAY WELL GO INSANE if you try limiting calories EVERYDAY to 1,500. It's not a lot of food

The solution?

INTERMITTENT FASTING.

Either fast 24hrs once/twice a week. Eliminating a day of food will make a big dent in your weekly calorie intake

Or everyday for 16hrs (finish eating at 10pm at night, start again 16 hours later, consume calories in the 8hr eating window)

This way you can enjoy your food when you do eat. You can eat a decent sized meal, not 60 calories every 30 minutes like enough wastemen will say is great. The many meals approach has been shown in a very recent study to help neither appetite nor promote leanness

FASTING HAS FUCK LOADS OF BENEFITS

IF YOU ARE ALWAYS IN THE FED STATE YOU WILL NOT BE BURNING FAT

IF YOU ARE FASTING YOU ARE TESTING YOUR BODY

YOUR BODY WILL REPAIR CELLS RATHER THAN DIVIDE THEM

THIS IS FUCKING GOOD NEWS

WE DIDN'T SPEND ALL DAY EATING BACK IN THE DAY

FASTING WAS ABSOLUTELY STANDARD

YOUR METABOLISM ACTUALLY RAISES SLIGHTLY

STARVATION MODE DOESN'T OCCUR UNLESS A MASSIVE CALORIE DEFICIT IS MAINTAINED FOR MORE THAN SEVERAL DAYS

FOR INTERMITTENT FASTING LOOK HERE:

http://leangains.blogspot.com/

YOUR METABOLISM WILL NOT SLOW DOWN. YOU WILL NOT GO INTO STARVATION MODE. IT'S A HUGE LOAD OF SHIT

AND THERE IS NOTHING FUCKING SPECIAL ABOUT BREAKFAST

WHY WOULD THERE BE?

MEALTIMES ARE A SOCIAL CONVENTION AND NOTHING ELSE

BREAKFAST DOESN'T KICKSTART YOUR METABOLISM

WAIT UNTIL LUNCH, PROLONGING FAT BURNING, AND REDUCING CALORIES

i'm overweight, mostly due to a plethora of meds that i won't get into... but that won't stop me for trying to lose weight..

i've heard some people swear that push-ups work well. so i was thinking is this a good method to lose weight around yer gut? i can only do 10 at the moment, therefore i can't really do reps. if i did ten, or eventually more about three times a day, i mean, what should i do ?... just do as many as i can and do it through out the day; will that work?

i also was kind of a fatso-person a few years ago until i started running and lifting weights. do it. i couldn´t live without it anymore. push-ups alone won´t really help you. i´m doing 450 a day/ 4 times a week, and to be honest i don´t see any effects. but i like doing them, because that´s the only time i can lay around for a moment. if you don´t care about muscles, do cardio stuff and forget the weights.

Guest iamabe

NO BULLSHIT APPROACH

*formatted rant*

1. I like pasta. I like bread. I like rice. I'm not going to stop eating that shit.

2. Who the fuck is going to not eat for 24 hours?

3. Breakfast = crucial

There is a lack of consensus on some of this stuff and if youre currently not doing anything to diet, exercise etc. try a gradual exercise plan, instead of making tons of changes at once, or you'll get burnt out after a good month, or you'll get injured at the gym. Work your way up to a serious exercise/diet plan but see what you are capable of at first.

I just got this book, cheap, easy to read, and its been helpful so far. Right now i'm doing the "get back in shape" workout, which is very gradual and realistic (even though Men's Health stuff tends to have lots of cheap "get fit fast" slogans, this book is pretty good). If you can do basic exercises like squats and pushups you can follow this book, or really any other book. I just recommend getting a book and maybe a journal to chart your progress. Having something in print helps me stay focused, but everyone is different. If you can find some good info on WATMM, cool. Anything is better than nothing.

This'll fix it.. Question for British--is nudity uh, "not so big a deal" in England? I ask because I happened to be in the locker room for the pool when my genetics professor (an Englishman) was just wrapping up a swim. He talked to me, at length *snicker*, and didn't seem a bit concerned that his cock and balls were getting the same attention the words out of his mouth were. I mean, I tried, you know? Like internal dialogue 'don'tlookdowndon'tlookdown it's a men's looker room, don't be silly' but I seriously think he talked about everything from Oreos to "hot birds" in the pool--which was a huge risk on his part; what if it would have tussed him out? I just did my best to act normal. He was also incredibly--like, Austin Powers--hairy. I dunno, I grew up Puritanical Midwest so it's not so easy for me to shoot the shit while being butt fucking naked.

i think this goes on alot in england.

Guest soundbwoy

1. I like pasta. I like bread. I like rice. I'm not going to stop eating that shit.

Yeah that's fine. I'm not saying stop eating it, no way am I a carbophobe. I eat lots of rice daily, I live in Japan. But the food pyramid is massively imbalanced in favor of carbohydrates, which isn't helping anyone looking to lose wait. Insulin, etc.

2. Who the fuck is going to not eat for 24 hours?

I used to do 24hr fasts (dinner to dinner, so you eat everyday) twice weekly to get down to single digit body fat percentages. Then went back to maintenance and do daily 16hr fasts. Just because you think you can't handle it, doesn't mean there aren't more committed people out there who can and do.

3. Breakfast = crucial

WHY

Breakfast isn't crucial. You can eat it or you can skip it. Just like you could skip lunch. When you eat is unimportant, save for nutrition partitioning post-workout etc. Otherwise TIMING IS COMPLETELY UNIMPORTANT. JUST LIKE EATING BEFORE GOING TO BED IS COMPLETELY FINE if you're within your daily caloric expenditure. NO effect on fat gain at all. NO adverse affect on metabolism!

And here is why you don't know what you're talking about:

I just got this book, cheap, easy to read, and its been helpful so far.

Men's health is notorious for perpetuating all sorts of myths such as your metabolism falling over and dying after 2 seconds of not eating 100g of Casein protein. This is CHEAP and EASY TO READ as expected of a massively supplement/food company funded health magazine for the 99% of the population who don't know better.

Please, do me a favour, and read articles here: http://leangains.blogspot.com/

EVERYTHING I have said has been positively scientifically proven, with hyperlinks to all studies. Everything you claim about breakfast has been scientifcally disproved. There is NOTHING crucial about breakfast. Not to say there's anything particularly bad about it either.

Guest iamabe

I just don't think 24 hour fasting is important to living a generally healthier life, which is all most people want to do. I don't exactly want to look like the (freakishly) jacked guy who writes that blog. That said he has some informative posts there. definitely going to browse his blog a little.

I agree that Men's Health can be dodgy but it's not exactly like you can't get fit to a certain degree by using their information.

Guest Rabid

I highly recommend that you ignore what soundbwoy is saying. I skimmed through his posts and there are some veeeeery bad pieces of advice in there. And most of it is plain wrong.

Guest soundbwoy

I just don't think 24 hour fasting is important to living a generally healthier life, which is all most people want to do. I don't exactly want to look like the (freakishly) jacked guy who writes that blog. That said he has some informative posts there. definitely going to browse his blog a little.

I agree that Men's Health can be dodgy but it's not exactly like you can't get fit to a certain degree by using their information.

Haha ennit. I linked a friend to him the other day and he said the exact same thing. I definitely don't want to either. But you can't get there without benching yourself 2.0x or something silly so I think I'm safe! He's really got great posts and they're all really well written so definitely check it out.

And I agree, Men's Health DOES have plenty of useful stuff. Especially when starting out, anything works really as long you're cutting calories, so there are great workout routines etc. in there. I just disagree with their nutrition.

24hr fasting isn't NECESSARY at all, no, but I do think it has some benefits which you can't get anywhere about from CR (caloric restriction), whereas you can do this at maintenance calorie intake and still reap the benefits. By CR we're talking about the recent rats study where CR made them live like 4x as long or something silly. Think about Okinawans who only eat about 800cals or something stupid, and how they're the longest living on the planet. Although it's early days, I really belive it does have the potential to have massive benefits for anyone and everyone. But yes, whatever your goals, fasting isn't NECESSARY. 16hr fasts aren't so hard at all though, and you get the same benefits. I definitely feel a lot more energetic since starting.

Guest iamabe

But can some one explain this to me?

27031_410414195925_629705925_5500717_6516716_n.jpg

it appears to be a runner comically running with a bottle of wine on a plate as if he were a waiter of some sort

I hear running with a bottle of wine makes you cum stupid hard

Archived