IGNORED

JIm Morrison fortells the future of music...

Guest enxyme

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

boy definitely called it purtay early in teh game dawg

That really new Doors docu narrated by Depp I forgot what it was called is good

Guest Enter a new display name

i fucking hate the doors and jim morrison was a terrible singer and i don't give a fuck what anyone else says because they have completely bought into the hype

It's the case of more bands. Let's stick to IDM, whatever happens!

Guest enxyme

i fucking hate the doors and jim morrison was a terrible singer and i don't give a fuck what anyone else says because they have completely bought into the hype

Yea... I pretty much agree... But I've got some respect for them... They did display some balls... Not a big fan of the goofy organ solo's... heh heh...

Guest enxyme

He is displaying the qualities of a visionary artist here though...

Perhaps he's not using the greatest means to expand his mind(Hard Drugs) but he's had some development and is thinking about how things work and WHY we create music...

Guest Calx Sherbet

Yea... I pretty much agree... But I've got some respect for them

i feel this way about kurt cobain

I have never liked the doors music much besides a few songs. Watching the new docu When Your Strange I found much more interest in the obvious intelligence of Jim Morrison and how crazy careless he got than the Doors music. They kind of remind me of The Mars Volta a little bit in that they were very hit and miss, they wank off quite a bit self indulgently but had a few really good songs and created some really chaotic memorable moments.

he predicted mp3's! omg someone suck his dick right now!

uhh?? how did that have anything to do with mp3's? dewd it was 1970 and he basically just predicted what 90% of our mainstream music would entail. how often were one person controlling machines and doing vocals making popular music at the time?

Guest enxyme

God bless hippies man... They flipped their shit and created the new holistic movement... We must be grateful... :beer:

funny watching everyone else posture.

i wonder what it was like getting that main big musicians in a room together trying to talk about music/future/philosophy/etsee and they're all so obsessed with how they're looking and acting and wording and posturing yadda.

must have been a tense room

must have been a tense room

It was but I don't think for the reasons you stated. That was around the time Jim was at his pinnacle of self absorbed alcoholism. The band was really annoyed with trying to babysit him for the most part. As well as the fact that they felt like the backing band to pop star or something. The rest of the band might look like they are trying to look cool but mostly are probably just wondering what kind of ridiculous out of hand thing Jim is going to say, do, drink at any minute.

eh you can read into it however you like. synthesizers already existed, and you had more primitive forms of electronic music well before that interview. i MAY be saying that because

though

Guest enxyme

eh you can read into it however you like. synthesizers already existed, and you had more primitive forms of electronic music well before that interview. i MAY be saying that because

though

Yep that's true... But is their video of these early electronic artist's stating that?? Would be interesting to see...

At least here we have a successful musician speaking about it...

Guest enxyme

I've always disliked The Doors and especially Jim Morrison because he is the ultimate example of what Hunter S. Thompson warned about--what's at the end of the Tunnel of Enlightenment? Jack shit! Plus, his poetry sucked and that whole Lizard King thing or whatever and he's just everything I'm not about. I liked him when he really did decide to quit everything, grow a beard and get fat. I think he wanted to do the family thing but wound up shittin' it in the bathtub, which was a shame I guess.

However, I nearly got chills up my spine when he basically foretold House Music, Detroit techno and then Aphex Twin at least 20 (30?) years in advance. It's not as if the ideas were totally novel. He knew Kraftwerk at that point. Probably knew about Stockhausen and musique concrete and the rapid development of electronics as instruments thanks to Bob Moog and had even watched Ray Manzarek push some limits with the organ and likely some Moogs himself. But, tracing American music back to the marriage of slave tradition and Victorian imports and going all the way to future Minesweeper performances--that was pretty fucking insightful.

It also happened to be my informative speech, wanna see it? The "Saturn" part was when I showed my friend Mark "Quaristice" back in 2008 and he tricked me by saying, very geniuinely: "this is really awesome music". I was seriously taken aback and he paused just long enough to say "IF I LIVED ON SATURN!!" and I used that story as an attention-getter and talk about why America loves to hate techno. The end is me saying that "I hope you feel less like you're on Saturn and more like you're part of a collective here on Earth"--yeah, it's cheeseball but this stupid class forces you to make really dumbass speeches and the end of July (last day) really can't come fast enough. But, I basically traced the same path Morrison did in the video because that's how it really came to pass (just make sure all the media and presentation is in one folder and you have Powerpoint and then click the "Presentation" Power Point:

The History Of Acid House

"the crowd went wild" as they say, especially my teacher but I feel kinda bad because I not only already have a BA but I did a year in graduate school so presentations are like falling off a log for me. But my whole class is either 18 year olds fresh off the boat (there's even 2 16 year old girls! :pedobear::shuriken::emotawesomepm9: ) or old women who were trimmed from their jobs of a billion years in the Buttfuck of 2008 and are using junior college to do something else. So...I'm pretty much burying them. I nearly spat in my nursing school's face when they said I had to take this class, but what the fuck do you do? Education is the worst fucking game to play; I can't wait until it's over with now. And I used to love school! :facepalm:

Exactly... He has some insight... Would be interesting to see what other musicians of the day were thinking along these lines...

Now why would you like that fact that Jim Morrison lost his will... And became fat? The beard is great... Every man should have a beard... But why fat? Let's stay positive...

Yea... I pretty much agree... But I've got some respect for them

i feel this way about kurt cobain

fuck you all

Archived