IGNORED

Why Do ppl Like Football Sooo Much?

Guest sirch

..i'll passionately watch and back the England games and almost always be dissapointed.. every time. knowingly.

but i've never followed one team or even been remotely into Football outside of world cups or the Euro..

can somebody please explain to me what the big deal is? is it just that you've grown up with it and had it shoved down your throat in some way?

a bit like a religion?

why do YOU, yes you there, like Football?

what is it about watching men running backwards and forwards around a football pitch and kicking a ball around that you enjoy so much?

interested to hear any stories, opinions, ideas, flames, team vs. team aggression, etc. etc. etc.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

following a team is usually more then just buying there football shirt and watching games on sky sports.

for me following a team is traveling around the country watching your club, dark cold Tuesday evening games, the wet December games the game discussions in the pub after, the pre-game meet up in cafes. the signings, clean sheets, the departures, beating your rivals, buying season tickets, the smells of hot dogs, the ups and down of following your team, feeling proud wearing the badge. i find it a lot more personal then following the waste of spaces of england. but the sence of pride flowed over england up to the first game of the world cup was somewhat awe inspiring. pity it had to end as it did.

as for it being stuffed in your face, yes and no. no-one told me to support my team, its just the local team who i happen to go see when i was 9 years old. and that feeling never went away, i love it. football is no doubt MASSIVE. if your born into a football lovng family its no doubt you'll be put in the shit at a young age.

as for arm chair fans say for example who have grown up in London near a club and support a northern based club because they won the cup at some point. i have no idea.

:nelson: @ canadians playing football

:nelson: from champions to out in the first round without beating New Zealand, a team of amateurs

as for arm chair fans say for example who have grown up in London near a club and support a northern based club because they won the cup at some point. i have no idea.

What about those of us deprived of professional soccer in our locality? If I had grown up in say Middlesbrough, I'd undoubtedly follow 'boro. As it is, I have no chance to watch anyone of any quality play here.

:nelson: from champions to out in the first round without beating New Zealand, a team of amateurs

What about those of us deprived of professional soccer in our locality? If I had grown up in say Middlesbrough, I'd undoubtedly follow 'boro. As it is, I have no chance to watch anyone of any quality play here.

i was saying just about people who live in england right near good clubs but choose not to follow them.

international fans yeah imo its fine why wouldnt it be, as im like that with the penguins so i knwo how it feels.

playing football is awesome and always a good time, but watching it sucks. watching tv, in general, sucks. and researching/following the players, the coaches, the teams as competing businesses, etc, etc, is going completely over board, imo. i have family and friends that do it with american football, as well as basketball, among others, and that's all they fucking talk about. plus, i just hate the aggressive, boisterous personalities that often come with those who follow professional sports events, in general. it's just another distraction away from our true potential as an evolving species.

also, in america, professional football and other sports events are nothing but huge spectacles promoting rivalry and even hatred towards on another, backed by the large sums of alcohol available inside the multi-million dollar arenas they're staged inside.

fuck, sports are great for entertainment, and personal development, on an active level, but the huge events they're turned into today are truly reminiscent of the roman gladiator games of old, just a modern, slightly more refined version, but just as fucked up in every way. we're still stuck in our old ways in so many ways, when will history release us of it's chains?! :sparta:

playing football is awesome and always a good time, but watching it sucks. watching tv, in general, sucks. and researching/following the players, the coaches, the teams as competing businesses, etc, etc, is going completely over board, imo. i have family and friends that do it with american football, as well as basketball, among others, and that's all they fucking talk about. plus, i just hate the aggressive, boisterous personalities that often come with those who follow professional sports events, in general. it's just another distraction away from our true potential as an evolving species.

also, in america, professional football and other sports events are nothing but huge spectacles promoting rivalry and even hatred towards on another, backed by the large sums of alcohol available inside the multi-million dollar arenas they're staged inside.

fuck, sports are great for entertainment, and personal development, on an active level, but the huge events they're turned into today are truly reminiscent of the roman gladiator games of old, just a modern, slightly more refined version, but just as fucked up in every way. we're still stuck in our old ways in so many ways, when will history release us of it's chains?! :sparta:

wow you are so out of your depth on this one mate.

EPL and the championship dont serve beers in the stadium, but do in league 1 and 2 .. true story

You can buy a pint in the stadium (except in European competitions), but you can't bring it in view of the pitch i.e. back to your seat

also

Mate.....let it go!

no, you just like soccer way too much. fuck professional sports events, worldwide. they're a waste of our collective energy that should be being put to better use.

it's the exact same thing as the rest of the entertainment business. and religion. Sports are like those two things rolled into one thing. I don't know why you pick on sports/soccer however, as they actually provide hope and faith to billions of people, and distracts them from their completely shitty lives and gives them something to be happy about. Why would we want to get rid of that. Lucky for you you live in a privileged society where you can whine and moan and bitch about things that don't fit into your view of florida.

I agree, professional sports are trash. They're just as much an abomination as patriotism.

Anyway, have fun with your bros, bro.

I can't speak for your experience of 'professional sports' but I can bet it ain't a positive one, brah

Cheer up

In Britain you're just brought up with it constantly from a young age. I came from a family who have no interest in sport but as soon as I went to school I got into it heavily. I don't know if its the game itself in my case. I figure if I was brought up in the US I'd probably be a massive Baseball/Football fan or whatever.

double :nelson: for thinking that i care

Clearly you do, otherwise you wouldn't be posting. Why else would you say your original post in a pejorative manner? Trying to assuage your wounded national image by picking on nation that clearly sucks at football, tsk tsk, how amateurish.

You know, it's just exciting to do some tailgating outside the game, drink some buds, cook up some dogs. See the QB throw a great pass and the RB makes an epic touchdown and then spikes the ball and dances around with his fingers pointing. The boys get hyped and grab each others face mask for a headbutt, followed by an encouraging pat on the tush. Just a great pastime all around.

You know, it's just exciting to do some tailgating outside the game, drink some buds, cook up some dogs. See the QB throw a great pass and the RB makes an epic touchdown and then spikes the ball and dances around with his fingers pointing. The boys get hyped and grab each others face mask for a headbutt, followed by an encouraging pat on the tush. Just a great pastime all around.

Eerm .. (awkward) , wrong sport.

Guest mohamed

double :nelson: for thinking that i care

Clearly you do, otherwise you wouldn't be posting. Why else would you say your original post in a pejorative manner? Trying to assuage your wounded national image by picking on nation that clearly sucks at football, tsk tsk, how amateurish.

:cerious: what do you advice then? :cisfor:

Archived