IGNORED

Apple's Ping

Joyrex

Guest pulsewarrior

You forgot:

get a pc... and install antivirus and driver updates

get any mp3 player you want... and suffer through (usually) inferior U/I and loading issues

get any netbook you want... and look on in envy at the iPad

get any mp3 player you want... because the one you bought in step 2 died on you

get last.fm or whatever social music network you want... and watch as they struggle to survive and all your friends migrate to Ping :emotawesomepm9:

AMIDOINITRITE?

- So you don't have any malware on macs then or ever have to update any drivers. I see ....

- My mp3 player interface - I press on, chose the album from the up and down buttons, then press play. There's certainly no issue interface wise there...

- People that I know with netbooks and tried an iPad could not believe how restrictive they were, shrugged and went back to their (no doubt cheaper) netbook

- My mp3 player is 5 years old and has no hint of dying on me

- None of the people on my friends list of last.fm use iTunes so I can't see that being an issue.

Plus I've only just taken in that it's called fucking 'Ping', what with Microsoft's 'Bing' no doubt Google will bring out 'Thing' that does, erm, stuff.....

Ping!! PING ?!

....and for that reason, ee'm not going to invest, so ee'm oot.

Ping, as in network pinging, you troll :emotawesomepm9:

let's just tell the millions of websites out there to re-code everything to something else instead of flash, so apple can get their fruity hands in everything

so you dont like itunes because you feel its bloated yet its not ok for apple's programmers to dislike flash because they feel its bloated?

who said i liked adobe? i just think its funny that steve jobs talked crap about adobe, and in turn apple gets no flash. fitting for such provocative and "forward thinking" companies...

edit: mcbpete has a good point, google should make "thing" and have it do "stuff". i love corporate humor!

There's more to the "lack of Flash on Apple devices" than just trash talk... I'm sure there was some licensing involved, and thats' what made Apple take the stance they did. A device is different than a computer in that the applications usually have to be custom-coded and designed for the hardware they run on, and I bet Adobe wanted a lot of cash to license Flash support to Apple, and Apple decided to thumb their nose at them and go the "open source" route with HTML 5...

The more I think about Ping, the more it really spells the end of MySpace, which in my book is a good thing...

yeah that could be it. or maybe this: http://www.apple.com/hotnews/thoughts-on-flash/ :cisfor:

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the integration into itunes. I looks much more thought out as the last.fm app. the main problem I currently have with apple is that all braindance people are on last.fm and genius is not working at all for my music. I will give ping a try

I addition only people using itunes will be on ping which is also a problem compared to last.fm (its the same problem facetime has)

Guest disparaissant

i know nothing of ping but my roommate just upgraded to itunes 10 and what the fuck apple? did someone bludgeon all your good designers to death? that interface breaks literally every rule of good design.

I stopped letting apple update after one of the updates got rid of the converter.

I stopped using iTunes after that. Still have an Ipod though.

when you jailbreak you can in theory use your ipod without a computer at all

Guest tv_party

I'm not a big apple fan, but I've gotten used to itunes since getting an ipod. it could benefit from some cosmetic customization options and more variety in the visualizer (one of the things I liked about winamp).

I stopped letting apple update after one of the updates got rid of the converter.

Huh? How would I put new music on it? You realise I said IPOD and not IPHONE?

Guest Fishtank

LOL at iTunes users

LOL at those who use "having an iPod" as an excuse for playing music on iTunes

I think most people hate Apple/iTunes just to hate it - the reality is that iTunes is the most widely used music manager, and iPods are the most common portable music players.

Are they perfect? Nope. Nothing is.

Is there a competitor that even comes close to the market share Apple has? Nope.

Wanna know why?

Because they actually make decent software and hardware that most people like and enjoy.

The only reason I like iTunes is because of how it organizes everything

of coarse playing a flac on VLC sounds way better

you just install a download plugin for safari via cydia and download stuff from rapidshare via wifi like you would on your computer. then you use ifile to extract it and listen to it. same with apps or movies or whatever

in case you are not talking about ipod touch you can just put linux on it

itunes is just overkill

How so? It does one thing, and does it well.

There's more to the "lack of Flash on Apple devices" than just trash talk... I'm sure there was some licensing involved, and thats' what made Apple take the stance they did. A device is different than a computer in that the applications usually have to be custom-coded and designed for the hardware they run on, and I bet Adobe wanted a lot of cash to license Flash support to Apple, and Apple decided to thumb their nose at them and go the "open source" route with HTML 5...

The more I think about Ping, the more it really spells the end of MySpace, which in my book is a good thing...

apple's lack of flash on touchscreen devices is mainly because flash is predicated on a cursor for navigation. apple's touchscreens have no such thing, so it was a design decision more than anything. it seems possible to me that flash could be adapted to go cursorless, but i am not a dev.

Javascript supports touch and gestures now, so no reason Flash cannot - a finger creating coordinates on a screen is no different than a mouse pointer.

There are licensing costs involved with H.264 as well. Apple should stfu about "open standards". The real free/open codecs (Theora and VP8) get attacked by those MPEG cunts through patent claims.

H.264 is going free now, or so I recall reading not long ago...

i know nothing of ping but my roommate just upgraded to itunes 10 and what the fuck apple? did someone bludgeon all your good designers to death? that interface breaks literally every rule of good design.

I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary other than the window controls being down the left side rather than horizontally... So I'd love to know what you're on about.

I'm not a big apple fan, but I've gotten used to itunes since getting an ipod. it could benefit from some cosmetic customization options and more variety in the visualizer (one of the things I liked about winamp).

I've never understood why people bother with the visualizers - they are NOT in sync to the music at all, and are just light shows - who sits there staring at your computer while you listen to music? Me, I work, or browse the internet while music is playing.

you just install a download plugin for safari via cydia and download stuff from rapidshare via wifi like you would on your computer. then you use ifile to extract it and listen to it. same with apps or movies or whatever

Yeah dude, Ive one of these. 5th gen

ipod-video-001.jpg

ipod-video-001.jpg

ah ok. its not fully supported yet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPodLinux

Joyrex: when you say though "oh well i don't use that feature of the software so why should it be there?" that's pretty presumptuous. I happen to like sitting and staring at the visualiser to zone out. Also read that thing about thoughts on flash, Jobs (or whoever wrote it) addresses the issue of events like "mouseover events" and how touch with a finger is different from control with a mouse.

o000o - the iPod he's referring to doesn't have wi-fi, so the only way to get music on it is via a computer.

Joyrex: when you say though "oh well i don't use that feature of the software so why should it be there?" that's pretty presumptuous. I happen to like sitting and staring at the visualiser to zone out. Also read that thing about thoughts on flash, Jobs (or whoever wrote it) addresses the issue of events like "mouseover events" and how touch with a finger is different from control with a mouse.

o000o - the iPod he's referring to doesn't have wi-fi, so the only way to get music on it is via a computer.

yeah right. I was totally on the ipod touch while thinking about it.

I know, cause that's how i used to get music - torrent straight to the ipod touch...lol

lol yeah that was what I was referring to you can use it as some kind of very small laptop replacement if you wish

i predict failure for ping because I read all this thread and I still have no idea wtf is ping.

ping is last.fm for itunes users

and how is it supposed to kill myspace then?

do a lot of people use last.fm? I never really got into it.

hmmm. i'm using this now and it's hardly a last.fm replacement. it only seems to be linked to music i buy in itunes, and i don't buy music in itunes. it isn't tracking what i listen to at all. maybe there's a way to do that, but i'm not seeing it. i'll stick to last.fm.

ipod-video-001.jpg

ah ok. its not fully supported yet: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPodLinux

I think rockbox supports ipod 5g

http://www.rockbox.org/

edit:

also: http://thelittleappfactory.com/irip/

and i bet there's some free software around to do that.

Guest ruiagnelo

so is this itunes version 10 out already or what?

i see plenty of reviews around the web but itunes says is up do date when i make it search for available updates..

Archived