IGNORED

When Your Car Battery Dies...

Rubin Farr

never really considered scooter or other bike as a possibility. plus, like i said, i often carry a lot of stuff with me, so i need space.

about 6 months ago i got my car, a citroen c3, for a ridiculously low price, considering it was almost new and has a very favorable relation price/fuel consumption/co2 emissions.

about 100 g/Km co2 and 4 litres per 100 km.

of course in the commercials everything looks beautiful and green, but in the end they all are polluting machines and cost us way more than just the buying and fuel expenditure. but if we all buy the cheaper and economical cars, even if they are small and ugly, it can be a good starting point.

in my country i can see already how co2 emission taxes are making pressure on people's wallets, but i still see the old mercedes benz consuming 10 or 11 litres per 100 km and expensive cars being driven by one person only.

i have been looking for some of those share your car programs, where you meet people that have similar daily routes and get to share your car/costs with them. but it's not easy.

people still see the automobile as kind of a status defining and ultra personal object.

Right, forgot about the stuff you have to carry with ya... I almost live in my car I drive so much, I don't know what I would do/ where I would put my stuff if it wasn't in there.

I drive a 2005 Pontiac Sunfire, the thing sucks gas like crazy.. which makes me wonder if something is wrong. a 55 mile drive and back takes a little over a quarter of my roughly 8-gallon tank, if not half a tank.

I've also considered one of those carpooling/ share the car programs, but I'm too lazy to do it, and also enjoy driving a lot.

I just wish that I didn't see people driving Hummers and F350s and shit like that without legitimate reasons (such as pulling extremely heavy loads like tractors and the like, which I see quite a bit of)... driving them for luxury just seems like hella waste of gas, on top of the obvious issue of pollution.

Guest ruiagnelo

never really considered scooter or other bike as a possibility. plus, like i said, i often carry a lot of stuff with me, so i need space.

about 6 months ago i got my car, a citroen c3, for a ridiculously low price, considering it was almost new and has a very favorable relation price/fuel consumption/co2 emissions.

about 100 g/Km co2 and 4 litres per 100 km.

of course in the commercials everything looks beautiful and green, but in the end they all are polluting machines and cost us way more than just the buying and fuel expenditure. but if we all buy the cheaper and economical cars, even if they are small and ugly, it can be a good starting point.

in my country i can see already how co2 emission taxes are making pressure on people's wallets, but i still see the old mercedes benz consuming 10 or 11 litres per 100 km and expensive cars being driven by one person only.

i have been looking for some of those share your car programs, where you meet people that have similar daily routes and get to share your car/costs with them. but it's not easy.

people still see the automobile as kind of a status defining and ultra personal object.

Right, forgot about the stuff you have to carry with ya... I almost live in my car I drive so much, I don't know what I would do/ where I would put my stuff if it wasn't in there.

I drive a 2005 Pontiac Sunfire, the thing sucks gas like crazy.. which makes me wonder if something is wrong. a 55 mile drive and back takes a little over a quarter of my roughly 8-gallon tank, if not half a tank.

I've also considered one of those carpooling/ share the car programs, but I'm too lazy to do it, and also enjoy driving a lot.

I just wish that I didn't see people driving Hummers and F350s and shit like that without legitimate reasons (such as pulling extremely heavy loads like tractors and the like, which I see quite a bit of)... driving them for luxury just seems like hella waste of gas, on top of the obvious issue of pollution.

there was a time when my uncle literally spent his life driving. he would be a month working in one city, and the next month he had already gone to another. curiously it was the same job and a good job, if you ask me. but it required from him a serious effort and he would be completely exhausted from time to time.

my mom is a teacher and she also spent the first decades of her career driving around, from one school to another, in periods of 3 or 4 years. some villages were pretty far away from any major city, but children obviously needed to learn, so from time to time, a teacher would be chosen and sent to work there. this meant travelling a lot on a daily basis. it was a very serious effort.

but this is just to show how, since i remember being in this world, nearly every person i know had a very serious dependence on a car.

this makes me think that it wasn't because it was impossible or hard to find alternatives but because the automobile came in as an object so fulfilling in life, that we simply forgot everything else.

but what i find intersting in american cars is their imposing image, their presence and scale.

there is a guy in my city that owns a club [possibly several] and drives a hummer. i haven't seen it in a while, but i remember walking around with my mates, and everyone would stop and even take photos of it, because it is such a big car when compared to european cars, or even american brands that have a strong presence on europe, as ford or chevrolet. it was quite an incredible sight.

there was also a very old red cadillac driving around my city, a very nice car, kind of grandiose.

i find it almost surreal that a cadillac, a car of the wide american city roads, would be driving through the tight small roads of my city:

1272824479_91340040_1-Predio-em-razoavel-estado-geral-Alta-de-Coimbra-1272824479.jpg

:lol:

Archived