IGNORED

Barcelona

jhonny

Guest MortstoX

Park Guell, MACBA, Sagrada Familia and Camp Nou. La Rambla is crowded and not very charming, but see it anyway. Nice spots to shop, eat and drink in Barri Gotic, around MACBA/El Raval, Barceloneta and El Born. I would also stay away from El Raval at night.

Club Moog is pretty good, just off Las Ramblas though so tons of tourists and shitty drug dealers in the area. Dont let that put you off the club though, its wicked.

Guest ruiagnelo

i remember no names, but there are plenty of varied bars/restaurants to chose from.

in restaurants keep in mind that spanish have a tradition of eating tapas, which are small doses of the most varied food, which make the meal. they don't really order one or two dishes per meal. they eat a bit of this, with a bit of that, mixed with another one, etc. etc.

when it comes to history/architecture there is mainly Gaudi, as he has build almost exclusively everything in the city. there is some contemporary architecture by Herzo & the Meuron, a nice museum overlooking a huge plaza, project of american architect Richard Meyer and plenty of catalan modern/contemporary architecture, which is very balanced and fresh looking.

the beaches are nice too, at least in the summer, but you won't catch the best of times to go there.

the ramblas are incredible. it's a huge street coming from Plaza de Catalunya (as far as i remember) down to the statue of Colombus, 'El Colón' where all the street artists gather and make a really funny and pleasant space.

one aspect that makes Barcelona one of the most visited and top cities to live in is its spacial organization. the modern neighborhoods around the medieval city follow a strict grid, which creates blocks of buildings that are similar in relation to the street, but can be transformed on the inside in different ways. barcelona owes that to Ildefons Cerdà, the mastermind behind the masterplan.

Oh shit. I forgot there is Montserat not far from barcelona. I was there like month ago and it was amazing. The views from the summit are unforgetable. And the mountain itself is very inetresting and unusual. You could spend one day there and other in barcelona. Highly recomend.

• 11 years later...

Refraining from opening a new thread, any tips on things, nice/quirky places, food, gigs (which is unlikely in Mid-August), parties etc. a WATMMer shouldn't miss in 2022?  (next week actually). ?

Edited by Disappearer

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2022 at 5:20 PM, Disappearer said:

Refraining from opening a new thread, any tips on things, nice/quirky places, food, gigs (which is unlikely in Mid-August), parties etc. a WATMMer shouldn't miss in 2022?  (next week actually). ?

I went to a cozy (very small, but very good) cocktail bar last time I visited. I think it's been remodeled since but the owner is the same so probably still worth a visit. Great drinks and ambiance they serve auteur cocktails.

Name is Kyoudai 33. On Calle Rocafort 33.

Just checked their IG and apparently they're changing location, last day is Aug 29th.

Edited by GORDO
Bad info

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2022 at 4:44 AM, GORDO said:

I went to a cozy (very small, but very good) cocktail bar last time I visited. I think it's been remodeled since but the owner is the same so probably still worth a visit. Great drinks and ambiance they serve auteur cocktails.

Name is Kyoudai 33. On Calle Rocafort 33.

Just checked their IG and apparently they're changing location, last day is Aug 29th.

Thanks for your reply, I only saw it after I returned back home, but I appreciate it anyways. Had a good time, wasn't able to find any place spinning stuff for WATMM tourists (Rone was supposed to play on Razzmatazz, but he had to cancel for very unfortunate reasons), but did all the classic Gaudi stuff, tested my resistance against Covid @ the  Gràcia festival, managed to catch the Banksy exhibition, caught some rays and swam on Bogatell Beach (less overcrowded and overall better than Barceloneta imo) and since I don't really like seafood, I've had what could very well be the best steak of my life, on an Argentinian (Buenos Aires Grill Restaurant) on Eixample (which was also the area I liked the most). ?