Laptops

Guest Gary C

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ruiagnelo

i have been using my toshiba for almost two years now, and it is incredible

satellite_l500.jpg

had to take it for a cleaning a couple of months ago, because it was heating a little bit and right now it is fresh as new.

Guest sweater weather

lenovo has the some of best build quality and reliability i've seen from most commercial laptop brands. check out this model, just expand the ram to 4gb and get a 7200rpm HDD and you'll be set with an awesome machine. right in your price range as well.

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/gbweb/LenovoPortal/en_GB/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=FD6DB49790C7411D933567FC361231FB&current-category-id=D07651B77EF442D3B5D677423B801698&action=init

• 2 weeks later...

Toshiba was good... about 10 years ago when they were actual innovators in laptop design. But that's changed quite a bit in recent years.

I had a fairly pricey Satellite model, purchased in 2004, and was the worst computing experience in my life. Complete trash. Serious fucking design defects, especially with the cooling/internal layout -- the fans seemed designed to do nothing more than direct dust to the mb, and within a month of light use in typical environments (school, library) you'd have serious thermal problems and the computer would abruptly shut off (read: not shut down). That was fun during exams/finals etc. I got a class action notice about this a while ago.

Plus the flimsiest plastic build quality imaginable.

You couldn't pay me to own another Toshiba laptop.

Honestly, the build issues are what got me to pay up and get a Mac laptop, which is sturdy as hell and has lasted 3 years of intense use with no noticeable degradation in quality, whereas the Toshiba was junk within a few months.

baph hates Toshiba.

Dell or Toshiba?

my advice is to buy one of the latest gen 13" unibody macbooks and then run windows on it

lol i clicked on this thread about to recommend the exact same thing. Something about MBP is just unbeatable as far as laptop hardware. Mac's really are an amazing laptop solution compared to the fix-me market of PC laptops for the past 8 years.

again... ipad. Laptops and netbook won't exist in 5 years from now.

can i run any of my pc software on it?

my advice is to buy one of the latest gen 13" unibody macbooks and then run windows on it

sorry but that's bloody silly.

macbooks don't have any magical hardware in them. the hardware is overpriced compared with other machines, and this is coming from a long time mac user. Although the gap between the macbook and comparative pieces of kit is smaller, it's still going to cost you more.

if you're going to buy a mac, do it for the complete system, as that's what apple makes.

sorry but that's bloody silly.

macbooks don't have any magical hardware in them. the hardware is overpriced compared with other machines, and this is coming from a long time mac user. Although the gap between the macbook and comparative pieces of kit is smaller, it's still going to cost you more.

if you're going to buy a mac, do it for the complete system, as that's what apple makes.

theres nothing magical about decent components that all run together smoothly as oppose to any number of pc laptops that have cut corners (i.e. cheap components mixed with quality ones) price is certianly an issue but one that I am not gonna argue. It's an all around stable computer with good hardware, just short of a powerhouse graphics card but come on what other laptop really does? Asus? does asus use quality parts all around? Do they just hype up one capability to death and short side the rest?

plus, what defines a complete system chen?

i think hes butthurt that i said run windows on it

and the hardware might not be "magical" but the build quality is superb

apple may not have a fucking clue when it comes to an operating system but hardware and design they make things work together very well

kaen: I'll take OS X over windows (and yes, I have used Windows 7) any goddamned day, which is the reason I have a Macbook (sadly in need of an update after 4 years).

If either of you can tell me what you think is so special about Macbooks that warrants spending the extra money on them, have at it. Same processors, same GPUs, same motherboards, same chinese manufacturing plants.

david: a complete system in that they design their OS to run on their hardware specifications.

I'm not saying the Macbook is worse than the competition, I'm saying it doesn't make economic sense to buy it and run windows on it, as that's not how it was designed. It's worth the money for the system, not just for the hardware, which is fairly generic.

Gotta agree with Chen. I don't know anything about Macs, but if I were going to spend so much money on one I certainly wouldn't run Windows on it.

If it's built to run OSX, I'd rather not fuck about with it and just let it do what it's made to.

A Macbook does interest me, but I don't have as many creative hobbies nowadays as I used to. I gave up knob-twiddling and Photoshopping once I got a full-time job.

I haven't had a new laptop since 2004, and even then it wasn't high-spec. I just want a computer that runs smoothly, has a battery life again, a graphics card to play more sophisticated games and mainly a clean slate so I can uninstall all that unnecessary software straight away.

I'm swaying more towards the Toshiba at the moment, as the blu-ray drive is an attractive extra.

Gotta agree with Chen. I don't know anything about Macs, but if I were going to spend so much money on one I certainly wouldn't run Windows on it.

If it's built to run OSX, I'd rather not fuck about with it and just let it do what it's made to.

A Macbook does interest me, but I don't have as many creative hobbies nowadays as I used to. I gave up knob-twiddling and Photoshopping once I got a full-time job.

I haven't had a new laptop since 2004, and even then it wasn't high-spec. I just want a computer that runs smoothly, has a battery life again, a graphics card to play more sophisticated games and mainly a clean slate so I can uninstall all that unnecessary software straight away.

I'm swaying more towards the Toshiba at the moment, as the blu-ray drive is an attractive extra.

blu-ray in a laptop isn't worth it, i bet you could buy a proper one with the price difference, get the dell. gave you tried buying from dell's website? they often have offers and stuff.

Archived