IGNORED

if there's an element of music you don't like in a good song,

Guest AcrossCanyons

Guest AcrossCanyons

I've been in and out of a heavy metal kick the past month or so, and being heavy metal, shit is full of cheese when it comes to the vocals and it can be a bit off putting, but I can listen through it and get into the instrumentals - just curious if other people enjoy music in the same way, or if an unfavorable element ruins the song for them? Discuss. :sorcerer:

Guest nene multiple assgasms

If I don't like the vocals it's usually hard for me to get into a tune. otherwise I'm pretty open-minded.

If I don't like the vocals it's usually hard for me to get into a tune. otherwise I'm pretty open-minded.

This.

And yes I think so. I've found that sometimes a single sound can break a song for me. I think it was SR4 ages ago who wrote that one of the tunes on Snares classical album (think it was Hajnal) starts amazingly, then drops this ridiculous fuzzy bass which ruins the whole track because it just doesn't work well in the least. I thought the same when I heard it.

Guest Calx Sherbet

it's all about the singer for me. if i don't like their voice, i don't like the song. i think it's too difficult to ignore and look past.

Vocals can usually ruin it for me if I don't like them, and if I don't like the lead instrument I may find it difficult to listen past.

I've been in and out of a heavy metal kick the past month or so, and being heavy metal, shit is full of cheese when it comes to the vocals and it can be a bit off putting, but I can listen through it and get into the instrumentals - just curious if other people enjoy music in the same way, or if an unfavorable element ruins the song for them? Discuss. :sorcerer:

This is part of why I prefer black metal and death metal to straightforward "heavy metal".

The irritating fucking stupid wibbly sounds on 'The Psychedelic Sounds of The 13th Floor Elevators' made that album unlistenable for me, and so I never checked out anything else to do with them.

Guest disparaissant

if the other bits of the song are REALLY good, i can usually deal. then after a while i end up liking the element of the song i hated in the first place. which brings us to now, where i like almost anything and have literally no filter whatsoever and like things way too much. which is not ENTIRELY a bad thing.

Guest Wall Bird

It's gonna take more than one element of a song to discourage me from listening when the rest of it is pretty great. There are often good qualities and things to learn or consider in even the worst songs, so I'm not too turned off by relatively minor things like vocals, for instance.

On the other hand, these unfavorable elements do factor into my decision to play them in the presence of someone else.

Archived