IGNORED

ODD FUTURE WOLF GANG KILL THEM ALL

Guest KY

You know, I kind of don't know what to think of these guys. Aesthetically I think they're fucking awesome.

At first I thought Albini was kind of right and I felt like I should grow up. But it's starting to have the opposite effect: now I'm starting to see Albini as kind of a curmudgeon. but now that I think about it he says some things that get on my tits, like how he called sampling a "bad dance move" in that one documentary. Maybe it's a Chicago thing. Or maybe he's just trying to honestly acknowledge his irreconcilable aesthetic/cultural differences, which takes some courage.

Either way, that doesn't excuse any of OFWGKTA's shitty behavior. But just because they're douchey IRL doesn't mean I can't enjoy their nihilistic cartoon shtick from a distance. The one thing I know for sure is the music is fun as hell.

Guest Margatroid

You know, I kind of don't know what to think of these guys. Aesthetically I think they're fucking awesome.

At first I thought Albini was kind of right and I felt like I should grow up. But it's starting to have the opposite effect: now I'm starting to see Albini as kind of a curmudgeon. but now that I think about it he says some things that get on my tits, like how he called sampling a "bad dance move" in that one documentary. Maybe it's a Chicago thing. Or maybe he's just trying to honestly acknowledge his irreconcilable aesthetic/cultural differences, which takes some courage.

Either way, that doesn't excuse any of OFWGKTA's shitty behavior. But just because they're douchey IRL doesn't mean I can't enjoy their nihilistic cartoon shtick from a distance. The one thing I know for sure is the music is fun as hell.

I was reading the comments on that Albini article just now (which are hilarious) and I thought this one was fairly accurate:

"people forget what was interesting about Odd Future when they first showed up. apparently, OFWGKTA has forgotten (or never got it) also. What was cool about them was that they weren't street thug black kids, but instead they were clearly middle class skater nerd black kids. they seemed like the kind of guys that probably hang out with a lot of white skater kids and probably watch adult swim and jackass and smoke weed.

in short: they seemed like cool kids who were harmless and smart. In their raps were capable of irony and of being self depreciating, and they didn't mind being a little geeky. They seemed like a breath of intelligent (albeit far from intellectual) fresh air for stale hip hop.

fast forward several months and the indie blog "fame" thing has got them. suddenly they think they're real hip hop hoods. They have money, and they're talking about it in an ugly way. They continue to say obnoxious shit about girls and about gay people, but it's different now because now they have access to real women, and have definitely met, hung out with, and worked with gay people. There's nothing harmless about their misogyny or homophobia anymore. It's not a joke now.

I guarantee you that their creative evolution has atrophied as of this moment and they will not be getting any better. their act is getting more arrogant, and a lot less interesting. If only they'd had some time to develop, maybe they might have stayed fresh, and different. Instead they are becoming exactly the kind of boring hip hop stars that they once seemed to be making obsolete. worst of all, they're living the thug life while they're still not popular with actual black people, just a bunch of limp dick white bloggers."

Or maybe that's overly pessimistic and they'll end up being amazing artists five years from now.

Personally, I like some of their songs but I find their overall vibe to be too juvenile to be interesting. The part about Earl making new, cleaner tracks under the watchful eye of a Samoan minder is fucking hilarious though. I kind of hope he ends up having a massive rebellious phase and does something amazing when he inevitably gets sick of being mothered.

Edited by Margatroid

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN-xq7t6pKw

at this point, the bulk of odd future's "kill people burn shit fuck school" is perfect for angsty 16-year-olds who hate cops because they were kicked out of their favorite skate spot. it's like a flashmob in band form. i definitely remove my co-sign of OF for the most part, although i'm still curious where the earl sweatshirt situation will go.

It's about fun, being smart and not giving a shit about things that don't interest you. Get a grip

like when domo genesis hits a girl for no reason in the video?

...really?

after a long enough amount of time, being confrontational and not giving a fuck turns into immaturity and borderline-offensive shit. they're going to have to grow out of the "kill people burn shit fuck school" approach sooner rather than later—they're not going to be kids forever.

this new video seriously sealed the deal, I just can't dig em anymore. plus, did tyler really need the beat to drop five times in his verse? kind of weak.

Hahah so typical.. In a bad way. Look who the op is. They werent that diferent one year ago.... Know what I'm saying?

Why do you need to remind me that I'm the one that started my thread? The allure wore off, now their approach is a juvenile in-your-face formula. Opinions can change...and yet it seems like you've been a consistent cunt to me in nearly every thread in which we've talked. Not sure why that is.

They havent changed, tylers third album will be as serious as the other 2.

The hype is too high now, and you don't like it. Thats my opinion.

Edited by Kanakori

Well I definitely agree that they haven't changed, but what was once a mysterious crew whose EARL video confused and intrigued the internet at large, is now the mascot for a fanclub of really obnoxious kids. It's not necessarily the hype that turns me off, just the fanclub. And I suppose the misogyny/violence/attitude lost its luster really quickly for me.

Anyway, no hard feelings dude!

So you don't like an artist because of its fanbase? And the artists must be renovating themselves all the time to meet your standards?

No hard feelings.

Edited by Kanakori

Well I find it hard to accept universal truths.... especially when i'm dealing with a group of talented teenagers who are more prolific than most artists, and that: a) made it to the top by themselves, and b) are changing rap music industry on the inside

Edited by Kanakori

Well I find it hard to accept universal truths.... especially when i'm dealing with a group of talented teenagers who are more prolific than most artists, and that: a) made it to the top by themselves, and b) are changing rap music industry on the inside

why is is that quotes like this INSTANTLY destroy any sense of credibility. oh yeah! cause it's complete bullshit!

Why is it bullshit? I see mainstream artists (not that they arent by now) making collabs with them, Goblin vs Martians was requested by The Game. The video clip was shot by Matt Alonzo, the one that usualy produces with tyler, so they adopted their image, and other artists are copying it too in other videos. Tyler won a grammy without getting a single coin from the music industry, his work proliferated through the internet, not the radio or tv. And now they're finally making collabs with hip-hop producers from the L.A beat scene, These are facts....

But yeah whatever, Its all bullshit after all.

Edited by Kanakori

why is is that quotes like this INSTANTLY destroy any sense of credibility. oh yeah! cause it's complete bullshit!

:duckhunt:

So you don't like an artist because of its fanbase? And the artists must be renovating themselves all the time to meet your standards?

No hard feelings.

for chrissakes, dude. they release a lot of music, but i associate "prolific" with consistently good music. their releases are far from consistently good, and I never claimed otherwise. maybe it's the language barrier, but you've got to be thick-headed as fuck not to understand what i'm saying. or you're just being a prick as per usual.

come on dude how can you not understand where ky is coming from? it's a gimmick group and the gimmick wore off. pretty simple.

really simple.

Edited by KY

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Backson

So earl is back proper, turns out I was totally off the mark when I said it was faked.

I hope they encourage his next release to be really intense and unnerving, and not just pick on him and film it like they always do.

i kinda feel like tim and eric ruined sketch comedy by being better than everyone else.

edit: not that it matters because this looks like a pretty atrocious mix of sub-par jackass and pathetic chapelle ripoffs.

Edited by dr lopez

They're talented chassis ,thats not the question here. I think if loiter squad doesnt work out they'll have to stay away for some years.

Edited by Kanakori