IGNORED

Steve Jobs Believed To Have "About Six Months Left"

Joyrex

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

all haptic feedback means at the moment is that the phone vibrates when you touch something on the screen, at least for most phones.

yes. Imo its pretty worthless compared to real keys. You cant rest your fingers on the buttons to orient and coordinate yourself with haptic feedback, so all it's really telling you is when you hit a button (which you already get visual feedback for)

samsung has been touting haptic phones for a couple of years in korea, i distinctly remember them on offer before I left. Probably means LG had it too.

edit: I don't think haptic tech is particularly useful either for texting. Of course I'm not one of those people who can text and not look at the phone...

Awepittance - I don't think the iPhone is a particularly innovative product, it did what Apple has been doing well since the iPod - took existing technologies, packaged them well, made them easy to use (note - easy to use does not mean that they are limited, it means key features are easy to use) and made them desirable to the general public. Key point being the last one. :)

As far as texting - the fastest texting to date was done using Samsung's "swype" technology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swype#Speed

all haptic feedback means at the moment is that the phone vibrates when you touch something on the screen, at least for most phones.

yes. Imo its pretty worthless compared to real keys. You cant rest your fingers on the buttons to orient and coordinate yourself with haptic feedback, so all it's really telling you is when you hit a button (which you already get visual feedback for)

when it gets to the point where they have a grid of micro-servos under the LCD, it'll be good. and it doesn't even need to be a particularly 'hi-res' grid, really, to implement a qwerty keyboard with realistic feedback. i hate touchscreen keyboards, personally. but then i'd give my left nut for someone to release a wireless IBM model M keyboard with proper sprung keys :)

How was the iphone NOT innovative? You can do a million different tasks on a device that fits in your pocket, from phone calls, to email, to internet surfing, to media consumption, to dedicated apps that did whatever the app makers could dream of. What else was there before the iphone that had all of that? And was as easy to use? Each individual technology might not have been new, but never was it all put together like that. People are way more connected to the internet than ever before. Near instant information at your finger tips. I don't see how you can overlook how big of deal that is.

How was the iphone NOT innovative? You can do a million different tasks on a device that fits in your pocket, from phone calls, to email, to internet surfing, to media consumption, to dedicated apps that did whatever the app makers could dream of. What else was there before the iphone that had all of that? And was as easy to use? Each individual technology might not have been new, but never was it all put together like that. People are way more connected to the internet than ever before. Near instant information at your finger tips. I don't see how you can overlook how big of deal that is.

sony clie + palm pilot + blackberry = iphone

i guess i define the word innovation differently, all of those things you describe to me seem inevitable rather than innovative. I give Apple props for pushing things in that direction, but like i said earler the most innovative product apple did in my mind was one that no one's ever heard of. an extremely daring artist/programmer/musician centric brand new computer platform.

Kcinsu - maybe this was a big deal in the states - but people were browsing the web on their phones, watching TV on their phones, banking on their phones, doing email on their phones etc. in Japan and Korea for a few years before smartphones came along. They were called "feature phones" so I guess that's how they were different?

Now, the browsers on many of those phones were not great, which is where the ease of use feature comes into play - but this is incremental rather than innovative.

tablets arent typing devices. they are gesture devices. the onscreen keyboard does what it needs to. if you need to type a lot, dont get a tablet. or get a bluetooth keyboard.

I see what you all mean, but I think that apple really mainstreamed it all. by some definition that can be innovative. if you dont like that definition, ok.

but i do see a difference in the post iphone world, than before.

i think that's why some people think Android could eventually beat out iphone, if apple is stubborn and refuses to put any sort of realistic feeling or actual keyboard on their devices i don't personally think they can dominate the market forever. Something else like that Samsung (if marketed correctly) Seems to be more efficient for actually communicating via text

tablets arent typing devices. they are gesture devices. the onscreen keyboard does what it needs to. if you need to type a lot, dont get a tablet. or get a bluetooth keyboard.

I see what you all mean, but I think that apple really mainstreamed it all. by some definition that can be innovative. if you dont like that definition, ok.

but i do see a difference in the post iphone world, than before.

there are different types of innovation.

apple generally don't technically innovate, but they sure as hell innovate when it comes to user interface.

remember all those shitty mp3 players that existed before the ipod?

no?

thought not. it's because they were shit.

How was the iphone NOT innovative? You can do a million different tasks on a device that fits in your pocket, from phone calls, to email, to internet surfing, to media consumption, to dedicated apps that did whatever the app makers could dream of. What else was there before the iphone that had all of that?

Symbian handsets. for many years before the iPhone, actually.

technology itself isnt the biggest factor. its the availability of technology to the public in way that they can understand it and use it, is what matters.

damn straight. this is why we'll never see the 'year of linux on the desktop' like a million slashdot readers keep predicting.

apple took linux/unix and made it usable for the joe soap on the street.

agreed. before you can make something, you have to have a concept of it. concepts come before execution. any one can come up with a solid concept... bringing it to life is something else altogether.

technology itself isnt the biggest factor. its the availability of technology to the public in way that they can understand it and use it, is what matters.

damn straight. this is why we'll never see the 'year of linux on the desktop' like a million slashdot readers keep predicting.

apple took linux/unix and made it usable for the joe soap on the street.

Which if you go all the way back up to here...

Which is not how i define innovative, rather, as I said before it's incremental...

As far as texting - the fastest texting to date was done using Samsung's "swype" technology: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swype#Speed

just so you know, Swype isn't Samsung's

it's Swype Inc.

Ah good point.

Was done on a samusng phone using swype technology then :)

lol, total case in point here.

this is me installing a freeBSD virtual machine.

can you imagine what this would be like for someone who didn't grow up with text-based interfaces?

edit: and this is just the start of a fucking endless series of nested menus.

post-106-0-87650600-1297983926_thumb.png

just so you know, Swype isn't Samsung's

it's Swype Inc.

Ah good point.

Was done on a samusng phone using swype technology then :)

Yeah, Swype is pretty cool. i had it on my Nexus One and currently have it on my Nexus S. it is also apparently available on Nokia (lol) phones running Symbian S60 5th Edition here

lol, total case in point here.

this is me installing a freeBSD virtual machine.

can you imagine what this would be like for someone who didn't grow up with text-based interfaces?

edit: and this is just the start of a fucking endless series of nested menus.

Wait - FreeBSD is just a BIOS? lol

This is all beside the point because the internet fucking sucks now. I clicked on the Forbes link, waited through a shitty kinetic typography Microsoft ad, just to see some smug cunt staring back to me and saying basically nothing while begging you to fucking:

FOLLOW ME PLAZ!

SEE THE OTHER SHIT I'VE DONE

TWEET, FACEBOOK, SHARE, MASTURBATE, TELL YOUR FAMILY, RAPE A KID

And, to top it all off, he didn't even have the goddamn pictures that he was talking about--unless I missed it in the middle of all the distracting shit. The web is a dog from hell now.

get adblock and use it. :)

Archived