IGNORED

"Your Favorite Comedy Exists Because of The Larry Sanders Show"

awepittance

larrysanders.jpg

I thought i'd start an appreciation thread for my own favorite comedy, The Larry Sanders Show after reading this below article (i don't know if i necessarily agree with it but it still has most of the information right)

post your favorite clips/moments/memories from Larry Sanders

Your Favorite Comedy Exists Because of The Larry Sanders Show

by Harry Cheadle on March 1st, 2011

This year the IFC channel started showing reruns of The Larry Sanders Show, which will hopefully introduce one of the best, most influential sitcoms of all time to a new generation of bored stoners, Greg the Bunny fans, agoraphobic movie snobs, and whoever else is watching IFC at 11 pm on a Monday. It’s a strange show to watch in syndication, however, and I can picture someone — even a comedy geek who peppers conversations with Mr. Show and Spaced quotes — finishing an episode of Larry Sanders and wondering what the big deal is. So: this is why Larry Sanders is a big deal.

We should start by saying that the HBO-produced The Larry Sanders Show is a workplace comedy, the workplace in question being the late-night talk show called “The Larry Sanders Show.” The main characters are the titular talk show host, played by series creator Garry Shandling as a deeply neurotic, narcissistic, self-loathing train wreck of a man; Larry’s on-air sidekick “Hey Now!” Hank Kingsley (Jeffrey Tambor of Arrested Development fame), who is like Ed McMahon but dumber, angrier, and consumed with a need for approval from Larry; and Arthur the producer (Rip Torn), who keeps the show going by feeding and manipulating Larry’s and Hank’s egos and occasionally losing his temper in short, hilarious bursts.

A behind-the-scenes-of-showbiz comedy isn’t anything special; the reason Larry Sanders deserves singling out is the attention Shandling and the other producers paid to making the show realistic. The scenes where Larry stands in front of the talk-show cameras were shot on video while the “off air” scenes with the talk show’s staff were shot on film. And where a lot of entries in the “behind the scenes” genres don’t pay attention to the specifics of the front of the scenes — is 30 Rock still about a television show? — the “Larry Sanders Show” that we see glimpses of in The Larry Sanders Show is a pretty good mock-up of a (not all that successful) network talk show in the 90s. The jokes are topical, hey-didja-hear-about-this one-liners, and the guests are real celebrities from the 90s, playing themselves.

This realism means that the show dates itself, sometimes pretty severely. Remember Mimi Rogers or Bobcat Goldthwait or Bruno Kirby? No? How about some jokes about OJ Simpson or Connie Chung? Even the idea of a talk show seems pretty old and lame to us in 2011; it’s easy to forget that 50 million people watched Johnny Carson’s last show, which aired only months before Larry Sanders premiered in 1992, and that the ratings wars between Leno and Letterman and Arsenio (who was that?) got a whole lot of coverage in the newspapers (what were those?). Some episodes, like the one where Dana Carvey appears as the next hot young comedian destined for talk-show stardom, take Wikipedia to put in the correct context.

The show’s commitment to realism extends to the way scenes were written, acted, and filmed, and this is where it’s important to remember that this is a sitcom that was made in the early- to mid-90s. Larry Sanders doesn’t have a laugh track or a live studio audience (except during the talk show scenes (more realism!) and the jokes are delivered casually in conversation, with no “beat” or pause to signal a punchline. That style sounds familiar to fans of Arrested Development or Curb Your Enthusiasm, but in 1992 no one was doing this. Sitcoms — even critically beloved Seinfeld — were slowed down by the need to pause for laughter, and most took place in the familiar timeless sitcom universe, bounded by the traditional three cameras. Larry Sanders wasn’t the first single-camera sitcom, but it was one of the first to do away with audible laughs, which gave them more time to cram in jokes and plots.

What this means is, when you watch an episode of Larry Sanders, you really have to pay attention. For years, sitcoms — and TV in general — seemed designed to be the kind of thing you could eat or have a conversation over. A show like Sanford and Son (where Garry Shandling got his start, incidentally) is great, but it’s not something you need to devote yourself to — in fact, if you watch some of those old sitcoms really closely, you’ll discover that there is very little you won’t miss if you are simultaneously checking your email or peeling carrots. The Larry Sanders Show requires careful viewing, it requires a knowledge of what’s happened in earlier scenes, and sometimes it requires you to know things about earlier episodes or 90s pop culture. It’s as complex as a half-hour comedy show can get, and it appeared at a time when television was afraid of complexity. Remember, when Larry Sanders started, Homicide: Life on the Street, the primordial ancestor of The Wire, was a year away. The current golden age of television we’re living in started with the idea that television could demand just as much from its viewers as a movie, and that idea began, arguably, with Larry Sanders.

The direct influence of the people behind the show probably deserves a mention too. Judd Apatow was a producer and a writer on Larry Sanders, and I always though that this scene from Freaks and Geeks paid homage to his old boss. Paul Simms, another writer, created NewsRadio, a brilliant show that’s practically the stylistic opposite of Larry Sanders. Sarah Silverman appeared for a few episodes as a writer for “The Larry Sanders Show,” including one that tackles the still-relevant issue of the lack of women in comedy writing rooms. A pre-Mr. Show Bob Odenkirk had a recurring role as Larry’s agent, Dave Chapelle appears as himself for an episode, and Jon Stewart plays himself too, as Larry’s replacement and the next big thing in the talk show world. Then there’s the young Janeane Garofalo who plays the show’s talent booker, and I know there’s a whole group of people who will watch the show just for a young Janeane Garofalo.

But all that trivia is just window dressing. Like any great show, Larry Sanders is more than just a combination of funny people who worked on other funny things. It was a new kind of sitcom, a sitcom that trusted its viewers to figure out the punchlines on their own. Shows as diverse as Arrested Development, Community, and the British Office owe something to The Larry Sanders Show. It went off the air in 1998 after six amazingly consistent seasons — unlike all those unjustly-cancelled shows it influenced — and Shandling hasn’t done much work since, probably because he didn’t need to.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

lolz great clips.

Hank is truly one of the most well-developed characters in tv history. They just nailed the incredibly obnoxious, craven, but-you-still-have-to-empathize asshole waaaay before David Brent was a glimmer in Gervais' eye. And the celebrities as distorted versions of themselves laid the groundwork for curb and extras.

What a great show! Also glad Netflix put it on instant streaming too!

ive watched the first three eps. so far, and they are pretty damn funny...its dated but it like that review says, it doesnt suffer too much..and in fact its kind of charming.

Guest Adjective

my favorite show

alright i up'd these for the thread, hope youtube doesn't ban me

season 2 ep 6

"well done"

EDIT: shit.. audio was off, scratch this one, but that episode.. when they are doing the promos and maintaining a conversation inbetween.. good stuff

season 1 ep 12

i like most scenes where hank gets emotional. hank is such a great character because one moment you completely sympathize with him and you wonder how everyone on the show can be so mean to him, and then he shows you why.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ran-LWheWJ4

many of my favorite moments are hard to recall because they are just one liners with no memorable context. i'll be watching an episode and i hear that line i had forgotten and i'm almost tempted to write down the episode number and keep some kind of best of list, but there's just too many.

this one is a spoiler / climax of an episode so be warned

Guest HerculesCzar

Easily a top five show for me. Rip Torn is absolutely brilliant as Artie. I'm always surprised at how hard it is to get people into this show.

my favorite show

season 1 ep 12

i like most scenes where hank gets emotional. hank is such a great character because one moment you completely sympathize with him and you wonder how everyone on the show can be so mean to him, and then he shows you why.

many of my favorite moments are hard to recall because they are just one liners with no memorable context. i'll be watching an episode and i hear that line i had forgotten and i'm almost tempted to write down the episode number and keep some kind of best of list, but there's just too many.

this one is a spoiler / climax of an episode so be warned

:emotawesomepm9:

glad to see the show is loved around here, Jeffer Tambor/Hank, and i'm don't think i'm overstating this, is one of the most amazing actors i've ever seen. Those scenes you posted are great examples.

I just finished watching the Hankserciser episode, he breaks down and apologizes to francine about injuring her and goddam if it's not one of the most heart wrenching comedic performances i've ever seen

edit: thanks for uploading those clips.

Unfortunately the whole thing is not on youtube but has anybody here seen the extremely uncomfortable or perhaps staged(?) interview between Gervais and Shandling from around 2006?

ill post a highlights clip i found on youtube here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LljWm8umGIE

the full thing (parts 2-5 are linked on the side)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrg89rvtZ1k&feature=related

in the long version of the interview Shandling almost seems to shed a tear about his own personal investment into the Larry Sanders show. He goes off on some interesting tangent about how each episode is some kind of buddhist parable about competing egos. I found that to be an interesting take on the show, even though it can be seen as pretentious . The interview gives me the impression he's either a tortured soul or just a genius at awkward improvised comedy, or possibly a mixture of both

me neither! lol sirch, me and you are so similar.

if you mean LArry Sanders he is a fictional character being played by Gary Shandling. Maybe you've heard of him, he gets bit parts in movies like Iron Man 2. i might have just responded to joke response, whoops

i got up to say "holy shit there's frank black's wife!"

haha, *jumps up for a millenium high-five* i wish she was a better actress, her chops don't help either show

ive watched the first three eps. so far, and they are pretty damn funny...its dated but it like that review says, it doesnt suffer too much..and in fact its kind of charming.

right? even the episode where they are all glued to the tv in the office watching the OJ trial is good. It also has dated 'hot' comedians at the time doing early roles which is pretty cool. Jeremy Piven before he was a total douche plays a pre hairplug bad comedy writer, Sarah Silverman, Bob Odenkirk, Janine Garofalo, Scott Thompson (kids in the hall), Mary Lynn Rajskub (mr. show, magnolia punch drunk love) all play great characters. The Stevie character played by Odenkirk is very similar to the role he later plays on Breaking Bad.

Guest sirch

me neither! lol sirch, me and you are so similar.

if you mean LArry Sanders he is a fictional character being played by Gary Shandling. Maybe you've heard of him, he gets bit parts in movies like Iron Man 2. i might have just responded to joke response, whoops

i think you did! lol

ps. Iron Man : awfull (bad) films

Guest sirch

i saw that programme (^^ above) when it went out on UK tv. have to say i didn't think the American guy was funny at all. and Gervais was just gushing over him the whole time while he took the piss out of him, lol..

ps. BCM you're now on 'ignore', ok fellaaaaaaaaaaa.......! have a nice life! kiss kiss. edit: no smiley face

haha, *jumps up for a millenium high-five* i wish she was a better actress, her chops don't help either show

I agree, she's not that great. Not a BAD actress, but very mediocre. Shandling probably had a crush on her when they were casting.

An aside: The reason why I never previously gave this show a chance is because I really hated Shangling's face. Very unfair on my behalf, and I would have gotten to enjoy a few of the seasons when they 1st aired had I not judged him purely on that toothy, sarcastic grin. grin. After 3 episodes I don't even hate his face anymore.

I agree, she's not that great. Not a BAD actress, but very mediocre. Shandling probably had a crush on her when they were casting.

An aside: The reason why I never previously gave this show a chance is because I really hated Shangling's face. Very unfair on my behalf, and I would have gotten to enjoy a few of the seasons when they 1st aired had I not judged him purely on that toothy, sarcastic grin. grin. After 3 episodes I don't even hate his face anymore.

not too far off. Darlene was an entire invention just because Shandling was doing Ms. Doucett. :spiteful:

Archived