IGNORED

"Your Favorite Comedy Exists Because of The Larry Sanders Show"

awepittance

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

correct, but Dr Lopez just kind of blew my mind, i had no idea that Darlene was that woman. I've heard her real name before numerous times including in the lawsuit that Gary and her brought to Brad Grey, one of the HBO producers of the show.

Gary Shandling is an enigma to me, especially after seeing that GErvais interivew

Guest Adjective

you should check out his conversations with other people. i think there's a set of them, maybe from one of the dvds. there's one where he spars with alec baldwin and they converse and another where he plays a little basketball with duchovny. he seems really into capturing honest moments or the illusion of, in his projects.

you should check out his conversations with other people. i think there's a set of them, maybe from one of the dvds. there's one where he spars with alec baldwin and they converse and another where he plays a little basketball with duchovny. he seems really into capturing honest moments or the illusion of, in his projects.

larry david too

also:

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/humor/201008/comedy-issue/comedy-issue-garry-shandling?currentPage=1

Guest Adjective

larry david too

also:

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/humor/201008/comedy-issue/comedy-issue-garry-shandling?currentPage=1

i meant to say it was garry shandling having conversations with people while doing sporty things

do you mean garry talks with larry david? or gervais? i've seen the gervais one, and if there's a garry and larry together i'd love to see that

my internets tell me that garry did one on ones with:

• Alec Baldwin

• Ellen DeGeneres

• David Duchovny

• Tom Petty

• Jerry Seinfeld

• Sharon Stone

• Jon Stewart

• Carol Burnett

on the "not just the best of" dvd

• Alec Baldwin

• Ellen DeGeneres

• David Duchovny

• Tom Petty

• Jerry Seinfeld

• Sharon Stone

• Jon Stewart

• Carol Burnett

on the "not just the best of" dvd

o nhice, i only saw 3 of those

(sienfeld, baldwin, duchovny) and they were all kind of on the same uncomedic vibe as the gervais interview but not as hostile.

I'd love to see the jon stewart one, i'm going to look it up on youtube. By the 6th season the way they tied in jon stewart was fing genius

Holy shit I just watched the Ricky Gervais Gary Shandling interview - the scene when they'r etalking about uncomfortable humour and Shandling doesn't get Ricky any coffee was fucking brilliant.

the comments are a big facepalm as always with youtube comments. Bunch of fucking idiots who can't see past the current popular comedian - not to say that Gervais isn't funny but fuck me Shandling is amazing.

damn, im gonna have to watch a couple this weekend seeing as im ahead of schedule on research and only have a 4 pager due tuesday.

Holy shit I just watched the Ricky Gervais Gary Shandling interview - the scene when they'r etalking about uncomfortable humour and Shandling doesn't get Ricky any coffee was fucking brilliant.

the comments are a big facepalm as always with youtube comments. Bunch of fucking idiots who can't see past the current popular comedian - not to say that Gervais isn't funny but fuck me Shandling is amazing.

what is your take on exactly what's happening in the interview? If it's a rehearsed comedy bit, it exceeds almost any attempt i've seen at staging a realistic awkward interaction

Guest hahathhat

"Your Favorite Comedy Exists Because of The Larry Sanders Show"

:cerious:

Your "Favorite" Comedy Exists Because of The Larry Sanders Show

:cisfor:

what is your take on exactly what's happening in the interview? If it's a rehearsed comedy bit, it exceeds almost any attempt i've seen at staging a realistic awkward interaction

I wouldn't say it's rehearsed per se, but it's obvious that both of them are on. To me it's like they agreed beforehand to do an almost unscripted episode of something similar to The Larry Sanders Show, with Gervais playing a Hank-like character. It's brilliant comedy.

Guest Adjective

I wouldn't say it's rehearsed per se, but it's obvious that both of them are on. To me it's like they agreed beforehand to do an almost unscripted episode of something similar to The Larry Sanders Show, with Gervais playing a Hank-like character. It's brilliant comedy.

While completing the DVD extras for Sanders, Shandling had been struck by the idea that Gervais would be a great addition. Though he'd never appeared on the show, Gervais had spoken openly about how Sanders inspired him. So Garry called Gervais and asked if he'd do it. The answer was yes, but Gervais also had a request. While he was in Garry's home, could they also shoot his Channel 4 show? Shandling agreed, and all was well until the day of the dueling interviews, when wires got crossed. Garry says he assumed they would shoot the "visit" for the DVD extra first, because "that laid-back, not-on tone is good preparation for saying, 'Let's turn it on'" later, for Gervais's special.

But when Shandling walked into his kitchen, he realized instantly that Gervais thought the Channel 4 special was being shot first. Gervais was on—extremely so—and so were several cameras. Garry could have said something but wanted to see what would happen if he played it out. What if he stayed in the same low-affect head space he was in to do his DVD extras? Could he reach Gervais without explicitly identifying the problem? Could he bring Gervais's energy level down?

"It's fascinating, really," Garry tells me. "We both became locked into the shows we were each doing, and it became a bit of a boxing match. Because he's trying to get me to do the show that he needs, and I'm trying to get him to do nothing. I was trying to pull Ricky into the moment."

A great boxer makes his opponent fight his fight, on his terms. A great stand-up takes control of a room. There's a reason comics say their best shows "killed." Making people laugh is, at its simplest, an act of domination. And Shandling dominated Gervais. I tell Garry their interaction looks more hostile than he will admit. He offers me an organic-turkey sandwich. "A lot of funny people have a way of looking at life and commenting on it," he says. "Now, there's another leap to take, which is: Are those funny people actually integrating their life into their work? I still search for ways to put it. It's living art. I see it as living life as an art. And part of that's the comedy, and part of that's the acting, and part of that's the basketball, and part of that's the boxing."

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/humor/201008/comedy-issue/comedy-issue-garry-shandling#ixzz1Fhyxj52I

Guest Dirty Protest

Much as I like Gary Shandling, the piece seems to have conveniently omitted Christopher Guest to make a point.

almsot done the first season...my favorite character by far is Rip Torn's.

"Here...have a Salty Dog....Drink it you pussy!"

almsot done the first season...my favorite character by far is Rip Torn's.

"Here...have a Salty Dog....Drink it you pussy!"

Oh man, me too. He really did a great job. I'm about 1/2-way through season two now.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Iain C

I used to love the Larry Sanders show when it was on the Paramount comedy channel back in the late 90s/early 00s. this thread inspired me to watch it online and it's still as funny as it ever was. i have a link if anyone wants it.

I used to love the Larry Sanders show when it was on the Paramount comedy channel back in the late 90s/early 00s. this thread inspired me to watch it online and it's still as funny as it ever was. i have a link if anyone wants it.

I sir, am interested, i intend to send the link to all my friends, thank you.

Im about half way through series 2 and iam deeply in love with the show. rip torn and hank are just amazing, i just finished the episode where hank launches his restaurant and sleeps through the opening night. "hank, its 9.30am, we've been looking for your all night"

the show made want to re watch arrested development, so now i watch one episode of larry sanders then ad then sanders etc, its ACE.

looks real different.

im convinced now that Artie is in the top 10 pantheon of greatest TV characters of all time. the guy's ability to switch from ass kissing to shit talking is amazing.

Archived