IGNORED

How did V/Vm make his remixes?

this is something i've been wondering for a while. how did V/Vm make his strangely pitched "remixes"?

as a reminder, a few examples:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0ofp0a-Qwk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0lkXUew6CE&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0FHn4VsU6Y

which plugin did he use? what's the trick?

thanks in advance!

Guest hahathhat

sounds like a ring mod, or some variant of a ring mod. lots of plugins will do this.... try the one that comes with your DAW, and maybe PiWarp

Guest ryanmcallister

ugghhhhh... just... awful...

i'd dig it if he did more along the lines of a remix than just stick one effect on it and call it a day.

is this guys whole career based around this technique?

lol. thank god no.

well, the first track was a bad example because it definitely sounds like ring modulation, now that you pointed it. i'm very curious about the 2 other ones since i don't see how you could obtain such effect with ring mod. keep the answers coming!

is this guys whole career based around this technique?

lol. thank god no.

well, the first track was a bad example because it definitely sounds like ring modulation, now that you pointed it. i'm very curious about the 2 other ones since i don't see how you could obtain such effect with ring mod. keep the answers coming!

it's ring modulation

ok, i've just tried ring mod on said tracks (the originals), and it works more or less. i have to practice a bit.

@ cryptowen: pitch shifter - oh yeah, maybe he used that too! i don't know what FFT is though.

actually, just by transposing the track to a lower key, and using a ring mod, you kinda obtain the same effect.

but that's not quite it. the trick he uses is a bit different. doesn't this guy post on watmm by the way?

my friend asked this a long time ago at a festival, and he told him he had a machine he made called the 'sick love machine' that he used to process all the songs with.. not sure if he was serious, but pretty funny anyhow.

Frequency shifting, not pitch shifting. The difference is that pitch moves things up and down in pitch while preserving the frequency ratio, so the music will just sound, for example, an octave higher, or a note or more higher or lower.

Frequency shifting moves all the frequencies down or up by the same amount which doesn't preserve the regular musical ratio between frequencies, so it starts to sound unusual and V/VM-ish, it is a similar sound to ring modulation, same technique I think.

Modcan have an example of Neil Young being frequency shifted here which sounds like a V/VM remix:

http://www.modcan.com/samples/fs/neal%20young.mp3

Frequency shifting, not pitch shifting. The difference is that pitch moves things up and down in pitch while preserving the frequency ratio, so the music will just sound, for example, an octave higher, or a note or more higher or lower.

Frequency shifting moves all the frequencies down or up by the same amount which doesn't preserve the regular musical ratio between frequencies, so it starts to sound unusual and V/VM-ish, it is a similar sound to ring modulation, same technique I think.

Modcan have an example of Neil Young being frequency shifted here which sounds like a V/VM remix:

http://www.modcan.com/samples/fs/neal%20young.mp3

the vocals sound in part like the distorted second part of the music and words interview by richard d james:

Guest MrSparkle666

Ring modulation and frequency shifting are the same process. The difference is that with frequency shifting you just remove one of the two sidebands produced by ring modulation. So, it's like one half of a ring modulated signal. That's not what V/Vm is doing.

Archived