IGNORED

The Book of Mormon

essines

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well yeah, perhaps the scilons ARE what the mormons ORIGINALLY ENVISIONED back in the day, i guess, sorta. they're a thoroughly modern religionscam. just with a whole load of pseudo-self-help bullshit piled on top like cheese at a taco bell. in a way i'm annoyed with the chanology dudes (no point associating them with 4chan at this point, they're a totally separate entity now) - they took something that initially showed real promise and turned it into a teen moralfag circlejerk.

well yeah, perhaps the scilons ARE what the mormons ORIGINALLY ENVISIONED back in the day, i guess, sorta. they're a thoroughly modern religionscam. just with a whole load of pseudo-self-help bullshit piled on top like cheese at a taco bell. in a way i'm annoyed with the chanology dudes (no point associating them with 4chan at this point, they're a totally separate entity now) - they took something that initially showed real promise and turned it into a teen moralfag circlejerk.

Completely agree with the the chanology comments.

Guest disparaissant

oh deary me

after my dad found out i was, in his words, "engaged in homosexual activities," he sent me this wonderful little nugget of joy

yeah i mean their stance is quite literally "if you're gay, that's a-okay! but if you EVER have gay sex of ANY kind, you are DOOMED. oh and you'll spend all of eternity celibate because there's no gay sex up in heaven. but hey, at least we don't hate you. *spends millions backing prop 8."

that last bit is what i really don't understand. mormons have their own marriage ceremony that only the devout kids can get. like, to get temple married, if you're a guy you have to have served a mission. no real exceptions i guess unless you are an older convert? in any case, their marriage ceremony is supposedly eternal, you are married for "time and all eternity" (sounds awful tbh) and they don't really take non-mormon marriages all that seriously, so what is it to them if gay people get "temporary" marriages until death do them part? it doesn't affect them one bit!

• 2 years later...

Finally saw this, anniversary gift from my wife. Totally worth the wait! My face hurt from laughing and smiling so much. It seems irrelevant whether you're a fan of musicals or not. The current cast on tour was great as well.

I have my ticket for next month in Orlando. It's rare to find anything at all worth leaving your house for in Florida so I'm pretty excited. I read that at some showings there were mormons handing out their book outside the venue and getting a lot of positive response. Obviously people are taking a copy as a souvenir of the show but I can only think the hope is that some day, in an hour of desperation somebody will flick through it and begin to take it seriously. It's a funny thing.

Saw Book of Mormon in London last week- absolutely brilliant, and more though provoking than you might expect, in the way it deals with people's preconceptions about africa.

Archived