IGNORED

NPR big ups IDM in the 1st couple paragraphs

eh Speedy

"The British started raving before Americans did, but they got the idea in Ibiza. In the summer of 1987, a quartet of English DJs..."

British influence: check

"...says Richie Hawtin, who as Plastikman was an early rave icon."

Warp artist: check

Sorry man that's a huge fail backfire.

"The British started raving before Americans did, but they got the idea in Ibiza. In the summer of 1987, a quartet of English DJs..."

British influence: check

"...says Richie Hawtin, who as Plastikman was an early rave icon."

Warp artist: check

Sorry man that's a huge fail backfire.

Bah, I skimmed the article. My fault.

Hawtin is about as much as a WARP artist as I think !!! is. Zing! :emotawesomepm9:

Great article. I was still pretty young when all of that was going on. When I was on Prodigy [1990ish], I just played Madlib games and Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego...

By the time I was able to drive to any raves, they were on their way out. And also played a lot of shitty trance music. Every once in a while there would be dnb, though.

Guest hahathhat

i heard fatboy slim on the radio in the 90s and started writing music a couple months later. never really been to one of these magic old-skool raves though.

i would kill to experience a night of Experience played loud with drugged up fucktards surrounding. the closest i've gotten yet was this warehouse rendezvous against the police. it was one hell of a night but there wasn't any old school rave music to be heard. mostly just really good techno

By the time i got to a "rave" it was '97 and it had pretty much become a big gated-in money grab. Not much really awesome or illegal. eDIT, Eight Frozen Modules and some of those LA guys did put on a really nice thing out in the sandstone hills over looking the Mojave Desert though one night which was really rad, and that got rolled on by BLM, but so worth it. Asymmetrical and Mike Haggar will remember that night. And it was such a chill out moment when the cops let us all go and we're cruising back out of the hills on to the desert highway w/ the sun coming up. I'm glad i got to see at least one such event.

By the time i got to a "rave" it was '97 and it had pretty much become a big gated-in money grab. Not much really awesome or illegal. eDIT, Eight Frozen Modules and some of those LA guys did put on a really nice thing out in the sandstone hills over looking the Mojave Desert though one night which was really rad, and that got rolled on by BLM, but so worth it. Asymmetrical and Mike Haggar will remember that night. And it was such a chill out moment when the cops let us all go and we're cruising back out of the hills on to the desert highway w/ the sun coming up. I'm glad i got to see at least one such event.

I didn't get to do my set that night! I didn't get home till like 11 am or something!

Guest Greg Reason

IDM was coined by Allen M. Perry the guy who started the IDM list, i always thought.

I thought it was first used in a review of The Snow by Coil?

Archived