IGNORED

Oval - OvalDNA

Guest Adam

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

came today, am very impressed. it will take a while for me to absorb all this information. Disc 2 is loaded with thousands of AIFF sound fragments he has used on his records.

it came with a download code for the ovaldna software from the pic in post 14, but i don't see where to download it on the shitkatapult webstore.

I got mine from Bleep last week. I love the bonus tracks.

Software isn't ready yet. And got this in a newsletter a few days ago:

Note1: due to technical difficulties during the production process of the cd/dvd the physical release

has to be pushed back to 13 january 2012. we're sorry.

oh weird this came out on Shitkatapult? im surprised not thrill jockey. Even popps lesser known side projects are mostly released on thrill jockey. i wonder what happened

idk but I read somewhere (don't remember where) that it was actually supposed to be released before his 2010 stuff (O, oh, etc.) as sort of "conclusion" to the old Oval, but apparently there were some problems and it got delayed until now.

• 3 months later...

It's a great snapshot of Oval's entire career. I've really enjoyed listening to this.

Oval's one of the few artists I never get tired of listening to

i wonder why he hasn't just come out and said that he primarily uses physical modeling synthesis now? does he think that it's a secret? Would be great to see an interview with him where he just comes clean about his actual process instead of obscuring it in mythical sounding stories like ' i used a really old windows pc with old software to make this'

I don't think that's what he's saying anymore. I think he's saying now, “I deliberately used the same tools as everyone else on this album.”

I mean BFD and stuff, it's all very meta and purposefully innocuous. I think that's the whole point.

EDIT: anyway I like this album so far. Just finishing up my first listen now. Haven't checked out the DVD yet. Apparently 30th April is OvalDNA software day, which is exciting! The app looks fairly bonkers. MP seems to be a classy dude.

Guest spike

after his performance at Decibel Festival last year he had a little q/a with a handful of oval nerds, it was cute to see him surrounded by them/us. he was very nice and got into detail about some totally obscure doom/goth/death metal bands he listens to on his leisure time.

i wonder why he hasn't just come out and said that he primarily uses physical modeling synthesis now? does he think that it's a secret? Would be great to see an interview with him where he just comes clean about his actual process instead of obscuring it in mythical sounding stories like ' i used a really old windows pc with old software to make this'

It seems pretty clear that physical modelling is what he is doing. In the interview in the video below, you see his studio at about 5:20 or so. he pulls out a guitar and strums it for a minute. Is it a joke? Because the sounds are not like those you hear on his album

http://vimeo.com/25771091

facial expressions guy

lol

Hahahahaha… oh.

I see what you mean. Yeah, this is somewhat confusing. Anyway, I got it to start downloading by basically going all the way to the checkout page with a 10,000 euro order and then entering the code there.

Reading the docs now. Apparently this is one of those compiled Max MSP apps.

Okay, I could not unzip the Mac version of the application using the standard OS X unzip utility. However, I was able to unzip it from Terminal using “unzip”. I then had to clean up after the unzip because of all the ugly resource-fork related crap it spewed everywhere, but NOW I have a seemingly working version of the app on my laptop. I have Lion btw.

The app is very silly looking and I have no idea what I'm doing. This is gonna be fun.

Great documentary featurette on DVD, and for the nerds, there is a brief glimpse of what I assume is “the” PM VSTi he is using. I didn't recognize it.

• 2 weeks later...

i'm playing with the software now. after more than a decade of ovalprocess listening i feel like being a stevie ray vaughan fan holding a guitar for the first time ah ah ah.

Archived