IGNORED

just ordered a kebab

BCM

never understood why people choose chicken over lamb. sacrilege.

I had a really terrible lamb kebab on Friday night. So dry.

Though to be honest I've been spoiled (in terms of drunken food anyway) by a place near where I usually hang out on Friday nights that does amazing gozleme.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6zleme

So satisfying after a few pints!

yeah there's a lebanese place near me that does awesome shawarma and shish, but I wanted something more dirty, hence the chicken donner...I nearly went the whole nine yards and had lamb donner but I stopped myself just in time.

chicken donner feels dirtier to me. say if it is actually machine removed meat.. machine removed chicken is the worst cause all the chicken remains get in there, cause they're so brittle and no fat. i don't know if that's true or not but i've knowingly had M.R.Pork (tastes of pork fat, lamb would be similar i reckon) and M.R.Chicken and the chicken tasted like continually chewing on chicken cartilage, but soft.

Guest rumbo

I lived in the Netherlands for 12 months. The most important phrase I ever learned was, "Een broodje doner, met knoflook en sambal, alstjeblieft."

Guest rumbo

Though to be honest I've been spoiled (in terms of drunken food anyway) by a place near where I usually hang out on Friday nights that does amazing gozleme.

There's a place on Brunswick called the Kebab King (I think) that does pretty good Doners. There's another joint across the road that is open all night and does a good one too, but are a bit pricier. If you show up there at 3 or 4 am its like you've rocked up to a Taxi Drivers convention.

I've recently stopped eating donners after a night out and moved onto falafel wraps. Writing that though, I'm so disappointed with myself. I've changed

Proper kebabs can be well decent, yeah it's basically got to be shish all the way. However if you're establishment of choice is called something like Abra Kebabra then you're on to a losing call. Friendly staff are also a must; a decent greeting of "YES BOSS" when you reach the counter is essential

Guest sirch

the lamb shish, to me, always looks rank and is usually in a tray full of old blood.

also, i like little lambs... and i don't like to think of them being be slaughtered. same with pigs.

i couldn't give a fuck about a chicken, tho. or a lesser spotted donner.

Guest sirch

There's a place on Brunswick called the Kebab King (I think) that does pretty good Doners. There's another joint across the road that is open all night and does a good one too, but are a bit pricier. If you show up there at 3 or 4 am its like you've rocked up to a Taxi Drivers convention.

lol, yeah i know what you mean. there's one down here that's just like that. open til 3 am. turn up around half 2 during the week and it's full of cabbies all munching on their kebabs and having a cup of tea. usually there's a fight going on out in the street, too... or some pissed up slapper screaming her head off. so yeah the entertainment is pretty good while you're waiting for your munch!

the lamb shish, to me, always looks rank and is usually in a tray full of old blood.

also, i like little lambs... and i don't like to think of them being be slaughtered. same with pigs.

i couldn't give a fuck about a chicken, tho. or a lesser spotted donner.

the shish kebab i'd have in a little village in devon was local lamb and they'd butcher it there.. like, once i ordered it when it was just delivered by ze farmer and they'd run out of the prepared stuff. so it wasn't marinated, but it didn't matter, it was fucking good.

Guest rumbo

I think a chicken doner is "safe" to me. It's harder to fuck up cooked chicken than beef or lamb. But when you're full of piss it doesn't really matter.

Ah, the place I mentioned is on Smith St near the corner of Gertrude. I don't think I can go anywhere else for drunken food anymore!

Archived