IGNORED

spider making his bed

Guest rumbo

I can't tell if it's making its bed, or trying to hide itself instinctively so it can horrendously destroy something beautiful.

Either way, I giggled at how cute it was.

I regret saying I hate spiders. I have a bit of a fear of them, but am also very fascinated by them.

Chassis, is that the sunlight scattering through his legs? Looks pretty cool

Cool vid.

I've always wondered. Why do spiders move in short bursts like that? Most insects have it too but less extreme. Is it to contemplate their next action; is it because they have a weird nervous system; do they need rest after moving so fast every time; or does it just limit the chance of being spotted?

fuck spiders

fuuuuck

spiiideeers

here's my favourite insect, the tarantula hawk

800px-Tarantula_Hawk_in_Quito%2C_Ecuador.jpg

The female tarantula hawk captures, stings, and paralyzes the spider, then either drags her prey back into her own burrow or transports it to a specially prepared nest, where a single egg is laid on the spider’s body, and the entrance is covered. When the wasp larva hatches, it rips a small hole in the spider's abdomen, then plunges into the spider's belly and feeds voraciously, avoiding vital organs for as long as possible to keep it fresh. After several weeks, the larva pupates. Finally, the wasp becomes an adult, and tears open the spider's belly to get out.

spiders are assholes.

data - spiders catch and eat flies and other annoying insects, most of them are harmless to us and they're pretty easy to avoid.

And tell me this spider is not IDM - he uses quartz to help catch his prey!

http://videos.howstuffworks.com/animal-planet/28862-buggin-with-ruud-the-corolla-spider-video.htm

original vid - pretty cool. wonder what kind of spider that is.

Amazing adaptive skills ^^

The spider in the original vid is a 6 eyed sand spider. And yes, this is how it catches prey. I like to think he is making his bed though.

In Australia, spiders seek retribution when your kill one of their brethren. Some spiders even shoot spiders at you, which explode into many more smaller spiders.

6 eyed sand spider is one of the most venomous spiders in the world, possibly the most venomous (see Sicarius Hahni). luckily they are not at all widespread, shy and not aggressive.

Guest Coalbucket PI

In Australia, spiders seek retribution when your kill one of their brethren. Some spiders even shoot spiders at you, which explode into many more smaller spiders.

I heard that some spiders cooperate to exact their revenge. Some species are able to form a convincing teacup formation which they position in a kettle-adjacent manner, and simply wait for the victim to make a cup of tea in them. Most of the spiders are killed by the boiling water but it is a worthwhile sacrifice to ruin the cup of tea which is likely to have hardly brewed at all and simply slopped out onto the counter in a puddle of dead spiders and a limp, seeping teabag.

I heard that some spiders cooperate to exact their revenge. Some species are able to form a convincing teacup formation which they position in a kettle-adjacent manner, and simply wait for the victim to make a cup of tea in them. Most of the spiders are killed by the boiling water but it is a worthwhile sacrifice to ruin the cup of tea which is likely to have hardly brewed at all and simply slopped out onto the counter in a puddle of dead spiders and a limp, seeping teabag.

In primary school, we had some kind of recipe day, where we all make cookies or some simple edible treats. You bring your own ingredients, which I still think was a bit weird. My mum set up all my ingredients at home and packaged them, and off to school I went. When I was preparing all of my ingredients, I emptied a plastic milk shaker that mum filled with milk, and there was a dead spider in it. My teacher told me it would add flavour. She was full of shit. This was suicide retribution, and ruined my day.

Cool vid.

I've always wondered. Why do spiders move in short bursts like that? Most insects have it too but less extreme. Is it to contemplate their next action; is it because they have a weird nervous system; do they need rest after moving so fast every time; or does it just limit the chance of being spotted?

We learned that birds are 'jerky' due to a lack of cortex dedicated to refinement of movement. If you imagine movement to be like sampling, lower volume of cortex is akin to lower sampling rates and thus, less fidelity or in this case, less fluidity.

Guest Coalbucket PI

When they dart from under the sofa to under the TV and just dodge my boot it seems like a fairly wise way of getting about. Those sort of spiders I see in the house always sprint, I've never seen one do a hater's gonna hate strut although the thought alone is delightful. Tarantulas always walk so slow you wonder if they are retarded.

When they dart from under the sofa to under the TV and just dodge my boot it seems like a fairly wise way of getting about. Those sort of spiders I see in the house always sprint, I've never seen one do a hater's gonna hate strut although the thought alone is delightful. Tarantulas always walk so slow you wonder if they are retarded.

And then any human who sees a tarantula runs like a little bitch and the tarantula has to assume humans are fucking stupid.

Archived