IGNORED

Dark Souls

Joyrex

True enough, in DsS you had to cheese bosses very often, I don't really look at this game any differently. Its tough to say how the developers intended us to defeat the bosses. I've seen people call summoning phantoms cheap, yet they put a soul stone infront of O&S's gray fog wall. Until they patch it so you can't do something I am going to assume its ok. On a side note, From Software is putting out a patch soon and so far the only things they appear to be addressing are related to PVP (ring of fog and tranquil walk of peace), except for parameter modified weapons will be getting a boast.

I think your path sounds right, I completely forgot about the painted world as I skipped it the first time I saw the painting. I went to Demon Ruins first after O&S and got destroyed by basically everything. I even got eggheaded and had to find a cure.

Catacombs was much easier because I had a +5 divine scythe, but now that I'm about a mile down into the earth, I wish I addressed this area later. You are smart in getting that helmet, as whenever I find my way in the dark to the lantern, I'm going to have to give up on my precious shield until I get to Nito. So far I can't even make it to the first bonfire because Tomb of Giants has way too many places you can fall and huge skeletons that gang up on you with archers using magic arrows. Its a nightmare. I'd lordvessel my way out of here, but I really don't want to walk through catacombs all over again.

Glad to hear that scaling will be addressed soon. At this point there's not much use in using anything other than my lightning spear +5, and I don't see my Quelaag's Furysword catching up for some time. I've actually run through the catacombs once already... Pinwheel was the most laughable fight in the game thus far... and man I can't believe you skipped painted world! It's by far my favourite area in the game. For some reason it's just gorgeous to me... probably has something to do with all the white. It's a nice change in colour palette.

I had no idea the helmet had a use lol, I was gonna trade it to snuggly for the old witch's ring so i could talk to the chaos witch... nice to know it'll have a use though. Not looking forward to tomb of the giants...

• Replies 483
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We probably should have just made a Dark Souls thread. I have a ton to say about this game but I fear I'm completely messing up this thread. I keep trying to put Dark Souls down but it just won't let me. I have to beat this game at least once. I'm SL 55.

I escaped the Tomb of the Giants so that I could do some co-op with a buddy. After trial and error we eventually figured out how to do it. If anyone is curious I can elaborate how its done, but From has said they are fixing some portion of online in their next patch.

Demon Ruins defeated me the last time I tried to go there so I'm skipping it for now. Tomb of Giants defeated me, because I found the Skull Lantern going against all my instincts of using L1 to block, not to mention the enemies in here are ridiculous. Last night I went to New Londo which was waaay easier, but still far from a walk in the park. Some areas in there are so completely jacked up, it makes me wonder if the developers tested it (that one corner into the church where you get jumped by about 10 ghosts, and the area before the boss having 4 dark wraiths). After two hours I finally killed the Four Kings, and it was not easy at all. Pro Tip: Bring Fire of any kind, I used Combustion, FireBombs, and Queelags sword. Use combustion/firebombs while you are regaining endurance.

This weekend I'm going for Seathe I suppose. This game ...

After testing dark souls on redbox i had to buy it.

I just killed the Capra Demon but when I first went through the shortcut to firelink the female undead merchant scared the shit out of me and i stabbed her on impulse. Is it worth paying the souls to get access to her again now (something like 44000) Or should i just not worry about it?

After testing dark souls on redbox i had to buy it.

I just killed the Capra Demon but when I first went through the shortcut to firelink the female undead merchant scared the shit out of me and i stabbed her on impulse. Is it worth paying the souls to get access to her again now (something like 44000) Or should i just not worry about it?

Well... she is one of the two merchants that sell humanity, the later only unlockable after tomb of giants for twice the cost. Although you can farm that in the sewers off rats.

She sells the transient curse which allows you to hit the ghosts in new londo, I am not sure where else you can buy that, but once you have at least 1 you can farm the rest in New Londo. The ghosts drop 2 at a time, you can get a stack very quickly, you just need that 1 initial transient curse.

Also if later in the game you plan on banking souls, she is the only merchant who sells dung pie's.

Lost Izalith/ demons ruins and tomb of the giants are quickly killing my love for the game... the blinding aspects of both irritate me enough that I may quit playing after I go kill seathe. Dark souls is fun, but I don't see myself playing through again. Too many stupid tedious parts. And the new lord of the rings game and skyrim come out soon...

Lost Izalith/ demons ruins and tomb of the giants are quickly killing my love for the game... the blinding aspects of both irritate me enough that I may quit playing after I go kill seathe. Dark souls is fun, but I don't see myself playing through again. Too many stupid tedious parts. And the new lord of the rings game and skyrim come out soon...

Feel you man, can't tell you how often (usually after about 2 hours of play) i curse this game to hell, and loathe the developers. On the flipside I always figure it out and am able to move on (sometimes litterally moving on past the enemies that are bugging me and run to the boss). Still feels way more meaningful then any other game out there (to me). Also realize, this game is fairly new, and unlike Demons Souls, we are still figuring out the easiest way to do things. Hell, I didn't get the drakesword until I defeated the Gargoyles, no one even mentioned it yet. There still is a lot of this game being uncovered, and I have no doubt it will get easier as time goes on.

After taking my vacation from Tomb of the Giants, i managed to down both Seathe and Four Kings. Not easy tasks, but after I got my strats down it wasen't bad. Both areas are a walk in the part compared to Tomb. In the process I was able to level my intellect up to 14, and now I can use the cast light spell to hopefully illuminate Tomb of Giants. Otherwise if i can farm 30 humanity, I can activate a shortcut to Lost Izalith to get the maggot helm.

I'm still dreading Demon Ruins, but a buddy of mine told me that after you kill the Taurus demons, they don't respawn, so I plan on just camping out at the bonfire near the entrance and slowly grinding my way through it, and taking advantage of the shortcut mentioned above (from the Sister of Chaos).

I'm still dreading Demon Ruins, but a buddy of mine told me that after you kill the Taurus demons, they don't respawn, so I plan on just camping out at the bonfire near the entrance and slowly grinding my way through it, and taking advantage of the shortcut mentioned above (from the Sister of Chaos).

The Capra demons, however, do respawn. But honestly neither them nor the Taurus demons are difficult one-on-one in a large open space (or a room bigger than a bread box).

Guest AcrossCanyons

I haven't played dark souls in a while. Kinda burnt out around Anor Londo but I was playing A LOT. Might have to start a new character or go do something else for a while.

For what its worth, I actually got through Tomb of the Giants and Nito last night. Cast light spell helped getting to the second bonfire.

I basically raped my Crystal Ring Shield and held a lightning claymore +0 in the other hand. I was able to 1 shot all the enemies to the boss and kill the boss before the durability ran out. I used all my fire orbs and fireballs on the boss, and once those were exhausted I crystal ring'd the boss about 3 times to win.

Just Demon Ruins/Lost Izalith remains.... aka hell

Demon's Ruins is actually an extremely easy area (the path straight to Izalith is, anyway). Taurus demons don't respawn and capra demons are easy enough to kill one-on-one. It takes maybe five minutes to get to the bonfire, then five or ten more to get to Lost Izalith.

i believe every enemy in demon ruins respawns. dont know about the ones guarding the ember though.

edit - @acid1 your buddy might have been talking about the jumping demons in lost izalith.

Yes, I was talking about the Taurus demons guarding the chaos/fire ember. Seems like everything else has respawned so far.

Finally got to First of Klin.

Gonna make the hard decision soon if i want to go back and do everything I can to prepare for NG+, just roll a new second character after the game ends, or just try to beat the final boss and be done with it. Half of me just wants it to be over so I can write some damn music.

DARK FUCKING SOULZ

Going for an evasive/speedy pyromancer in my first run through this punishing game. Any recommendations for a good fast weapon that scales damage with dex? I've just been twatting around with a longsword for now, I've upgraded it to +2 but I'm not sure if that was a waste of titanite. I've got a ton more, though.

I've just fought the bell gargoyles and now I'm heading into the lower undead burg bits. I'm about level 20 and so far I've mostly been boosting my Vit (up to 21) and now I'm focusing on Dex to improve my spell casting speed.

I'm actually quite worried about making stupid, irreversible, game-breaking mistakes.

DARK FUCKING SOULZ

Going for an evasive/speedy pyromancer in my first run through this punishing game. Any recommendations for a good fast weapon that scales damage with dex? I've just been twatting around with a longsword for now, I've upgraded it to +2 but I'm not sure if that was a waste of titanite. I've got a ton more, though.

I've just fought the bell gargoyles and now I'm heading into the lower undead burg bits. I'm about level 20 and so far I've mostly been boosting my Vit (up to 21) and now I'm focusing on Dex to improve my spell casting speed.

I'm actually quite worried about making stupid, irreversible, game-breaking mistakes.

Iaito Blade (found in Blighttown)

Priscilla's Dagger (when you get it much later)

Titanite Shards can be bought so don't worry about wasting them. Worry about wasting Twinkling Titanite, Demon Shards, and Dragon Scales.

Beat this shit tonight. Took the Dark Lord ending.

GOTY imo (won't win tho)

So what was the total playtime for your first run through?

Also, how many times did you go through Demon's Souls?

snapback.png

Iain C, on 31 October 2011 - 03:15 AM, said:

DARK FUCKING SOULZ

For early-game stuff Estoc is a fast weapon with great range, and decent dex scaling. Spears are a bit slower than swords but their range and power more than makeup for it. Scaling is kinda broken at the moment and doesn't give great bonuses until high levels, so don't worry about it for a long time- at this point just focus on finding a weapon with a moveset that feels good to you. Later on you'll want to make Quelaag's Furysword (her soul +a +10 scimtar or other curved sword that is NOT a Katana).

Don't worry about titanite. You canbuy it extremely cheap from the first blacksmith, and the bigger pieces can be bough at Sen's Fortress merchant, so you'll always have access to some, so upgrade all you want. Demon Titanite can be farmed (one titanite demon respaws) and you should normally find enough to get a weapon to +5 and still have some leftover.

At this point you should probably focus on your endurance and dexterity, maybe get you attunement high enough to have 3 spell slots or so... 21 Vit should be more than enough to deal with anything the game throws at you. Just pump end to around 30-40 fairly quickly so you can wear heavier armour and still roll efficiently. Dex never increases attack speed or casting speed, so don't worry about that.

Don't worry about game breaking mistakes building your character, it's impossible to do that... maybe unless you pumped Resistance exclusively and nothing else lol.

Beat this shit tonight. Took the Dark Lord ending.

GOTY imo (won't win tho)

So what was the total playtime for your first run through?

Also, how many times did you go through Demon's Souls?

I clocked in right above 100 hours. I took my time and did a lot of grinding because I refused to soul glitch like my friends did. Now that I know what needs to be done, I'm sure it could have easily been done in about 20 hours.

I went through Demon's Souls 3 times roughly.

Also, new patch out tomorrow:

UP DATE FILE ver1.04

11.2 12:00(JPN time)release

[modified improved main item]

・ Some magic, review of the effect

"Magic shield ", "Strong magic shield",slow effects such as "tranquil walk of peace","Ring of fog","iron flesh"

・ Review of the balance of the ability weapon for the attribute weapon

・ Adjustment of other weapon / Armor / magic

Adjustment of the magic power correction of "pyromancy flame"

・ Matching, adjustment of the multi-play condition

・ Adjustment (total amount acquisition) of the quantity of acquisition soul of the host when defeated a boss by a multi-play

・ When failed in an invasion using "cracked red eye aube",make modifications so that the use number of times does not decrease

・ regulate quantity of Soul acquisition when defeated an enemy

・ Adjustment of the item drop when defeated an enemy

Some bosses drop "humanity" and "homeward bone"

Drop rate adjustment of the reinforcement material which had particularly low drop rate and the oath item

・ Adjustment of the rise in item discovery rate effect by humanity

・ Adjustment of the shop lineup(The product which is added)

Undead merchant (man)

"bottomless box"

Undead merchant (woman)

"Standard arrow", "Large arrow", "Wooden arrow", "Standard bolt", "Heavy bolt", "Wood bolt"

Blacksmith Andrei

"Standard arrow", "Large arrow", "Wooden arrow", "Standard bolt", "Heavy bolt", "Wood bolt"

Domnhole of zena

"Master key" (After he moved to Firelink shrine)

Giant blacksmith

"Standardarrow", "Large arrow", "Feather arrow", "Standard bolt", "Heavy bolt", "Sniper bolt ,"

"Titanite shard", "Large titanite shard", "Green titanite shard", "Twinkling titanite"

"Weapon smithbox", "Armor smithbox", "Repair box"

Blacksmith Vamos

"Standard arrow", "Large arrow", "Wooden arrow", "Standard bolt", "Heavy bolt", "Wood bolt ,"

"Titanite shard", "Weapon smithbox", "Armor smithbox", "Repair box"

Ingward

"Transient curse"

・ The lower part coordinates the oath condition of the oath "Warrior of sunlight" (toon's faith + multi-play success number of times×5≧50⇒Toon's faith + multi-play success number of times×5≧25 )

・ The lower part coordinates the necessary soul of the acquittal (Toon's level×2000souls ⇒ Toon's level×500souls)

・ Adjustment of the equipment weight standard value

・ Adjustment of a lock-on and the lock reshuffling

・ Correction of a case hung up

・ Change of the soul indication of the menu screen when raising toon's level

・ Correction of the phenomenon that magic and an item can use by specific operation endlessly

・ Correction of the phenomenon that the motion of the attack may be late for for approximately one second

・ Correction of the phenomenon that an event of "Solaire of Astra" does not move with NG+

・ The number of the possession of titanites makes modifications of the malfunction that the case beyond 99, the number of the possession become 0 by feeding titanites in "Kingseeker Frampt"

・ Improve unmovable phenomenon stucking in the map at a specific place

・ Some changes of direction subtitles displayed in English with the change of the overseas edition

Archived