IGNORED

Best Guitar to Midi

Audioblysk

I have long struggled with transferring 9 years of guitar playing to a piano roll for quite some time and wanted to see what was up with guitar to midi. I understand most models don't accommodate full chords, but can be used to pick up single notes at a time. Anyone got any experience or tips with best ones to go with?

:cerious: thankses

the basic Roland gk2a midi pickup can do chords fine, the worst thing about the old school style of midi guitar pickups is any sort of fast playing or playing with a lot of pitch bends or hammer-ons won't translate to piano roll well but any sort of slow deliberate playing will work pretty well. You can pick up a pickup like this and a midi brain for about $250.

Yep, my roland gk pickup is great. It all depends on the setup. I seem to have found a sweet spot with mine—sensitive enough for wailing metal solos but not too sensitive. That said, it does still pick up a couple of unwanted notes here and there. But that's just forced me to become a more accurate guitarist!

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I've done A LOT a lot of research into this and from what I've read there is nothing better than a Graph Tech Ghost saddle pickup system being tracked by the late great Axon AX-50 USB(it's too bad you can only buy them used for no less than 400)((they got bought out by some big company and their technology for the AX-50 should hopefully be available under a new manufacturer soon))

I have long struggled with transferring 9 years of guitar playing to a piano roll for quite some time and wanted to see what was up with guitar to midi.

Actually thats a good point. I should get guitar to MIDI stuff as well.

Sorry offtopic but do you as well think you can clearly notice which electronic musician actually played guitar in his past? Like Lones style of synth lines is just too guitar-based to be random and if you check his earliest album he even uses stuff sounding exactly like guitars.

I have long struggled with transferring 9 years of guitar playing to a piano roll for quite some time and wanted to see what was up with guitar to midi.

Actually thats a good point. I should get guitar to MIDI stuff as well.

Sorry offtopic but do you as well think you can clearly notice which electronic musician actually played guitar in his past? Like Lones style of synth lines is just too guitar-based to be random and if you check his earliest album he even uses stuff sounding exactly like guitars.

I don't think my electronic music sounds particularly guitar-y (I'm actually terrible at composing anything interesting on guitar beyond post-rock), though I do tend to write my leads with guitar in mind. Learning to play them on guitar is another story altogether!

flashbulb uses alot of guitar to midi from what I understand.

I think it will open up alot of doors when it comes to composing, especially big chord/pad arrangements for me @ least. Piano isn't my first choice and although I have adapted, I cannot perform the same bends, hammer ons and odd picking/classical plucking without spending hours fiddling with things.

thanks again guys, Its the next thing on the list of gear to grab.

• 1 month later...

The Axon AX-50 USB seems to be quite expensive. Any other ideas for Guitar To Midi Converters? USB Out would be better than MIDI Out, but I guess I can connect the MIDI Out to one of my MIDI Keyboards and than record the MIDI Keyboard via Reason or am I wrong?

Guest Blanket Fort Collapse

I've read very mixed reviews about the I2M, not being poly is really depressing and I wish you could turn off the pitch bend completely (pitch bending is something I've rarely ever heard sound good on most VST synths and samples etc.) I really want guitar to midi for live performances USB into my computer to control VSTs. It's ridiculous there aren't more quality solutions for that approach.

I've used a few VSTs that do monophonic midi conversion pretty well but the latency and pitch detection is sometimes horrible. I can't imagine how the I2M would be dramatically better than what I've tried. I don't think I would be nearly satisfied with anything less than the AX-50 and the Graphtech Saddlepickup system.

Archived